PDA

View Full Version : Carby Idle speed screw?

pebbles
13th December 2007, 05:05 PM
Hi all,
my 3tc in my t18 is not idleing properly,
it will start and then to keep it running i have to revv it, if i dont rev it it the revs will drop down below 1000 then it will die or it will stutter and jump back up to 1200 or so then drop down and die, sumtimes it keeps jumping up from 200- 1200 a couple of times before it dies.

this started happenijng yesturday on my way to a mates house, i was almost there so i jsut used teh handbrake when comeing to a stop and reved as i was doing so, when i got to my mates i popped the hood and found the lid of my aircleaner(which was a homemade carboard one had come off, so i simply thought oh it was just breathing in to much air and popped the stock lid back on(it was on my backseat and went inside)
when i came out a few hours later i expected it to be ok and idle fine, but it was doing the same thing, so the aircleaner must have been ireelevent.
today i took the aircleaner off, and i got it idleing (by adjusting the screw in the picture that only has one thing circled), but i think this is the choke or a mixture screw? because when i rev it it revs and hangs for ages then drops back down(also with this screw i got it idleing high like 2.5k or sumthin, so this im guessing isnt the idle,

can anyoine identify the idle screw out of the ones circled, or can anyone see where the idle screw is if i have missed a screw?

or if anyone has a theory of what my problem is/might be feel free to share

Driftspec
13th December 2007, 05:47 PM
From the side:

The screw under the automatic choke (left side) should be the Fast Idle Adjusting screw.
To the right, should be the Idle Speed Adjusting screw
Next on the right should be the Idle Mixture Adjusting Screw

The one right at the front (under the spring) is the Throttle Positioner Setting Screw

Don't know what the other screw is :(

Check the fuel level sight (the little window behind the spring at the front) to make sure you are getting enough fuel to the car. Screwing in the TP setting screw and the idle speed adjusting screw will effect the idle speed, but you normally use the idle speed screw with the mixture screw to tune the engine, it sounds like there is something else happening to it though. Getting good power? Car revs alright normally?

Might be more of a fuel delivery problem, such as fuel pump, filter, needle sticking. My 4AC occasionally dies for no reason, if I catch it, applying some throttle stops it stalling and then its back to normal. Mine runs rich, so I think it is an intermittent problem with the needle sticking.

Hope this helps :)

pebbles
13th December 2007, 05:59 PM
cool, thx for identifying them, ill ahve a go in a minute,
the car makes good power when running (like bfor yesturday, and would rev fine,) like up to 7k and wouldn't even get valve bounce,
also, with the idle screw, clockwise(inwards) would make it idle higher or lower?

cheers for the help, hopefuly i can get it running, il also check fuel when i go out ther again

pebbles
13th December 2007, 06:11 PM
ok, thx to u for identifying the idle screw i now have it idling at aorund 1.2k which im fine with as thats wher it was bfor,
im not sure if it revs abit slower now coz i cant remember, because i fuckled around with screws coz im an idiot i wil now need to adjust the mixture and stuf because im an idiot lol.
it has about 3/4 fuel in the window when its idling so im assuming thats fine.my mate is comeing over later and we're gunna time it,

who can give me tips on adjusting the mixture? how do i know if its running rich or running lean or running at a good amount?

Driftspec
13th December 2007, 08:48 PM
Fuel level sounds good

I can't remember which way it went, but I have a feeling screwing the idle speed setting screw in made the idle speed higher, while screwing the idle mixture setting in made it leaner. You'll notice it straight away, you won't need to do a lot of adjustment to get a result. You've probably ended up leaning the mixture a bit, which is cool, a rough hand tune should sort that out :)

Glad to have helped too :)

ronin_SPL
13th December 2007, 08:59 PM
Aisan carbys forever have problems they never idle right and dont even bother playing with mixtures just get a 32/36 down draught weber and itll fix all ya problems youll have way more response and youll notice a big difference in power 3tc's respond excellent to a weber and a set of extractors. :rolleyes:

pebbles
14th December 2007, 12:18 AM
i dont have a weber and a set of extracters

ronin_SPL
14th December 2007, 10:38 PM
T18 is selling a weber you shold buy it. :rolleyes: