PDA

View Full Version : Taking out back seats - mod plate reqiured?

Beams
18th April 2009, 07:57 PM
Hi,

Do I need a mod plate for removing the back seats in a car in Victoria. Granted, Ive taken out all the seat belts and replaced the bolts in to the holes.

I heard thats all you need to do. If I need one, whom do I contact (an engineer?) and how much is it roughly.

Cheers,
Mark

ae86
18th April 2009, 07:59 PM
not sure if u needa mod plate but i do know the car costs more for rego and insurance as it will be counted as a two seater, also if ur a red p plater ur not alowed to have a mod plate on your car.

DRFTR86
18th April 2009, 09:37 PM
there are no mod plates in victoria. ring vicroads, you have to book an inspection to change rego details, other than that, no engineering required, vicroads only inspect that the rear seat belts are no longer there

Intense
19th April 2009, 01:08 AM
Actually you don't even need to do that, just remove the seats and seatbelts and it's fine, search it up on the vicroads website

rthy
19th April 2009, 10:20 AM
went to vicroads twice, last year one guy told me they only need inspection and rego update and then this year they said they said u need engineers.

talked to an engineer and said it needs to be engineered.
most engineers charge $800 (for the whole car, doesnt matter if its 1 thing or 50 things)

Beams
19th April 2009, 01:44 PM
I will call them tomorrow and let everyone know what they say.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/ChangeOfVehicleDetails/RemoveAddReplaceSeats.htm

Under the removing seats section, it says not cert is required if original seating is under 10. I would think that would apply to us, but I will call them regardless.

Beams
21st April 2009, 11:05 AM
Update.

Called Road Safety of Vicroads just now.

You need to take the seat belts, seats and all the bolts out. Then go to Vicroads and they'll see you have removed the seats and update the database accordingly. As for more expensive registration, the person I spoke with said it doesn't effect it.

HTH

doridori
21st April 2009, 12:28 PM
This is good news...