PDA

View Full Version : 1zz coil on plug pin allocation...

shelldrake
28th December 2007, 01:34 PM
As in title - I'm desperate to get the correct pin allocation for these coils - apparently they have a built in ignitor for each coil. Please only post here if you know the allocation. I cant afford to stuff it up. :)

Benno
29th December 2007, 10:17 PM
yeah they have an in-built ignitor
I'm pretty sure it's

1. 12V (ignition switched)
2. 5V (Ref. from ecu)
3. Signal (from ecu)
4. Earth

from left to right on the coil pins

I'll confirm that on monday for you.

Jonny Rochester
29th December 2007, 11:40 PM
I can confirm that the above is correct. But I am using a Toyota Manual for 1AZ-FE which I assume is the same.

I will probably use 1AZ coils as I have them already. Does anyone know the difference between 1ZZ and 1AZ coils? And where do I buy the plugs?

Benno
30th December 2007, 12:34 AM
pin allocations are the same between 1zz and 1/2az coils, i think it's just physical dimensions that differ(drop length)

can possablily get plugs for you if you want, I've got a spare camry loom laying around somewhere

be carful with AZ coils, had a recall(on tarago only) with the coils failing under high temp.
i'm pretty sure it was toyota made coils only, denso ones are ok.

Jonny Rochester
30th December 2007, 02:05 AM
Um yeah, I have the coils due to the recall. But I think these ones were working fine when on the vehicle. I am cheap, we will see... Can I buy the plugs or do I just get your plugs off the loom? How much?

shelldrake
30th December 2007, 08:19 PM
Quoting Anthony Kellam-

"Anyway, the 1ZZ coils have igniter built in as well. This is why there are 4 wires. The order from left to right looking at the back of the plug or into the coil connector is:

1> earth (usually white/black)
2>ignition trigger (different colours)
3>ignition confirmation (not needed with aftermarket management)
4>ignition +12V (usually black/white or plain black)"

This doesnt gel what what has been said here though. Looking into the coil, shaft facing down, you would think pin 1 would be on the left.

Benno
30th December 2007, 10:00 PM
like i said, that's only off the top of my head, Jonny said he can back it up.
toyota pin allocations are back-to-front on how you'd logically think(they view left to right on the female side)
Ant has it right, just pins are toyota numbered
I'll confirm the pins tomorrow for you.

and i'll try and suss some plugs out 4 ya Jonny, will drop you a PM tomorrow

shelldrake
31st December 2007, 12:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benno @ Dec 30 2007, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=460690)</div>
like i said, that's only off the top of my head, Jonny said he can back it up.
toyota pin allocations are back-to-front on how you'd logically think(they view left to right on the female side)
Ant has it right, just pins are toyota numbered
I'll confirm the pins tomorrow for you.

and i'll try and suss some plugs out 4 ya Jonny, will drop you a PM tomorrow[/b]

That makes sense actually.

Benno
31st December 2007, 04:50 PM
confirmation, i cheched the manuals and visually check a 1zz-fe corolla today, the pin allocation i gave you are correct but toyota read from the female side, so that means as you look at the pins on the coil(male side) they're backwards.

so Anthony's pinout as looking at the coil are spot-on, and like he said, you don't need the confimation pin on aftermarket systems

Anthony
31st December 2007, 05:15 PM
yeah, ive hooked a few of these up now ;) Toyota do usually use looking into the female side of the plug as the point of reference but ive found it easier when explaining things to ppl to look at the "back" of the plug - or into the socket on the coil itself.

Checked my PM dates - no need to be upset :)

Benno
31st December 2007, 05:27 PM
ouch....that one hurt