PDA

View Full Version : Ghengis Khan Caramels

AsleepAtTheWheel
26th February 2008, 01:37 PM
So, here's the story.

A colleague of mine recently went on a skiing trip to Japan and for the last week or so, has been bringing in little bits of JDM goodness for us to have a go at sharing for smoko (e.g. rice cracker dolls and other usual kooky japanese stuff). Everything has been really good so far.

She turned up yesterday with these:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3671/2049/1600/box2.0.jpg

(Photo stolen from some dude's blog just for reference).

From the word description, they sound like a normal sweet caramel as you'd expect, but the picture tells a very different story. So now I'm thinking that these have got to be some Willy Wonka style meal-in-a-candy and I'm keen to give it a try - I'm a pretty big Japanese food fan, and haven't found anything that really turns me off. I was thinking that maybe they might have been like a teriyaki-style flavour or something similar.

The wrapper came off and it looked like nothing other than your regular run-of-the-mill caramel so I went ahead and ate it. Chewed it about twice before THE FLAVOUR hit me. The only words I can really use to describe the taste was maybe like 3 week old roasted onions soaked in garlic with a hint of meat. YIKES! :blink:

Thought I could ride it out but it just got more and more overpowering. Meanwhile my colleagues are pissing themselves laughing cause of the expressions on my face. I tried to wash it down with a cup of coffee but no result, the flavour just stayed there and I had an instant case of the worst onion breath ever. I was tasting it all day. I can't believe people would eat this stuff voluntarily. If you ever get the chance to try some, DO IT just to see how bad it is. It's got to be experienced to be believed.

Has anyone else met these Ghengis Khan lollies (and I use the term lollies VERY loosely :P) or something similar in their travels?

verm69
26th February 2008, 04:25 PM
bwahahahaha! thats gold :2thumbs:

you have to love whacked out jap stuff... they love making weird things...

I.E....

[attachment=22959:japnese_...ntions_1.jpg]

[attachment=22960:japnese_...ntions_2.jpg]

:lol:

riojin
26th February 2008, 04:38 PM
some of the best and worse stuff comes outta japan. golden thread