PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front ae86 shocks - Help on unscrewing the tops and strut screw. HOW?

Wanabe_Garage
5th March 2008, 04:10 PM
Hi

I can't seem to take off the strut screw that houses the shock cartridge, what tool could I use to do this? I'm using like a pipe wrench becuase it has a big enough mouth but no luck, it can't grip it properly.

also, I have no idea how to unscrew the stock camber tops off, the shock keeps rotating. How do I do this?

thanks

Hen is a total nutcase
5th March 2008, 04:16 PM
1 - Big special tool like a massive, flat, 8sided socket. I welded up a dodgy one once. Or pipe grips if you don't mind digging into the nut.

2 - Rattle gun, or if you don't care about the shocks, hold the shock shaft TIGHT with vice grips and get a socket on the nut (perfect Pick-a-part technique)

Hen

RobertoX
5th March 2008, 04:16 PM
various ways but in a vice is good

big shifter

proper SST

teeth

pursell
5th March 2008, 06:57 PM
As above... a bench vise is your friend :)

Clamp the top hat in the vice (don't overdo it) and
undo the nyloc nut with a normal socket. There should
be a flats on the piston rod that lock into the top hat
and stop the rod from turning.

Clamp the big nut on the top of the strut housing in
the vice, and then turn the strut housing. A length of
wood or a pinch bar wedged between the stub axle
and the strut will give you extra leverage.

Cheers... jondee86

anastasios
5th March 2008, 08:15 PM
yea i use a vice

AmyC
5th March 2008, 08:17 PM
Rattle gun to loosen while still in the car on the ground.

Wanabe_Garage
5th March 2008, 10:54 PM
oh kool most of those things i don't have :o

ill try to borrow them.

thanks for the advice!

Patric
6th March 2008, 09:53 AM
I had this problem before I built a workbench.
I took it to a suspension shop to do. and fit the new cartridge. They only charged me $10.

parrot
6th March 2008, 01:16 PM
Stilsons for the strut insert retainer nut. If the springs are long enough to put good pressure against the strut top, immobilise the strut top by putting a socket bar or big screw driver through two of the strut top studs, then use a long bar on the strut insert nut. Done this a million times. Bear in mind though, that when you loosen the nut right off, point the strut in a direction in which the flying strut top won't do any damage, including your fingers.

If your springs are too short, you will need a rattle gun whilst trying to hold the strut piston.