View Full Version : pinion angle

rockstar
6th March 2008, 10:51 AM
like the title said how many degrees should it be angled
at to get the best traction to the ground for racing

ke70dave
6th March 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm no expert on the adjustable 4-link setup

but i am under the impression that the optimum angle will change alot with individual car setup

so there is no precise measurement that is the "best"

stuff like spring rate, sway bars, condition of bushes, tyre choice (profile etc) will all have an effect on where the "optimum" position for your diff is

i think the best way to go about it, is experimentation with your specific setup

rockstar
6th March 2008, 04:18 PM
r u sure i know alot makes sense with what you just said but surely theres a set angle
that assist with the driveline putting power to the ground?

rthy
7th March 2008, 04:57 PM
too many factors, only trial and error is the sure fire way.

Cameron_Datto
7th March 2008, 09:53 PM
I would try starting between 3 to 6 deg , ( pinion nose down from factory spec ) , It all depends on how much give there is in the bushes ,

harrygat69
8th March 2008, 09:25 PM
spread the word.... pinion angle does not change the amount of traction u get. it only fucks uni joints quicker

what changes traction characteristics is.... if u imagine a line from the top diff mounting points to the lower diff mounting points changing this angle makes a difference
so by shortening or lengthening the upper/lower trailing arms u are actually changing this angle (and also the pinion angle but that doesnt change anything)

rthy
8th March 2008, 09:31 PM
oh interesting, so basicly your saying that people are thinking they are correcting pinion angle when in reality they are changing the anti-squat settings?

af300e
9th March 2008, 12:51 AM
Changing the lengths of the links does have an effect on the anti squat, but it will rat out the uni's and the effect is not enormous. This was discussed in another thread with pics of the roll centres etc for 4 link rears.
Another issue, putting solid bushings eg rose jonts or urethane in all of the 4 link bush points creates a swaybar effect with the diff acting as a swaybar during roll. I'd draw it but i only have paint and its rubbish.

sprintdaddy
9th March 2008, 11:53 PM
putting softer springs and shocks in the rear will help gain you some traction along with other mods, it depends what you are doing, drag?, drift?.

rthy
10th March 2008, 09:52 AM
hey lets go back to the begining, are you running "traction brackets" ??