PDA

View Full Version : S series into ke70

ke70dave
6th March 2008, 01:04 PM
hey folks, i had a bit of search around but couldnt find any definite answers

basically my ke70 (4k engine still) has stock rear end (borgy diff) and i have got

-S series diff of a ADM delivered sprinter
-rear half of tailshaft out of a adm sprinter
-rear half of hand brake cables still attached to the drums on the S series

ok basically my questions are

1) with the mentioned parts will the S series diff bolt into the ke70 rear end and work perfectly
2) will the hand brake cables bolt up to the stock ke70 front half and work well
3) are the slave cylinders the same in ke70 diff as S series diff, reason i ask is that i have brand new ones in ke70 diff atm, and wish to transfer them across.

i havnet recieved the parts yet (still at bahnuggets house!) so i cannot check the stuff myself, but I'm hoping on installing the diff on friday night so i want to make sure i have everything required before i start!!

so just after some definite answers from people who have done this before!

Thanks guys

David

japlish
6th March 2008, 01:10 PM
your stock ke70 tailshaft isn't a 2-piece you know?

Sherlock
6th March 2008, 01:12 PM
Possibly using an AE shaft?

I also wanna know this, I've got an AE shaft, S-series diff and obviously a T50, will all this bolt into my KE?

ke70dave
6th March 2008, 01:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (japlish @ Mar 6 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497641)</div>
your stock ke70 tailshaft isn't a 2-piece you know?[/b]

damnit!!!

is it even possible to put a S series in with a K motor then?

RObErT_RaTh
6th March 2008, 01:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (japlish @ Mar 6 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497641)</div>

I'm pretty sure u can unbolt it jsut near the centre bearing and swap them over, so yeh it is,

because we got the front half of a t-50 to S series shaft and put it on the rear of a k40 to borgy warner shaft for a 4ag conversion, so i don't see y u shouldnt be able to do it the other way

i think the wheel cylinders are different, but I'm not a hundred precent sure, i will have a look at work 2moro if u don't find out sooner

ke70dave
6th March 2008, 01:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KE86_man @ Mar 6 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497648)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (japlish @ Mar 6 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497641)

I'm pretty sure u can unbolt it jsut near the centre bearing and swap them over, so yeh it is,

because we got the front half of a t-50 to S series shaft and put it on the rear of a k40 to borgy warner shaft for a 4ag conversion, so i don't see y u shouldnt be able to do it the other way

i think the wheel cylinders are different, but I'm not a hundred precent sure, i will have a look at work 2moro if u don't find out sooner
[/b][/quote]

yeah I'm alomst certain its a 2 piece.....with a centre bearing, can any one confirm this?

(no I'm not at home, so i can't look under my car:P)

japlish
6th March 2008, 01:21 PM
hmm, the ae71 tailshafts are a single piece, i have a custom single piece tailshaft to suit a k-series box and s-series diff?

RObErT_RaTh
6th March 2008, 01:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Mar 6 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497652)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KE86_man @ Mar 6 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497648)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (japlish @ Mar 6 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497641)

[/b][/quote]

yeah I'm alomst certain its a 2 piece.....with a centre bearing, can any one confirm this?

(no I'm not at home, so i can't look under my car:P)
[/b][/quote]

confirmed, unless there is some strange 1 piece tailshaft out there that i don't know about, and if u have that kidn of tailshaft, i have a spare 2 piece one u can have

Sherlock
6th March 2008, 01:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherlock @ Mar 6 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497643)</div>
Possibly using an AE shaft?

I also wanna know this, I've got an AE shaft, S-series diff and obviously a T50, will all this bolt into my KE?[/b]

Sorry to hijack, but anyone?

RObErT_RaTh
6th March 2008, 10:16 PM
so, u've got the shaft that goes intot he T50, yes it will go into your ke70, but if u keep yoru borg warner diff,( which i probably recommend anyway till u get a t series or stronger), then u need to swap the rear part over with the Ke shaft, to mate it to the borgy, if yoru gonna put your S series in, then u can keep the tail shaft together and it will drop/raise right in

Gullie
6th March 2008, 10:55 PM
my ke70 tailshaft was 2 piece
as is my ae71 shaft. ae71 wagons are 1 piece i think

Sherlock
6th March 2008, 11:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KE86_man @ Mar 6 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498048)</div>
so, u've got the shaft that goes intot he T50, yes it will go into your ke70, but if u keep yoru borg warner diff,( which i probably recommend anyway till u get a t series or stronger), then u need to swap the rear part over with the Ke shaft, to mate it to the borgy, if yoru gonna put your S series in, then u can keep the tail shaft together and it will drop/raise right in[/b]

Yeah I've got AE diff and shaft + 4AC. So I've got T50, S-Series diff and also S-Series shaft. Sick thanks for you help :2thumbs:

ke70dave
7th March 2008, 11:19 PM
ok from tonight we can confirm that

1) my ke70 does infact have a single peice tailshaft, that has a centre bearing in the middle, but it appears that there isnt a way to get it appart into 2 sections (front and rear). and there is no way a ae86 rear section has any hope of bolting up to a my particular tailshaft.

2) an AE86 front section DOES NOT fit into a k40 gearbox, the shafts are completely different. maybe a k50 one is the same as t50, but k40 is definately smaller. the t50 one appears to have a few larger tooth than the rest, while the k40 one appears to have the same spline all around.

3) I STILL HAVE A NOISY DIFF!!!! and the s series is still sitting on the ground there...not in my car!!

so i might have to look into that tailshaft you have ke86_man, as there is something goin on here between ke70 tailshafts......

any ideas on this matter would be greatly appreciated....

Konakid
8th March 2008, 02:43 AM
Just buy a new Borgwhiner or a T series...

RObErT_RaTh
8th March 2008, 02:46 AM
hmmm, weird, i'll have a look 2moro for ya

ke70dave
8th March 2008, 08:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Mar 8 2008, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498746)</div>
Just buy a new Borgwhiner or a T series...[/b]

yes well in a magical world where we all were made of money, maybe i could do that:P

trying to work with what ive got here :2thumbs:

harrygat69
8th March 2008, 09:14 PM
ok this should be everythng u need to no

the diff goes straight in

the hand brake cables are the same between ke 70 and ae86 but to get either to work u need a bit of inginuity with how they mount the outers in the clamps in the tunnel... if u no what i mean... it can be done

the tail shaft out of the car will need to have the back end uni joint cut off and the jap type end welded on ( the end off the 86 shaft ) cost approx 50 to 100$

and the stock shaft should be a 2 piece... they just don't bolt together like the jap shafts do

ke70dave
8th March 2008, 09:32 PM
^^^ yep thats the conclusion ive come to as well

for those interested below is a few pics of the stocko ke70 shaft

i think ill just get a 4ac and stick it in as well (ive got everythign else, but just can't afford the 4age setup)

thanks for the help guys

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/166021.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/166022.jpg

RObErT_RaTh
8th March 2008, 10:38 PM
i dunno how much u checked, but from memory the bolt that i undid to seperate them was just inside that little uni joint, to the right of the centre bearing in the last pic, have a look, and if I'm wrong i'll eat my hat

Konakid
8th March 2008, 11:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3sGTE_AE86 @ Mar 8 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=499014)</div>
ok this should be everythng u need to no

the diff goes straight in

the hand brake cables are the same between ke 70 and ae86 but to get either to work u need a bit of inginuity with how they mount the outers in the clamps in the tunnel... if u no what i mean... it can be done

the tail shaft out of the car will need to have the back end uni joint cut off and the jap type end welded on ( the end off the 86 shaft ) cost approx 50 to 100$

and the stock shaft should be a 2 piece... they just don't bolt together like the jap shafts do[/b]

That will buy you a ke70 diff from a wrecker!

harrygat69
9th March 2008, 10:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Mar 8 2008, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=499081)</div>
That will buy you a ke70 diff from a wrecker![/b]

yes it would... but thats not what he asked :P

AR_AE86
9th March 2008, 11:25 AM
ive just done all this to my ae71. the "s" goes straight in. (used the ae71 brake drums,backing plates, etc - same as ke70). as for the tail shaft for a ke70, use a front 1/2 off a early T18. its the same spline as a ke70 k50-k40. if you can get a one peice shaft made sometime - its alot better than those 2 peice shafts, less vibration & jap ke's had them fitted from factory