PDA

View Full Version : weight reduction

bams_keto
6th March 2008, 01:40 PM
just wondering how much weight i can get out of my ke if i strip it back 2 metal from the front seats back?
will there be enought strip 2 make a differince?

RobertoX
6th March 2008, 01:56 PM
smash all the windows too theres like 10 kg there

Fozz
6th March 2008, 03:39 PM
around 20 -25kgs difference if u strip all the sound deadning out although ull have to deal with hot feet and loud noises

nathanhann
7th March 2008, 02:51 PM
But remember when you smash the windows out that you have to smash them from inside the car so all the glass falls outside the car lol.

ghetto ke
7th March 2008, 03:06 PM
you can shave weight off everything! Say swiss cheese :o

Group A AE86 bits 1 (http://www.rsport.co.nz/AE86/Dads%20Group%20A%2086/Dad's%2086%20010.jpg)
Group A AE86 bits 2 (http://www.rsport.co.nz/AE86/Dads%20Group%20A%2086/Dad's%2086%20011.jpg)
Group A AE86 bits 3 (http://www.rsport.co.nz/AE86/Dads%20Group%20A%2086/Dad's%2086%20013.jpg)

rthy
7th March 2008, 04:55 PM
ah yes the swiss cheese approach, more ironicly usually combined with a decent sized toolbox for emergencies

redsprinter
7th March 2008, 05:03 PM
i was thinking about going swiss chees my bonnet ...

thoughts???

HachiRoku
7th March 2008, 07:41 PM
Get a fiber glass one instead?

MountainRunner
7th March 2008, 07:52 PM
full stripped driver seat only and all fibre glass pannels would be maddd

slydar
7th March 2008, 08:40 PM
there are a couple of parts pictured there i would NOT do that to. brake pedal? a pillar brace? bad idea.

rthy
7th March 2008, 11:29 PM
yeah I tottaly agree, as for the bonnet anyone who who is decent with carbon fiber will be able to make a 5kg one

rich_86
9th March 2008, 12:15 PM
fibreglass can be pretty light friend with a 180 has a fibreglass bonnet 3.5 kgs (very thin and unpainted...) not sure who made it came on a half cut from japan

Gilly
9th March 2008, 03:23 PM
not a fan of swiss cheesing much at all to be honest, once a 86 is stripped there isn't much to drill holes in.

i'd do doors if i had a cage with side intrusion bars

i'd get a fibreglass hatch and bonnet over holesawing them

i can't see a great deal of weight being pulled out of pieces by doing that in all honesty.

i'd rather have the strutural integrity retained than lose possibly 5kg (generous) worth of steel

Benny
7th July 2008, 02:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (741 @ Mar 7 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498379)</div>
you can shave weight off everything! Say swiss cheese :o

Group A AE86 bits 1 (http://www.rsport.co.nz/AE86/Dads%20Group%20A%2086/Dad's%2086%20010.jpg)
Group A AE86 bits 2 (http://www.rsport.co.nz/AE86/Dads%20Group%20A%2086/Dad's%2086%20011.jpg)
Group A AE86 bits 3 (http://www.rsport.co.nz/AE86/Dads%20Group%20A%2086/Dad's%2086%20013.jpg)[/b]
Those links are broken... Mind re-doing them? I'd love to see what they've done.

Dom86
7th July 2008, 03:22 AM
instead of smash the glass :P replace it with perspex. literally save half the weight of original glass.
you can get sheets from bunnings for $50, which was enough to do both rear quarter Glass on my coupe.

doors the same, if you gut them and replace glass with perspex( not recommended for street use or if you don't have a full cage with intrusion bars)

Fiberglass bonnets are not always lighter. my DMAX bonnet is close to stock weight, might even be heavier. deff not "light". but it looks sexy as.
will be changing to carbon fiber one when i can afford it.

turbobrad
7th July 2008, 04:01 AM
Hecktick $355 carbon fiber racing battery bro.

http://www.theracingroom.com.au/pages/a_st...;aid=1672297029 (http://www.theracingroom.com.au/pages/a_standard.asp?cid=-1047353034&aid=1672297029)

Benny
7th July 2008, 04:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonkeyKong @ Jul 7 2008, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557654)</div>
Hecktick $355 carbon fiber racing battery bro.

http://www.theracingroom.com.au/pages/a_st...;aid=1672297029 (http://www.theracingroom.com.au/pages/a_standard.asp?cid=-1047353034&aid=1672297029)[/b]
That is fucking cool.

No i'm not joking.

rthy
7th July 2008, 09:46 AM
theres stacks of weight to be lost in the doors, if its a race car only then pinning the windows up, removing the guts and the intrustion bar would help heaps. Even better have a complete composite door.

turbobrad
7th July 2008, 12:01 PM
I do see the wieght savings in that battery however the casing weighs fuck all, the size and strength of the internals is what would make it!

i still see $300 for a battery as way to expensive, but if i had more dollars than sense....

balistic
7th July 2008, 01:17 PM
That battery is just for wank factor - I have exactly the same spec battery but with a plastic casing and it would weight basically the same. CF in that type of application is simply for looks.

Benny
7th July 2008, 02:15 PM
When you're obsessed with CF, it's awesome. It's bookmarked and will be purchased asap haha.

Sam, I'll be running JBlood cf doors after the rest of the car is sorted out, till then, i'm assuming one can just dremel the door away? How much weight do you think is in it? I wonder how one would keep the handle...

rthy
7th July 2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know how much weight you could take out of it and while the sprinter doors a are considerably long I from my experince found them to be increadibly heavy.

Before I make any other comments I have to ask where exactly is this car to be used and will it have a cage??

Benny
7th July 2008, 04:03 PM
Circuit use only, full cage.

turbobrad
7th July 2008, 04:11 PM
If you got a circuit car and $$$ go for it i reckon.

balistic
7th July 2008, 04:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 7 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557757)</div>
Sam, I'll be running JBlood cf doors after the rest of the car is sorted out, till then, i'm assuming one can just dremel the door away? How much weight do you think is in it? I wonder how one would keep the handle...[/b]

You have to have some form of door trim for the drivers side door - otherwise you end up cutting your arm up to bits in an accident. There are ways to work the door latch if you have no door inner (ie: cable with a loop).

Have you checked out any cars built for sports sedans? On some of them, because they have the engine set so far back in the chassis the driver is forced to sit closer to the side of the car - they cut the door inner out and make a recess for the drivers right arm! :blink:

Benny
7th July 2008, 06:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HighLife @ Jul 7 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557817)</div>
You have to have some form of door trim for the drivers side door - otherwise you end up cutting your arm up to bits in an accident. There are ways to work the door latch if you have no door inner (ie: cable with a loop).

Have you checked out any cars built for sports sedans? On some of them, because they have the engine set so far back in the chassis the driver is forced to sit closer to the side of the car - they cut the door inner out and make a recess for the drivers right arm! :blink:[/b]
If theres no segmented inner door there then theres nothing to cut yourself on! If you sanded the sharp bits of the door down to a rounded shape near the sil etc. then there would be no problems at all. I just can't wait for my carbon doors.. I drove a Racespec GT2(porsche) a few times that had carbon doors, fell in love with them instantly. So light! Thats where the single most weight can be saved it appears, other than sound deadening.

and lol... thats odd.

Donkey Kong, it's more about the ideas that can save weight, not encourangement to do so :P

XaeRob
7th July 2008, 07:11 PM
The propshaft is a big rotating piece of metal under the car, with a big joint half way down holding it to the chassis.

You can get these in carbon fibre and single piece avoiding the heavy link in the middle, can save about 20kg that way.

Not only that, the smaller unsprung weight gives a sharper response to the throttle and less weight in this transmission means more power gets used at the wheels and not lost on the way to turn the heavy propshaft.

Benny
7th July 2008, 07:30 PM
The tailshaft you mean? Yeah i've been thinking about what i'm going to do with that, I want to replace it with something lighter, but really... a carbon one would be worth atleast $1500+ and yes, i'm building a monster, but no, i'm not going to spend that sort of money on something like that in carbon(as fucking awesome as it would be) as if I clipped a ripple strip, with the kind of fragility it possessed it'd snap!

I'm wondering if they can be done in alloy or titanium or something, that way they'd be less prone to breaking, extremely light and durable.

I want it more for the fact that it improves performance and I didn't even think about the fact that it would remove weight from the car! Good thinking 99! Going to have to look into this further.. Would be a mass improvement over stock eh... Acceleration here we come!

balistic
8th July 2008, 10:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 7 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557880)</div>
If theres no segmented inner door there then theres nothing to cut yourself on! If you sanded the sharp bits of the door down to a rounded shape near the sil etc. then there would be no problems at all.[/b]

You don't need to convince me - you need to convince the cams officials who write the rules and will be scrutineering your car.

Benny
8th July 2008, 03:34 PM
Haha fair call.. They'll be in carbon soon enough so it won't matter THAT much..

balistic
8th July 2008, 05:19 PM
There seems to be a lot of BS flying around in this thread!?

For starters, the AE86 prop shaft doesnt even weigh 20kg's so I don't know how you can save that much by replacing it with a CF one! Unless of course its lighter than air! :blink:

They wouldn't make CF prop shafts if they were that fragile that they broke when you hit a ripple strip! They have to be able to transmit all that engine power to your diff, I think too much power and grip will kill a prop shaft before a ripple strip will :blink: CF is stronger than steel when fabricated correctly.

dustyae86
8th July 2008, 05:35 PM
RX8 has a carbon tailshaft stock

Benny
8th July 2008, 05:39 PM
Well I got rolled. Carbon shaft it is lol.

ke70dave
8th July 2008, 05:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HighLife @ Jul 8 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558487)</div>
There seems to be a lot of BS flying around in this forum!?

For starters, the AE86 prop shaft doesnt even weigh 20kg's so I don't know how you can save that much by replacing it with a CF one! Unless of course its lighter than air! :blink:[/b]

fixed up that first line there for ya mate :2thumbs:

also thanks goes out to mums bathroom scales for this pic of a standard S series tailshaft from a ae86

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/173042.jpg

there ya go 9.5Kg for the complete tail shaft, including the center bearing.

now the only information i can find ANYWHERE on the weight of a carbon fibre one, was that they are "typically" half the weight of a steel one, came up in the google results, but when you clicked the link it was dead...stupid google.

taking into account that you still need the uni joints at both ends, i would think that 5kg for a carbon fiber one is about right.

so a saving of about 5kg....worth the extreme price tag? i think not :2thumbs:

note: this isn't taking into account of "performance" advantage of a lighter one, but for the price..it would want to be good!

XaeRob
8th July 2008, 05:58 PM
20kg was a estimate, it just a big lump of metal after all, guess I was a bit out :blush: .

I've seen a ae86 carbon prop shaft before but the guy only narrowed it down to 'got it from Japan' There is a custom carbon prop shop in the UK that makes them but I've never enquired on the price of one.

All other benefits of weight reduction counts with this though, as well as the additional benefits of removing weight from transmission I imagine has similar effect to putting lightweight wheels on. Only negative I can see is as the prop shaft is so low it will raise the centre of gravity slightly.

Benny
8th July 2008, 06:21 PM
XaeRob, more to the effect of putting a lightweight flywheel in, but yeah same idea.

For the performance increase, 5kg's in the transmission is a very good thing, especially when coupled with a lightweight flywheel. It's on the list! Now to find where it can be made.. Topstage maybe?