PDA

View Full Version : Overheating, car being stationary for 2-3 weeks

pebbles
9th March 2008, 04:52 AM
well i finally got around to replaceing my clutch from when it crapped itself a few weeks and got it all done n works fine

so i went for a drive, and tehre are no problems with the clutch
but now my car overheats, prety badly too
car is a ke70
i was driving for no more thatn 5 minutes and it was already at about 3 quarters
the ke never realy got hot unless i gave it heaps of shit up hills, but normal driving it woudlnt break much more than a 3rd.

so what could have happened to make my car overheat now but not 2-3 weeks ago, the last time i drove it,
it has just been sitting jacked up on ramps and axle stands for that time basically.

any help is appreciated, where would i be without this forum haha

-alex

Clinton
9th March 2008, 07:44 AM
your thermostat could be corroded shut maybe?

Javal
9th March 2008, 09:14 AM
Check your coolant level first. i have NO doubts that it your system isn't at full capacity. A slow drip over a few weeks can amount to a liter or two loss.

Thermostat call above is a good one, worth a look.

maxhag
9th March 2008, 09:43 AM
as said, thermostat, Waterpump.
Same thing sort of happenend to me with my VN Commonwhore. I had to replace the crank angle sensor, and i left it for about the same, 2 weeks. When i fixed that, i had the same thing as you. it turned out the waterpump has rusted/coroded and was losing water...

1. Have you checked the water level
2. Can you see water loss under the car etc....?
3. Take out your thermostat. To test it, boil a pot of water and chuck the thermostat it when boiling. Does it open?

pebbles
9th March 2008, 04:29 PM
thankJOo!! javal
just topped it up, not much went in, but it fixed the problem alriught,

my baby is back :) haha

Javal
9th March 2008, 04:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grape_moosha @ Mar 9 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=499291)</div>
thankJOo!! javal
just topped it up, not much went in, but it fixed the problem alriught,

my baby is back :) haha[/b]

Run if for a while until it the thermostat opens (usually about 1/2 way up the gauge) then top it up again. There may be more missing than you think.

Also, i know the feeling. I just got my baby back running / drivable today after... what, 15 months. win.

pebbles
9th March 2008, 04:48 PM
haha heaps good,
will do with the topping up, ill go check it again now,
cheers guys