PDA

View Full Version : best way to mount a ae86 frp lip to front bar

stefan
10th March 2008, 04:41 PM
what methods have you used to mount your lips on your zenki ae86 front bars

the frp lip dosnt sit the best but i can make a plate up and use the middle hole on the bumper

but it sits like half inch off the bumper looks kinda wak

if i can get it in close enough i could use weather seal and fix that small gap

and i used small screws to hold it on on the sides

any way of pulling the lip closer to the bumper? without using screws/pop rivits

rthy
12th March 2008, 05:55 PM
a bit off topic but who made this lip? streeter?

ghetto ke
12th March 2008, 06:20 PM
Cable-tiez! drill 2 holes about an inch apart and thread cable tie through from behind for a stitched look like threading a shoe lace (y)

one on each side and three across the front sorta like this (if you picture the bar from above):

' _ _ _ '

ok if you don't get it I'll find a pic... I saw this on a Auto Gallery Yokohama (not CBY) Levin but it was in Levin & Trueno Magazine I'll scan the pic later.
Sorry its a black and white pic - but it's a white car with a black bumper anyway :P also forgot to mention its zenki lip on kouki bar, but will work on zenki bar too.

Konakid
12th March 2008, 06:27 PM
I think Felix tech screwed his then filled the gaps with some sort of bond, then removed the screws, looks good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Mar 12 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=500921)</div>
a bit off topic but who made this lip? streeter?[/b]

I'm guessing Topstage?

driftism
12th March 2008, 08:10 PM
use sikaflex and some small screws in the corners of the lip, like henry suggested, but i'd leave them in there, you can hardly see them and they add a lot of strength to the mount.

ghetto ke
13th March 2008, 12:54 PM
Taka 8 from 86life (http://www.86life.com/y_fs1.htm) mounts kouki lip lower with brackets from underneath rather than drilling holes through the front of the bar.

www.86life.com is a great site and home of the orginal 15 page AE86 wheel guide ;) a great resource even tho it hasn;t been updated in a while and it's all in Japanese :P

skit
14th March 2008, 09:15 AM
I drilled & bolted mine on. 3 x holes at the front & 1 on each side. Following a suggestion from a mate, I used some gokart bits to mount it - those countersunk capscrew bolts with alloy spacer things that are made to accept the countersunk bolt head. I reckon it looks fine, but some prefer the seamless jdm bracket look.

My lip was pretty wonky too, but 3 bolts on the front pulled it in pretty well. Definetely needed side bolts too

TRD_86
16th March 2008, 12:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skit @ Mar 14 2008, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=501891)</div>
I drilled & bolted mine on. 3 x holes at the front & 1 on each side. Following a suggestion from a mate, I used some gokart bits to mount it - those countersunk capscrew bolts with alloy spacer things that are made to accept the countersunk bolt head. I reckon it looks fine, but some prefer the seamless jdm bracket look.

My lip was pretty wonky too, but 3 bolts on the front pulled it in pretty well. Definetely needed side bolts too[/b]

i used 7 thin bolts on my lip. also i counter sank the bolt heads in, so i could fill em up and sikaflexed it on after that, sprayed it all as one and u can't see the bolts at all. mine was a top stage one too, was a grouse fit though

4door
16th March 2008, 12:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (741 @ Mar 13 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=501449)</div>
it's all in Japanese :P[/b]
from what i see it is all in chinese... but i have a feeling that the pc i am using translates all japanese to chinese automatically.

not sure

stefan
16th March 2008, 10:26 PM
i put it on and painted it up i used door seal and 3 screws looks pretty good now

and its a top stage frp ajps lipu

riceburner
17th March 2008, 06:25 PM
AE86 Club Vol3 or 4 i can't quite remember but Keichii's has several small brackets underneath at the front (hidden out of site) with 1 larger bolt and nut used on each end. look meat aswell.

Ill see if i can find a pic