PDA

View Full Version : HELP new rims rubbing front inner guards

Paw-DK
12th March 2008, 10:55 PM
my situation is when i have my new set of 14x9 -19 on the front with 195 g3s it rubs like hell in the inner guard or behind the tyres
my old rims where 14x7 0 offset on 185s and had no scrubbing issues at all with these rims
my car has powersteering arm knuckles, xt130 LCA, cusco camber tops (dunno if it the normal or low caster version) and sitting low with 8kg coilovers
i don't have an aftermarket tension caster rods just the standard ae86 ones
don't know if the innergaurd has being taking out, being rolled or anything bashed in

soo what do you guys reckon is the problem...
do i need more castor if so how do i adjust the standard rods and can someone hint me on where the tension rod is haha (providing pics)
would putting a spacer anywhere help
or would my friend mr big arse hammer come in play :lol:

if you guys need anymore info please ask and any sort of help would be much appreciated :2thumbs:
its just rubbing like crazy have a look at the pic5 (difference in full lock)
and would it be safe to drive as in would anything be in damage??
(pictures are of the old rims at full lock, new rims at MAXIMUM lock, where it rubs and which ones the tension rod lol)

cheers vince

(NO PICTURES YET FUKIN NET MANG.. will try to post asap)

RObErT_RaTh
12th March 2008, 10:57 PM
EDIT: noticed u edited yoru psot about pics,

so are u saying they only rub on full lock?

driftism
12th March 2008, 11:03 PM
I think your problem is with your rims...

you are never going to get as much lock with 9's as you are with 7's

aaron_86
12th March 2008, 11:10 PM
at my mates house using his account where the net actually works lol
hope the pictures works!

Nikkojoe
12th March 2008, 11:22 PM
Pic with castor rod highlighted:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/166278.jpg

rthy
12th March 2008, 11:32 PM
have you bashed in that lip of metal on the inside of the gaurd on the door side?

where is it rubbing exactly?

harrygat69
13th March 2008, 10:17 AM
yeh as sam said bash that seam flat and remove the bolt that holds in the inner guard... there is one directly in the way

and then wind the castor rods right foward and get a wheel alignment

and if ur still running the plastic inner guards u will need to trim a ridge out of it at the front edge...u will see which bit i mean when u drive it in a straight line and it rubs over bumps...

johl
13th March 2008, 11:32 AM
have u removed the lock stoppers on the xt130's? by the look of it they wouldn't be quite hitting yet but mine used to so i ended up grinding them completely off

Konakid
13th March 2008, 06:01 PM
Remove the inner guard completely then take it to a wheel aligner and get them to dial as 3.5 degrees of castor into it. It looks like you are running little or negative castor!

You will need to modify the front bottom of the guard to clear the tyre afterwards by cutting it.

9J is a bit too wide for the front, 8.5 is about as far as you would want to go so you don't have problems with lock and clearance, especially if you have powersteering arms.

harrygat69
13th March 2008, 07:56 PM
i have 9 inch wheels with 205 tyres and i have as much lock as is possible without moving the steering rack foward
and ive managed to get everything to clear... ive even got 4.5 deg pos castor... altho i have got 20 mm wider front guards

and standard castor is usually between 2 and 2.5deg pos...

Konakid
13th March 2008, 08:34 PM
^^The 20mm is making the difference, i was talking bout stock guards. 9 would be awesome with the wide guards!

Paw-DK
14th March 2008, 07:02 PM
thanks all for helping out!!
soo i need to adjust the 'tension castor rods' shorter to get more castor.. hopefully it would help the scrubbing
well my car has pumped guards (when my cars steering is straight i can fit my finger tightly in with my 14x9 -19 to the guards)
i think the lip of metal on the inside of the gaurd on the door side has already been bashed ^
honestly i don't know what the inner guard is :lol: but inside my guards looks just the underbody shit soo it should be taken out already
can someone explain to me what lock stoppers are on the xt130??
coz i really can't see whats touching the tyres which doesnt allow it to go full lock everything is to tight soo it could be the lock stoppers
(and one thing when i raise my car abit full lock can be done

so has anyone else had the same problem i have?
cheers yo

rthy
14th March 2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148460.jpg

see the little tab welded on the side of the arm?

here is the same arm at the bottom after it was chopped off:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/148465.jpg

ghetto ke
14th March 2008, 08:26 PM
maximise castor +4 degrees plus - get aftermarket casterrods if possible to allow further adjustment than stock ;)

Paw-DK
16th March 2008, 07:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Mar 12 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=501235)</div>
have you bashed in that lip of metal on the inside of the gaurd on the door side?

where is it rubbing exactly?[/b]

well sam was actually right :lol: that fukin lip was just touching the passenger side rim
and have adjusted the castor tension rod all the way forward :2thumbs:
i havent grinded off the lockstoppers just bashed in it flat
(dunno if its normal but one strange thing is when turning full lock to the right it hit the lockstopper but when full lock to the left the steering came to a end on full lock before even touching the lockstopper prob by 2 3cm.. are my tierod ends meant to be the same length on both sides??)

and with 9s i thinks it gave a tad less lock than on the 7s
thanks for the help people
vince