PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body cleaner

DAMO46
14th March 2008, 03:20 PM
I just bought some carby and throttle body cleaner in a spray.
I know you use this to clean the actual throttle body but how bout the intake manifold while its bolted on?
is it okay to spray in there or will it cause damage as that runs into the head?

lowau
14th March 2008, 04:07 PM
Spray in there while the engine is running, maybe reving it a bit as it will die down a bit, it cleans everything.

Just make sure they carby cleaner is safe for oxy sensors(alomsy all are).

rthy
15th March 2008, 02:33 PM
damn I am wary of that, if you do it, then do a bit at a time so that you don't wash the oil off the bores of your cylender walls

Sidey
17th March 2008, 01:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (damo46 @ Mar 14 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=501991)</div>
I just bought some carby and throttle body cleaner in a spray.
I know you use this to clean the actual throttle body but how bout the intake manifold while its bolted on?
is it okay to spray in there or will it cause damage as that runs into the head?[/b]

if this is for a tvis 4age, one mechanic told me to do it and as lowau said, u gotta keep the revvs up.
But, then another toyota mechanic told me this was a bad idea. there is a seal inside that has a film of grease/wax in the idle valve controller and carby cleaner dissolves this coat. This coat is essential to its operation and longevity, Idle valve controllers are relatively expensive to replace too (about 300 new)

rthy
17th March 2008, 01:51 PM
the idea of spraying anything that disolves oil into an intake of a running engine sounds like mechanical suicide to me, but I could be over-reacting.

That toyota mechanic sounds like he knows what he is talking about even though I have never heard of such a thing.

ghetto ke
17th March 2008, 01:54 PM
spray liberally but don't stand too close - that shit is mad flammable!!! :!secret:

Sidey
17th March 2008, 02:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Mar 17 2008, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=503252)</div>
the idea of spraying anything that disolves oil into an intake of a running engine sounds like mechanical suicide to me, but I could be over-reacting.

That toyota mechanic sounds like he knows what he is talking about even though I have never heard of such a thing.[/b]

yep he pulled it out of my car and showed me, it was a while back but it was like an o ring if i remember correctly.
Apart from that, I know of no other damage caused when spraying while engine is running. A bit of semi disolved oil into the combustion process wont hurt. turns it into a pseudo 2 stroke for a couple of secs ;) but seriously, rotaries have a trickle feed of oil injection into the combustion process. there is no no danger to motor.

Also i have sprayed cleaner down the throat with butteflies held open and no fire ! any flammable gas from the spray cleaner is sucked into the cylinder and mixed with fuel and once inlet valve in head is closed, it then is detonated by spark plug, so no hope of fire by spraying direct down there. u would have to be spraying it at a dizzy or solenoid which was arcing to ignite for eg.

rthy
17th March 2008, 02:54 PM
oh interesing.

I have heard a report of someone using too much spray and it soposedly washed the oil off the bores causing the engine to seize

Gunner
17th March 2008, 03:31 PM
there is special ceaner for the engine don't use carby cleaner, as was said that wax does not like heavy amounts of carby cleaner. u may well find like aot of cars that wax is on the throttle body as well, spray it on a rag and wipe clean DO NOT JUST SPRAY IT ON, removal of that wax may result in a bad idle as supposedly that wax is there for clearance of the butterfly or somethin like that

DAMO46
17th March 2008, 04:34 PM
i just sprayed it in.