PDA

View Full Version : Installing AE86 front springs

Sidey
16th March 2008, 11:59 PM
I have a pair of front springs - Lovells for AE86 - apparently 30mm lower than Standard (came with car) still in box. Wanting to replace the cut springs that came with the car when purchased.
Anyone have any opinions on these springs for a daily driver, anyone else use these springs ?
I have searched both tech sections and noone has specifically said they have changed their own springs & how easy/hard it was. I didnt think it would be very difficult but not sure. I dloaded the PDF for the AE86 manual but not sure it specifically deals with just focussing on straight-up remove and refit springs. it goes into how to undo everything... . They talk of spring compressors too which i don't have but i thought i might be able to get away with it considering the free standing height of the cut springs and the new springs will both be shorter than stock/

Is there a quick way to just remove and fit springs ? a quick procedure rundown if you've done it before?

Secondly, i believe the car will sit a bit higher as a result. would you agree i will need to get a wheel alignment done too ? It had previously been set with a bit of toe-in and obviously had a bit of neg camber due to the cut springs.

Will i need to replace front shocks too. I am unsure what is curently in there (mandrel blue i think)?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Jonny Rochester
17th March 2008, 12:23 AM
It is a regular job any mechanic can do easily with the right tools. And any backyard mechanic can do it also, even with the wrong tools.

It is best to just get out your tools and have a go.

Sidey
17th March 2008, 08:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Mar 17 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=503117)</div>
It is a regular job any mechanic can do easily with the right tools. And any backyard mechanic can do it also, even with the wrong tools.

It is best to just get out your tools and have a go.[/b]

Is there a more direct procedure than the AE86 manual ? go you have basic guidelines or is it a bit too involved to explain in a forum? suspension is one of the things i have worked least with...

biggo
17th March 2008, 10:03 AM
its not really hard

pull wheel off
unbolt caliper
unbolt strut
pull strut out
Depending how long your shocks/spring combo is you may need a pair of spring comprssors
VERY IMPORTANT- to get the strut tops off i just grap a rag and muulti grips and grip the very top of the shock piston to undo the strut nut.

there now just do it in reverse

Gullie
17th March 2008, 10:29 AM
easier to loosen strut top bolt before the car is even jacked up. Getting a mate to sit on the quarter panel helps if the shock just spins.

anastasios
17th March 2008, 11:33 AM
man just take a look at what bolts connect to what, start by jacking the car up u don't need no takumi manual to take out a spring especially if they are cut

Sidey
17th March 2008, 12:06 PM
i do want to give this a go, but still a bit unconfident purley because i've worked on almost all other components and electricals except for suspension...
a guy who doesnt own an ae86 mentioned that if you undo the lower controll arm it could be done without remove the nuts from the strut tower in the engine bay, I'm guessing this is not an option with the ae86.
i think i will just make a start. yes car is jacked up and wheel is off since last night.
will it all go back together without affecting alignment castor and so on if i just try to wing it based on "biggo"'s guide?
[attachment=23762:DSC05695.jpg][attachment=23763:DSC05697.jpg][attachment=23764:
DSC05698.jpg][attachment=23765:DSC05699.jpg]

biggo
17th March 2008, 12:42 PM
i see what your mat means

the way Guille and I are stateing it, you LOOSEN the strut nut but don't undo it. leave the strut top on when you take the strut out. If you undo it, you will really need to strong arm it back in cos they can get quite heavv after 2 or so mins.

You can leave the lower control arm in too, just loosen it

anastasios
17th March 2008, 01:10 PM
take off 3 top bolts, take off 2 bottom bolts take off caliper, the end

Sidey
17th March 2008, 01:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (anastasios @ Mar 17 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=503239)</div>
take off 3 top bolts, take off 2 bottom bolts take off caliper, the end[/b]

why take caliper off btw? no need to remove brake line though is there?

biggo
17th March 2008, 03:56 PM
no, unbolt caliper, slit the brake line holder and viola! brakes are still on the car whill struts are not

Sidey
17th March 2008, 04:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Mar 17 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=503323)</div>
no, unbolt caliper, slit the brake line holder and viola! brakes are still on the car whill struts are not[/b]

thanks biggo
damn, i just inspected the rubber brake line between the wall and the tower... lots of miniature cracks.. prob wont handle any weight on it till i replace it.

btw that looks welded onto the strut tower i tried moving it b4 hehe!

Sidey
17th March 2008, 08:51 PM
does anyone also have an opinion on these TFL-33 Lovell springs ? anyone else use them ?

and would i need to get a wheel alignment if i get these new springs in since it will sit a bit higher than my cut springs?

biggo
18th March 2008, 09:56 AM
you should not need an alignment if you just swap the springs. That is it you don't touch the toe/caster rods.

i used lovells in my green keto, they were cut a bit but with decent shocks (i used koni's) its a dream to drive. Ive gone stiffer now tho.

Sidey
18th March 2008, 08:03 PM
Ahh thanks biggo, good to hear someone else has tried them out on AE86DC.
yeah I'm keeping it daily, so not looking for any stiffer, but i reckon its gonna sit higher at the front than the back now once they are in :( It will be tempting to cut them like u did but i wont coz wanna keep it all legit since thats why I'm taking the cut ones out
maybe not needing wheel alignment fix, but i reckon it will need to fix the toe because it wont sit as low anymore. that was my suspicion anyway
yeah i got koni reds in rear but i think just monroe blue in front, but could be quite old. i should really change shocks at same time yeah ? since the springs are going in.
old shocks and new springs wont compliment each other.
so u really notice the different with koni and those lovell springs, these cut springs and monroe shocks have been in since i owned the car so i know nothing different to this setup hehe

biggo
18th March 2008, 08:45 PM
lol never better, koni reds are my life

i run them in in my 86 coilovers too (previosly had ke70 struts) with 9kg springs ill never complain.

get some half decent shocks while you have the srtuts out, it will save alot of hassle when you do get some.

Sidey
18th March 2008, 10:49 PM
ok so anyone recommend what would be the most suitable Shockers to put in along with Lovells TFL-33 (Lowered front springs (30mm lower than stock they claim) Lovells couldnt tell me much. (daily driving car)
What would be the best shocker/spring combo...