PDA

View Full Version : Diff Whine Help??

RussianMafia000
17th March 2008, 06:22 PM
When I first got my LSD installed it was fine making hardly any noise. But after driving the car for a while it was gradually getting a bad noise. It seemed to get alot worse after taking the car out to Willobank drags for a night.

The Diff/rear end is from a Hilux and is using a LSD from a new model hilux which has been shimmed/tightened before I bought it to the point of where it acts just like a locker. I'm also only using normal diff oil, not LSD.

The noise happens whenever I back off the throttle completely, only a very slight whine that I can hardly hear when starting to accelerate. It has a sort of crunching/whining noise when I let off completely. New carrier bearings went in with the LSD but that was all.
Anyone got any ideas as to what it is???

Javal
17th March 2008, 06:50 PM
Use LSD oil.

stefan
17th March 2008, 06:53 PM
banana peel

AmyC
17th March 2008, 07:05 PM
Like Javal said USE LSD OIL, Normal diff oil in a LSD centre is a big no no.

RussianMafia000
17th March 2008, 07:33 PM
Bananna peel lol? I'll get some LSD oil tommorow and throw that in. Would that most likely be the cause of the problem?
Would I have done damage?

R1CHYY
17th March 2008, 07:42 PM
put some banana peels in there to stop the whine lol...but seriously LSD OIL MAN! not sure what sorta LSD it is but the clutch packs within usually need special oil

RussianMafia000
17th March 2008, 07:54 PM
Lol ok cool, I'll get some oil tommorow and throw that in. Should it stop the whine or just be better for the actual diff?

AmyC
17th March 2008, 08:20 PM
It could make it silent again or using the wrong oil may have fucked it.

If its damaged the damage will be in the clutch plates.

Benno
17th March 2008, 08:40 PM
i'd suggest some nulon oil stableizer too, it's good shit

E7
17th March 2008, 10:19 PM
what about wheel gearings or diff bearings?

i have just changed my diff and it has whining and its not LSD and has LSD oil, would this create whining? or the bearings?

sorry to hijack just using this to sort things out :P :)

Jonny Rochester
18th March 2008, 12:32 AM
Goody: The whine you have is most likely from the crown wheel and pinion, and not for the LSD itself. Your situation is very very common.

To begin with the open diff centre was probably ok. Then you took the crown wheel off, left the pinion in there, and put the LSD in with the old crown wheel. The common mistake is, did you adjust the backlash and bearing preload properly, and did you double check the tooth contact pattern also?

There is a small chance you can quiten down the noise with thicker LSD oil, but chances are the damage is there for good.

Also, if you had previously run a locker and snapped an axle, the housing has to be cleaned of all broken bits, of course.

dustyae86
18th March 2008, 07:35 AM
sounds like your axle bearings

steroidchickens
18th March 2008, 08:33 AM
i also doubt that LSD oil will fix the wine.
the wine usually comes from either the bearings, pinion or crown wheel.
has the diff had enough oil? sometimes oil starvation can lead to a nasty wine.

but definetly put LSD oil to help with the LSD

ru486
19th March 2008, 05:12 PM
Mine also whines incredibly loudly - to the point where conversation is impossible and the stereo is inaudible at full volume. It was loud when I got the car, but is getting louder. Changing the oil never made any difference to it. Yesterday I noticed the seal had gone again and half the oil had leaked out which can't have been good. What parts would need replacing to shut it up? Are there any other parts that could create such a noise, like the tailshaft? Its hard to stick your head under there while driving to figure out where the noise is coming from!

Jonny Rochester
19th March 2008, 05:19 PM
Crown wheel and pinion set. Plus bearings.

E7
19th March 2008, 08:37 PM
takes quite a while to do it right as well :(

so complacated i rekon but it is easy if you do them quite a lot i guess, you a mechanic Jonny?

RussianMafia000
19th March 2008, 10:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Mar 19 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=504483)</div>
Crown wheel and pinion set. Plus bearings.[/b]

Where is the best place to get a set? The bearings were brand new when the diff was put in, should I look for a 2nd hand crown and pinion or only go new?