PDA

View Full Version : "LIMP MODE"

Mr Fujiwara
23rd March 2008, 12:40 PM
TOPIC CHANGE: (am i allowed to do this?)

My car will not stop running in limp mode, i was informed in this thread that perhaps it was my Map sensor, i removed the plug, the car revved up breifly and then the car stalled as per normal, i plugged in and unplugged every other plug that was interchangeable....and the car did not behave any differently.

what other sensors are there that would be faulty and fooling the ECU into emergency "limp mode"?

is it worth getting a better condition (one which is confirmed to be working) Coil and possibly dizzy? i really have no idea and ive tried searching the web and this site, so far, no luck.

Previous topic/question:

Are various 4age coils all the same? i suspect my coils a bit stuffed as my idle is rough and my timing light is firing in a really strange way, so i assuming its sparking in the same way. and the car is gutless at 3-4000rpm + and blowing bucket loads of black smoke!

i was looking to get a new/better condition/working coil from anywhere, and i know of a few 4age's in some wreckers around Melbourne, and if they are all relatively the same, i will be going to buy one asap.

also, does anyone know where i can get a dizzy rebuilt/repaired in Melbourne? i know of one place but truth is ive forgotten the name.

cheers guys,

PS. sorry for a lot of random posts lately

parrot
23rd March 2008, 12:45 PM
I have asked previously at Performance Ignition if they could rebuild a genuine dizzy with new pickups etc and the answer is no, the pickup coils are only available genuine, and then I think only as a complete distributor.

The seals, o rings etc are easily available but clearly not what you are thinking about. That they will do.

I have used various bigport coils on my AE86. I would be surprised if there was any difference between any EFI Toyota coils that externally look the same. As for the later coils, I would be interested to hear from someone who knows too.

Mr Fujiwara
23rd March 2008, 12:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (parrot @ Mar 23 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506265)</div>
I have asked previously at Performance Ignition if they could rebuild a genuine dizzy with new pickups etc and the answer is no, the pickup coils are only available genuine, and then I think only as a complete distributor.

The seals, o rings etc are easily available but clearly not what you are thinking about. That they will do.[/b]

far out, how much is a new Jap bigport dizzy new?

i went to bursons a while back and they didnt have any 4age dizzy that fit my car propperly, the ae82 bigport (i belive) one was just soo close but the bolts were too tight to put in, therefore i can safely say its not meant to go on there.

my rotor and the pickup in my dizzy are F*&^ked they are so worn, I'm surprised if they even touch.

parrot
23rd March 2008, 12:59 PM
You can put any bigport dizzy into any bigport engine. Just potentially messier depending on what style of leads you have.

You do however need the right cap for the right dizzy if that is what you mean.

Mr Fujiwara
23rd March 2008, 03:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (parrot @ Mar 23 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506273)</div>
You can put any bigport dizzy into any bigport engine. Just potentially messier depending on what style of leads you have.

You do however need the right cap for the right dizzy if that is what you mean.[/b]

haha yeah thats what i meant, hmm it might be a much better option to pinch a whole new dizzy from wreckers and buy over the shelf parts, as it would be an ADM part (if it was from an aussie 4age)

parrot
23rd March 2008, 04:53 PM
Still 20 years old, but I don't think there is any choice really

Nikkojoe
23rd March 2008, 10:42 PM
Check your map sensor. Sounds exactly like my problem when the map sensor was not connected. Check vac line to map sensor for any cuts or rips, check map sensor plug to see if any of the terminals have been pushed in (which was my problem, engine going into limp mode thinking map sensor was not connected). Try unplugging the map sensor from the connector and see if the car stalls. If it stalls, it means its working, if no change it aint working.

When I first got my 4age running it would have loads of torque then hit a wall at 3500-4000rpm then struggle to rev. Thought it was timing, but timing light was showing wack readings, engine ran really rough and was very very very rich/overfueling. I swapped my coil with my mates coil, his dizzy and various things to no avail. Only when i discovered the problem, it all went away :)

Mr Fujiwara
24th March 2008, 02:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Mar 23 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506586)</div>
Check your map sensor. Sounds exactly like my problem when the map sensor was not connected. Check vac line to map sensor for any cuts or rips, check map sensor plug to see if any of the terminals have been pushed in (which was my problem, engine going into limp mode thinking map sensor was not connected). Try unplugging the map sensor from the connector and see if the car stalls. If it stalls, it means its working, if no change it aint working.

When I first got my 4age running it would have loads of torque then hit a wall at 3500-4000rpm then struggle to rev. Thought it was timing, but timing light was showing wack readings, engine ran really rough and was very very very rich/overfueling. I swapped my coil with my mates coil, his dizzy and various things to no avail. Only when i discovered the problem, it all went away :)[/b]

sorry to be asking for spoon feeding here....what does a map sesor look like...where is is located and what kind of plug does it have! haha, i just this connected a black plug on the fuel rail side of the plenum, and re-connected with a blue plug whcih was near by. and also there was a black box connected via vacuum line, which had a one-way valve in it, which would have been preventing vacuum getting to this black box.

Mr Fujiwara
24th March 2008, 06:02 AM
Alright, i did everything that i could think to do, i unplugged the MAP, and the car stalled, i played around with some more plugs and nothing seemed to change the behaviour of the car.

i have been thinking, i have power hard wired to my coil (through a relay), this (if my Tacho was hooked up) MAY be preventing pulses which the tacho needs to detect in order to work, i realise the ECU gets this signal from a different wire but i was thinking is it possible it may not be workin beacuse i have read somewhere that the ECU likes to have input from the coil regarding engine RPM and this can put the computer into Limp Mode.......I'm just having desperate stabs in the dark here, someone has to know whats going on.

thanks anyway

Gunner
24th March 2008, 08:47 AM
u need to do a check light test dude, its too early and i can't remember the pins, its e7 and e somethin i think, do a search and u shall find

Mr Fujiwara
24th March 2008, 10:22 AM
yeah i read about that check thing, but i will need to figure out where my engine warning light is for one, and how to connect it to the correct place, this car is a butchered mess, cleaning up other peoples handy work...funfunfun!

slydar
24th March 2008, 10:44 AM
make sure you don't have the water temp sensors at the back of the head around the wrong way. that does some funny things.

Gunner
24th March 2008, 12:45 PM
i would of ripped it out and started again lol

slide86
24th March 2008, 12:56 PM
its not the ECU its self is it.....

can you get another one to try

Hen is a total nutcase
24th March 2008, 01:05 PM
Fix your wiring. Otherwise you will be forever chasing your tail. A soldering iron and a bunch of heatshrink are your friends.

You may even be best off pulling it all and running the loom again as gunbz-r suggests.

In any case you most likely wont have a check engine light. You'll need to add one between 12V and the W wire out of the ECU.

Mr Fujiwara
25th March 2008, 06:50 PM
hey guys,

1. is a GZE map sensor differnt to an Atmo 4AGE?? i suspect it is.

2. the fact i used to have GZE and have retained the GZE map sensor would explain why my car is running in limp mode? as its thinking it should have positive pressure yet it has extreme vacuum.

if not, i will be engine checking tomorrow.

Nikkojoe
25th March 2008, 11:38 PM
Wait, you are running the gze map sensor?

Could be the problem (though i think it might still work). Get an ae82/bigport 4age one.

slide86
26th March 2008, 01:11 AM
i think that the internals in the map sensor would have to be different, as you said.

the GZE one would see 6psi positive pressure, but an atmo 4age one would never see any positive pressure.

definetly replace with an atmo one

Hen is a total nutcase
26th March 2008, 11:59 AM
READ THE CODES OUT OF THE ECU. That will explain why it is in limp mode (if it in fact is).

And yes, a GZE MAP sensor won't be crash hot with a GE computer.

Hen

Mr Fujiwara
27th March 2008, 10:25 PM
i seriously must have brain damage, i had forgotton already in such a short period of time, that my GZE infact was AFM. so therefore i can rule that out.

just did ECU check thingo, i got

FLASH FLASH (2 or so second pause ) then FLASH x 11 then 4.5 second pause and it repeats.
*between flashes there would be a .5-1second pause)

i can't find anything this relates to on the whole list of codes i've found online.....hope maybe someone else has seen this sequence?

parrot
27th March 2008, 11:01 PM
Go here (http://www.aeu86.org/index/technical-ae86-manuals/cat/9/topic=5158), download the 4AGE engine diagnostics manual and look at page 1-7. Then go to the appropriate page to fix your problem

Nikkojoe
27th March 2008, 11:57 PM
Code 2 seems to be map sensor (intake vac signal problem) so check wires for continuity and possibly try another sensor.

Code 11 wont throw the engine light on so wont cause you too much dramas...