PDA

View Full Version : brake uprade for ae86 front struts?

gaz20v
24th March 2008, 03:31 PM
I have been searching around for info for my brake upgrade options,

So you know where i stand, I have an ae71 and have bought some ae86 coilovers, I am going to be using a T series diff that has solid 258mm discs and matching calipers on it already.

I have a pair of ra60 calipers that have just been reco'ed (was going to use ra style front end but went for ae86 instead) and would like to use them if i can.

I also have a pair of calipers from a ae102r that have a 256mm rotors and may use these depending on if they will suit or not.

The main objective is to have a good powerfull brake upgrade for the front that will match the rear without too much hassel. ( I know i have to change master cylenders and bias valve)

I have considered using the ae102r rotors, redrilled to mount to the rear of the hub as the offset is similar, perhaps only 10mm different, but i wouldn't be happy with the amount of metal left being that there is already holes drilled in the rotor.

'Can anyone tell me what difference changing overall offset of the brake setup has?? obviously the lower the overall height of hte rotor the more chance the caliper will foul the inside of the wheel etc??

also, what are the pro's and cons of just using a deeply offset rotor and placing it over the front of the hub and held in by the caliper and clamping of the wheel on the hub??

thanks for any help

Hen is a total nutcase
24th March 2008, 04:45 PM
In my opinion it doesn't matter if it bolts to the back or the front of the hub.

The bolts holding it to the back are fairly small, but I've heard of people tapping them bigger. And I never had issues hanging 280mm redrilled discs off them.

Bolting them to the front increases track slightly, but you can run into issues clearing the hub.

Just go with whatever you can get to work. I think the hardest part will be finding a way to mount the calipers to the strut. AE86 struts use a bolt on caliper mount plate. So you'll probably have to make an entire new one of these if you want to keep your current struts.

Hen

gaz20v
24th March 2008, 05:39 PM
cheers for that,

the plan is to make a caliper adapter out of plate steel, this is the usual way i assume??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
And I never had issues hanging 280mm redrilled discs off them.[/b]

when you did this did you research the offset or height of the disc or just space the caliper to suit??

with regards to hub clearance i read that the magna to ae86 conv they machine the hub down?? would this take much strength from the hub in anyones opinion??

Hen is a total nutcase
24th March 2008, 06:54 PM
Making an adaptor out of plate steel would be great, but it could well be very tricky to find a suitable caliper and disc combo that doesn't need a stepped adaptor.

I chose the disc I did so the caliper would clear the spokes of my wheels. Turned out the wheels I had had the smallest clearance of any in the known world. And then I made an adaptor to suit.

Hen

gaz20v
24th March 2008, 07:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hen is a total nutcase @ Mar 24 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506937)</div>
Making an adaptor out of plate steel would be great, but it could well be very tricky to find a suitable caliper and disc combo that doesn't need a stepped adaptor.

I chose the disc I did so the caliper would clear the spokes of my wheels. Turned out the wheels I had had the smallest clearance of any in the known world. And then I made an adaptor to suit.

Hen[/b]

so basically it doesnt so much matter if its shallow or deep disc, just as long as the caliper clears and a suitiable adapter can be made??

has anyone had troubles with calipers etc hitting suspension components??

Javal
24th March 2008, 07:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gaz20v @ Mar 24 2008, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506952)</div>
so basically it doesnt so much matter if its shallow or deep disc, just as long as the caliper clears and a suitiable adapter can be made??

has anyone had troubles with calipers etc hitting suspension components??[/b]

If you mount the caliper in the stock position you will have no troubles.

Rear mounted calipers are tricky, as they (depending on size / thickness) sometimes foul on the strut, or the steering arm / tie rod / LCA.

The rim is the other thing you'd worry about the caliper fouling on, but if you're building your car properly than you'd get some wheels with offset to suit.

AJPS has an FC RX7 bolt on brake upgrade that is in the final stages of construction if you're interested.

gaz20v
25th March 2008, 10:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Mar 24 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506960)</div>
If you mount the caliper in the stock position you will have no troubles.

Rear mounted calipers are tricky, as they (depending on size / thickness) sometimes foul on the strut, or the steering arm / tie rod / LCA.

The rim is the other thing you'd worry about the caliper fouling on, but if you're building your car properly than you'd get some wheels with offset to suit.

AJPS has an FC RX7 bolt on brake upgrade that is in the final stages of construction if you're interested.[/b]

yeah the rx7 option sounds quite the go but i have quite a few bits i cud use already in the garage so I'm gunna try use them first.

ra60 are front mounted brakes like ae86, ae86 are front arent they????

dr1ft-pig
25th March 2008, 10:10 PM
yep they are gareth

gaz20v
28th March 2008, 10:54 PM
*update*

I have begun the attempt to fit ae102r rotors and either ae102 or ra60 calipers (ra60 are close enough i hope as they carry the same width rotor and only 3mm more diameter rotors)

I have had a mate machine the centre hole of the rotors out to 64mm and chamfered to match the hub and they are now at the engineers to drill the holes to mate them to the back of the hub

fingers crossed they don't foul the LCAs, they are 3mm higher in offset than the mini rotors people use for rx7 conversions so yeah, have to see how we go i guess!!!

I will post pics when i get them