PDA

View Full Version : RA60 parts on AE86

riojin
25th March 2008, 08:54 AM
what has to be modified to use a RA60 diff in an ae86?

can RA60 front brake calipers bolt on?

yoshimitsu9
25th March 2008, 09:09 AM
the struts and brakes bolt straight in, but gives fucked geometry. I'm in the process of researching ways to get some camber on my car because there is none at all whther it be -rca's or camber tops or both.

the diff needs ever so slight modification to fit (this is the firsst part what you do after is up to you) is reweld the upper trailing arms 15mm inwards to that that trailing arm mount lines up. the bushes become a problem now, ive heard of a few ways to over come this is drill the bolt hole in the bush bigger and use ra60 bolts or ive heard of some how sleeving the bush and using ae86 bolts

riojin
25th March 2008, 09:40 AM
could you use the RA60 brakes calipers without the RA60 struts?

Hen is a total nutcase
25th March 2008, 10:18 AM
I've typed it before and I'll say it again here. In my opinion, RA60 front end bits are farqed in an AE86. They suffer from 2 main problems:

1 - The struts give positive camber. Yes, this can be fixed, but takes a bit of rooting around.
2 - There is no reasonably short steering arm (as in none similar in length even to manual steering AE86) which will bolt to the strut.

Yes, they have good brakes and fat stub axles, but the problems above shoot it down.

Try XT130 struts, MX62 calipers and RA60 hubs and discs. I just wrote up a bit in the faq or there's a good writeup on Toymods.

Hen

egg_83
25th March 2008, 05:01 PM
You don't have to move the trailing arm mounts they still fit just persuade them.
I used ra trailing arms and made a sleeve to slide in the bush to fit the 86 bolts on the body of the car. Its easy.

hen i was thinking of putting the 60 steer arms on opposite sides to give more camber, only a idea reckon it could work?

Hen is a total nutcase
25th March 2008, 05:19 PM
May help fix the camber, but would probably screw the ackerman and maybe bump steer. The relationship of the LCA balljoint and tierod balljoint is very important for all this stuff. I wouldn't go swapping them.

Sigma arms, RA40 tie rods and RA60 struts gives approx neutral camber, so that fixes point #1. But point #2 is still a pain in the nuts. Yes you can use RA60 steering arms, but you get slower steering with less lock. Yay.

Hen

gaz20v
25th March 2008, 09:55 PM
i have seen an ae86 with ra60 struts and brakes (coilovers tho) with sigma lca's and camber tops, masses of neg camber?? even with camber tops and stock lca's it had neg?