PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gear playing up - What Gearbox Oil T50?

li21
27th March 2008, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

I recently changed my gearbox oil... I can't remember what I go.. some Castrol brand oil...
It didnt really make a difference.

6 months later my reverse is starting to give me the shits... before 1 or 2 trys and it would go in.. now it takes me atleast 5 goes to get it in, and that can be embarrassing at the mall car park when people are waiting for me to reverse in to my spot.

Anyhow, is this something I can fix with using a better gearbox oil? People who drive WRXs and MX5 seem to only recommend Redline Shockproof GB oil which is bloody expensive..
Would the T50's benefit from this at all?

Since I'm really having only a reverse issue, this might not even be lubrication issue?

DavisJD
27th March 2008, 11:52 PM
Dextron 3 Auto transmission fluid, most people like using that stuff. Including me.

Gullie
28th March 2008, 12:15 AM
i also get this on cold mornings. second just doesnt go in. same with my mates t50.
may have to go auto fluid next time the box comes out

redsprinter
28th March 2008, 10:33 AM
how about try this .. put it into first then into reverse in one action .

dustyae86
28th March 2008, 11:27 AM
go 5th then reverse, I too was once a dexron 3 user, but not anymore, have noticed yes it's good when cold but once it warms up it starts getting crunchy, this is because auto fluid is very thin but not sticky compared to a normal gearbox oil, so it doesn't stick to the gears etc properly giving proper lubrication, go get some redline thin stuff that is for boxes, it is expensive though

li21
28th March 2008, 11:30 AM
I always go first then R, first then R .. have to do it about 5 times when warm to get in reverse.. really annoying.
Redline stuff is pricey.. if i were to put it in i'd want to make sure it worked :)

biggo
28th March 2008, 01:44 PM
my opinion

Dex 3 = no
Redline = no
castrol vmx 80 = yes

ive used dex 3 for awhile once but never again, shattered 2 and 3rd be cause there was seiously underlubing everything.

redline is known to glaze syncros, and its way to exy for some oil. i just use VMX 80 and change it every 3 months

li21
28th March 2008, 08:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Mar 28 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=509215)</div>
my opinion

Dex 3 = no
Redline = no
castrol vmx 80 = yes

ive used dex 3 for awhile once but never again, shattered 2 and 3rd be cause there was seiously underlubing everything.

redline is known to glaze syncros, and its way to exy for some oil. i just use VMX 80 and change it every 3 months[/b]

Ahhh thats what I used! VMX80!
But still having the reverse issues, so it could be something else ...

Every 3 months!? Is that regular track car?
For daily road car, i'd only change every 50,000 kms or so?

biggo
28th March 2008, 10:22 PM
no i just drive hard

t50's are not know to last really long, personally i if it was my t50 id yank it out and try another.

but changing oil often cleans it out fairly well, my current t50 is so clean its been shard free for like 6 months now

Gullie
28th March 2008, 10:41 PM
somebody really needs to start producing readily available t50 rebuild kits. They would sell like hot cakes!
Yeah, when your box blows up you can go and buy another one, but that one probably wont last long either, its a 20+yo box so it doesnt surprise me. IMO i would rather have a extra fresh mint box and be done with it. AJPS, kyouteki etc hint hint

Sidey
28th March 2008, 11:03 PM
I agree - need access to t50 rebuild kits. theyre a good box but if you just gonna get another s/h box, its probably not going to last a long time due to their age.
But putting a kit through it, it basically becomes a new box that will give u another 10 or 20+ years (obviously depending what ponies u putting thru it)

biggo
29th March 2008, 12:14 AM
no, they are piss weak all round

ive even cracked the casing on my first t50 a few weeks befor it shattered. Theyre honestly weaker than a loaf of bread i can get for $2

dustyae86
29th March 2008, 10:39 AM
also you are aware reverse doesn't have a synchro ring so it is always going to be a bit harder to put into gear?

johnny_08
30th March 2008, 08:33 PM
how bout going forward then going into reverse? or just change the box i guess

Driftspec
30th March 2008, 10:21 PM
Typical Toyota gearboxes - most Toyotas, even recent Corollas, are pretty much the same when it comes to reverse - neutral, 1st than reverse, if that doesn't work, go 2nd than reverse, then 3rd than reverse. If that doesn't work, neutral again and then repeat the process. Thats my routine after the car has been sitting for over 2 hours unused.

I haven't changed my oil, but I did loose some during my last clutch change. It got refilled with Dextron 3, so it's running an interesting combo :lol:

sprintdaddy
31st March 2008, 12:01 AM
I used to work in a diff & gearbox shop we regularly used half gear oil half auto fluid, better than 100% auto fluid, also make sure your spigot bearing in the end of your crank is not fucked as that can affect the way your box shifts.

yoshimitsu9
31st March 2008, 05:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gullie @ Mar 28 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=509506)</div>
somebody really needs to start producing readily available t50 rebuild kits. They would sell like hot cakes!
Yeah, when your box blows up you can go and buy another one, but that one probably wont last long either, its a 20+yo box so it doesnt surprise me. IMO i would rather have a extra fresh mint box and be done with it. AJPS, kyouteki etc hint hint[/b]

a swap over service would be excellent complete example as i have no idea what a rebuild is worth. swap your fucked gear box +$300-$500 for a fresh brand new box then extra $$$ for straight cut or helical gears if chosen. id quite happily pay $500 for a spanking new box

also a personal question: what would be the cause of 3rd gear being a pain in the ass to get into on the down gear from 4th?

biggo
31st March 2008, 05:32 PM
the slectors have rounded/ground down

my 20v box does that, but its had a hard life :teehee:

yoshimitsu9
31st March 2008, 07:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Mar 31 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=510712)</div>
the slectors have rounded/ground down

my 20v box does that, but its had a hard life :teehee:[/b]

so whats the best way to fix it and whats the difficulty rating on a scale of 1-10? (god i sound like a noob lol)

dustyae86
1st April 2008, 08:01 AM
not fun stefan, and it will only get worse, new box time, basically have to pul a few of the gears off (with a press) to get to 3rd gear

biggo
1st April 2008, 10:06 AM
what dusty said

you MAY be able to get some sort of hobby file and spend 42390602 million hours filling it down with the gears on there, just make sure you clean it up :P

driftism
1st April 2008, 04:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Yeah, when your box blows up you can go and buy another one, but that one probably wont last long either, its a 20+yo box so it doesnt surprise me. IMO i would rather have a extra fresh mint box and be done with it. AJPS, kyouteki etc hint hint[/b]

The only problem with sourcing gearboxes is that some of the internal diameters of the gears, and some of the bearings can vary between t-50's.

i can get bearing rebuild kits, but i have pulled several apart and there have been differences between them, which makes sourcing the correct bearings for everyone difficult if the parts are going to change and different bearings are needed for each gearbox.

Sidey
1st April 2008, 06:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4AGE - 86 @ Apr 1 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=511263)</div>
The only problem with sourcing gearboxes is that some of the internal diameters of the gears, and some of the bearings can vary between t-50's.

i can get bearing rebuild kits, but i have pulled several apart and there have been differences between them, which makes sourcing the correct bearings for everyone difficult if the parts are going to change and different bearings are needed for each gearbox.[/b]

Damn, why can't T50s be T50s !
Thanks for bringing that up tho.

yoshimitsu9
2nd April 2008, 06:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ Apr 1 2008, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=511081)</div>
not fun stefan, and it will only get worse, new box time, basically have to pul a few of the gears off (with a press) to get to 3rd gear[/b]

fuck fuck fuck, i just replaced the gear box and now i have to fucken change it again not happy now :angry:

dustyae86
3rd April 2008, 07:49 AM
stop complaining, their easy as piss. complain when you have to do a 4wd gearbox

biggo
3rd April 2008, 03:44 PM
or.....w57 by your self on the garage floor