PDA

View Full Version : 4age wiring issues - conversion woes. if you don't know wiring, don't bother

slide86
29th March 2008, 08:46 PM
trying to wire up a 4age into a 71.

having so many fucking dramas, its not even funny anymore.,

what ive done so far:

-On 14 pin plug, Pin 7 (+B1) and Pin 14 (+B ) can be connected together, and go to ignition (or can come off a relay you used for coil power)
-On 14 pin plug, Pin 6 (Batt) goes to constant battery 12V source (ie wire straight from positive terminal on your battery if you want)

ive added a relay that triggers the YELLOW wire that is on the 10a fuse in the engine bay

ive put 12v onto the +ve side of the coil

wired up the fuel pump

wired relay for starter, engine cranks fine.

PROBLEMS:

there is a short to earth on the +ve side of the coil, if i put a multimeter on the +ve coil and the +ve battery, there is power. thats not correct.
i am unsure if this is causing the no spark, i think it is.,

ive pulled apart all my wiring so many times to check, i can't figure it out. i need to know why there is a short to ground in the coil (ive swaped it for a known good one, igniter also)

its a JDM RWD engine and loom and ECU

anyone thats done this conversion, help a brother out. i am good with wiring, and I'm sure everything ive done is ok.....but it just wont spark

Nikkojoe
29th March 2008, 08:58 PM
Loom earthed? Coil/igniter bolted down/earthed

All earth points checked and good?

When you say 12V to coil, you mean 12V on ignition? There should be a factory black orange wire near coil, which is what you usually connect to positive side of coil.

SLO-030
29th March 2008, 09:04 PM
That black orange wire will also be found under the dash at the ignition key.

Find it in the loom and join it to that factory one which will give you your ignition switching. Then your EFI main relay will be switched off that wire. Same with fuel pumps etc

slide86
29th March 2008, 09:10 PM
the loom is earthed on the intake manifold at the factory spot. i gather thats the only one?

went over some earths today and they all seemed ok.

i moved the coil and bolted it to another spot to confirm earth

the only black orange wire i can see looks like it was the original 4ac one to the +ve of the ballast resistor, i used that one as a trigger to activate the relay for the yellow wire. (that nust be the one you are reffering to craig)

its really shitting me now, ive spent so much time on this thing and all that needs to be done to finish the whole car is this wiring.

Nikkojoe
29th March 2008, 10:30 PM
Ok, this is how ive done it:

That black orange wire, run it to positive terminal on coil (this give power to igniter, and rest of loom).

Created an efi relay which had its trigger connected to positive terminal of coil and earthed the other terminal on relay so it would latch on ignition (pretty much what you did). This relay controlled:

-Fuel pump
-efi Wires on 14pin Plug
-Yellow BF wire

How much Volts are you getting between +ve on coil and +ve on battery? I only get 0.3V-ish.

Also change leads, I had a problem like that once...

If you have MSN, add me (details in my profile)