PDA

View Full Version : jdm brake upgrade?

eightsixboy
1st April 2008, 01:01 PM
I have the option of getting jdm brakes with calipers that have to be rebuilt or a kit from hoppers stoppers which has au3 falcon twin piston calipers and slotted disc and all brackets etc needed.

Just wondering if jdm is even worth it considering it'll cost about $500-600 to get the parts and rebuild the calipers vs about $1000 for a whole kit which is a fair bit bigger than the jdm stuff and i doubt that you'll ever get brake fade with the au3 calipers.

slide86
1st April 2008, 01:06 PM
depends on what your using the car for.

if its just a streeter, go with the jdm brakes and good pads and discs.

if your going to be doing alot of spirited driving, maybe the hopper option is the way to go....

federal
1st April 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm going to assume you are reffering to this kit...

http://www.hoppers.com.au/complete%20leafl...7/page_028.html (http://www.hoppers.com.au/complete%20leaflet%20FEB%202007/page_028.html)

here is what one had to say about the kit

"I have them on my car for about 6months now. They're ok once you get some heat into them. They don't seem to work all that well when cold maybe it the pad? The only thing I don't like is the 1" master cylinder that I got with the kit as it give you a solid pedal but absolutely no feel at all. I find it hard to judge how hard press the pedal as it feels like you either press too hard and lock up or not hard enough. I'm in the process of finding a smaller master cylinder something like a 7/8 or 15/16 to give me better brake feel. Once I get this sorted I think it will be pretty good, as the brakes itself does a good job of stopping the car. It just the lack of feel in the pedal that is annoying."

Another

"i have just fitted this kit like tom did...

the only issue i have is the caliper hits on the swaybar on full lock pushing the caliper pin in, so i can't use the brakes. also the lower control arm rubbed on the inside of the disc, massaged it slightly with special tool No. 1 and it was fine.
it went on fine other than that.

at the moment I'm using the standard sprinter master cylinder and will be upgrading to a R33 skyline or similar one as well.
like what has been said before they stop extremely well. had a close call the other night with a fuckstick changing lanes in front of me almost hitting me, and these saved me from a rather costly repair bill. the pedal atm feels like i have worn out pads, but you stomp on them hard and they pull up time and time again.

gave them a bit of abuse on my local twisties as well and didnt skip a beat. i recommend getting them drilled for your car and slotted, can't go wrong!

also they will definately fit behind 15" -0 offset wheels"

basically it depends on what you want from your vehicle...Do you want to take it racing, or is it more of a weekend hills warrior? You need to take into account what mods you have done, and what mods you plan on performing....Personally i would prefer to run a FC3S front brake kit to the hopper stopper kit...these can be sourced for near identical price, if not slightly cheaper...

eightsixboy
1st April 2008, 03:11 PM
Cool thnx for the info FEDERAL. Its a bit of a worry if it hits the swaybar, i only have the standard one atmo, maybe he had a aftermaket one?

I would go the rx7 upgrade except i would prefer to buy a whole package rather then finding the bits seperatly.

You would think though that being a brake place they would no what there doing, i've good things bout them from people and as far as one of the comments being bad pedal feel i don't see how you can have a hard pedal that you can't tell when its gonna lock or how hard to press. I have driven cars with a soft pedal that you can't tell but not the other way round.

Anyways thnx for the promt replies.

Btw the car will be a street car but partially stripped out, and plan on doing plenty of spirited hill runs and sprint events in the near future.

driftism
1st April 2008, 03:25 PM
I would recommend JDM brakes, i have them on my car (jap sprinter) i can't get them to fade with hills driving, but they do go a bit shitty after a few laps round the track.

i think that rx7 brakes would be a better option, as they look a bit more compact, and if you can now get them as a complete kit, (or nearly) that ajps has.

Roku_70
1st April 2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, you can get the complete kit from AJPS for the FC3S brake conversion...there are several others out there who sell the FC3S kit, however the AJPS kit that i built is designed to run under 14's, which is a big advantage for most...

I think you will also find that pad choices for the FC3S conversion will be more appropriately priced etc

RobertoX
1st April 2008, 05:37 PM
+1

rich_86
1st April 2008, 06:36 PM
late s13 gear??? full front setup including rotors 280mm, calipers, lcas, tie rods and adjustable height and base coilovers for round the 1000 mark but will need 15" rims mimimum...works well every day with no probs at all am thinkin of selling my jdm gear to get this in my other hachi as the other one already has it

eightsixboy
2nd April 2008, 10:49 AM
Just how much bigger are the jdm over adm? Are the discs the same size just vented?

harmsup_jai
2nd April 2008, 11:30 AM
Just how much bigger are the jdm over adm? Are the discs the same size just vented?

Yes, and the calipers are wider to account for that

choom78
3rd April 2008, 10:53 PM
same diameter, but thicker/and also ventilated. Thickness and Ventilated will last longer before experience brake fade/