PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a surge tank ?

reecegze
1st April 2008, 10:33 PM
Hey guys ive got a quick question before i go out and blow cash on a surge tank and some other goodies.. Do i really need to run one , i am running a 4agte on afm electrics with afm connected still, i have a old carby petrol tank with an vl external fuel pump , i am currently running 10psi max and abit worried with fuel anything under 1/2 tank of fuel..

Any of you guys got suggestions on what i should do? is my pump going to suck air at high rpms ?

dr1ft-pig
1st April 2008, 10:37 PM
i would recommend running a surge tank

Sidey
1st April 2008, 11:24 PM
yes you need to run one.
my thread ('index.php?showtopic=30244') regarding this topic is for a stock 4age. if i surge round a corner, the fuel pump pumps air and injectors run dry for a moment and so forth, this is not good for pump or injectors but keeping that occurrence to a minimum by keeping tank above 1/2 you can get away with, but not ideal.
i believe if u lean out bad like that when under boost thats far worse.
i.m.o i strongly urge a surge tank (1 - 1.5 litre --- someone can advise u on the volume). According to KE70Dave, a jdm tank will probably only suffice for a N/A setup.

Basically, don't mess with running fuel supply dry when running a turbo setup.

Sparkle86
2nd April 2008, 08:05 AM
When I owned your car it had an EFI tank in it. So unless some one has changed the tank all you need to do is get a low pressure in tank pump setup to feed the EFI pump. I always ment to do this but never got around to getting the parts needed. Having said this a external surge tank is advisable with your setup.

biggo
2nd April 2008, 10:22 AM
ha lol

i get my fuel light to come one with half a tank in there! maybe its my hectickness but id say get a surge tank.

JDMJNKY
2nd April 2008, 08:04 PM
meh ive got a 4agte in my street 86 just a vl pump just keep enough petrol in it easy, havent had any problems with surging when fuel is low and realy dosent effect if u don't cain it round corners

ToySprinta
2nd April 2008, 10:45 PM
Just good insurance though...

Dongaz
4th April 2008, 08:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (orangechargd86 @ Apr 2 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=512002)</div>
realy dosent effect if u don't cain it round corners[/b]

Isn't that the whole point of what we are here for :yes:

wide s13
5th April 2008, 02:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dongaz @ Apr 4 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=513304)</div>
Isn't that the whole point of what we are here for :yes:[/b]
thats true lol
my car suffers from this to and when your using 3/4 on mountain runs like me i think its prolly worthy of a surge tank so
you can have fun without leaving the mountain to go get fuel :2thumbs:

Todd
5th April 2008, 06:03 PM
jerry can anyone? haha

slydar
6th April 2008, 02:42 PM
in my experience you don't really need it. the pick up is in a pretty good place in an adm 86 tank.

stefan
6th April 2008, 03:23 PM
jdm fuel tank

has baffels no surge!@

ive not had problems

i use a bosche 910 fuel pump

win

no fuel cut