PDA

View Full Version : Engine makes screeching sound

race4ages
5th April 2008, 06:58 PM
Curious if anyone know what might cause this.

When the cylinder head cover outlet is connected to the intake manifold (vacuum) a whining sound starts up.

To counter this from occurring i installed a mini air filter for the cylinder head outlet which stopped the whining sound.

The sound only occurs when the cylinder head outlet is connected to vacuum. Interesting when the engine is turne off; the sound slows/or fades out, suggesting that the sound is a result of a moving part.

Does any know what is the cause of this.

Javal
5th April 2008, 08:33 PM
You have a small demon in your intake manifold. Whenever you connect the vaccum line to your rocker cover, that screeching is the sound of the demon trying to suck out the 4AGE's machine soul.

race4ages
6th April 2008, 12:08 PM
Ah ok, I though it could have been a 'whining bitch'......

Any advances on supernatural beings in my engine being awoken by vacuum?

86adz
6th April 2008, 12:17 PM
spun a big end

dog89
6th April 2008, 12:45 PM
do u have a pcv valve in there

race4ages
7th April 2008, 08:55 PM
I didn't think 16v's came with a PCV. I didn't put one in so, no it doesn't have a PCV.

slide86
7th April 2008, 09:37 PM
its definetly a vacumn leak....

i would think that there is a leak in the throttle body gasket or something similar.

when you disconnect the hose to the manifold, there is an easier path for the air to go into the engine, so the vacumn leak is not evident.

but when you reconnect the hose, air will try to get into the engine anyway it can....so the vacumn leak becomes evident.

what you should do is leave the hose connected, so the noise is evident, then spray wd40 around any areas that could have a vacumn leak ie throttle body gasket, inlet manifold gasket.

if the revs pickup or the noise goes away when you spray in that area, then you have found the problem :)

(the sound fading out would be an indication that the enigne is sucking in air as it stops turning)

shakes
8th April 2008, 07:03 PM
can also be the vaccuum being dragged around your TB. have had this before in other car's

DRFTR86
10th April 2008, 11:57 PM
i had the same problem, thought it was my pcv, so ripped the inlet manifold off and put quads on it, but 2nd what slide86 says, it was a vac leak on mine but i never could find it b4 i did my conversion, but i used to spray brake kleen into the pcv whilst it was making noise and would stop for a while, and reoccur when it got really hot

vf24
12th April 2008, 11:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (race4ages @ Apr 5 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=513681)</div>
Curious if anyone know what might cause this.

When the cylinder head cover outlet is connected to the intake manifold (vacuum) a whining sound starts up.

To counter this from occurring i installed a mini air filter for the cylinder head outlet which stopped the whining sound.

The sound only occurs when the cylinder head outlet is connected to vacuum. Interesting when the engine is turne off; the sound slows/or fades out, suggesting that the sound is a result of a moving part.

Does any know what is the cause of this.[/b]
You might find one of your idle up solenoids has its air lines back to front. I had this once on an air con idle up and it made the noise. Swappd it around and hey presto - silent. They were only made to work (competently) one way.

riceburner
9th May 2008, 11:12 AM
There is a bypass line built into the inlet manifold on the inside that runs to the throttle body. If your throttle body gasket doesnt have the right holes punched into it you block the bypass off and apply full manifold vacumm to the engine.

When this happens you are applying negative pressure the entire engine, hence why the noise isnt there with the hose disconnected. The noise you here is air being sucked INTO the engine either thru oil pump, oil filter location or anywhere like that.

What manifold does you have, bigport rwd, fwd converted??

Your sound isnt a moving part, the release/normalization of pressure when engine turned of is the fade out noise.

This is what happens to me and hundreds off others that went to a rwd converted fwd manifold.

Easiest thing to do (if you have a fwd>rwd manifold) is run a t piece off camcover to manifold line and attach it somewhere before the throttle body. You may need to fiddle with idle after doing this.

If you have a rwd manifold then either do the same as fwd>rwd or pull your throttle off and punch all the holes into the gasket. clean your throttle body while your there.

JoshKE
9th May 2008, 11:27 AM
I had a high pitch noise coming out of mine when I first put it in, turned out to be a small fold in the gasket on the manifold side of the throttle body, so I guess thats another vote for vacuum leak

verm69
9th May 2008, 11:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Apr 5 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=513708)</div>
You have a small demon in your intake manifold. Whenever you connect the vaccum line to your rocker cover, that screeching is the sound of the demon trying to suck out the 4AGE's machine soul.[/b]

listen to Javal. Ignore everyone else's advice, they obviously don't know ANYTHING about engine's...

It's a common problem. I solved it by using Holly water in my fuel, putting 2 garlic cloves in my air filter and sacrificing a virgin black cat on my rocker covers... short of that, try leaving the bible under your hood while driving as a temporary fix...

i'm serial

biggo
9th May 2008, 01:28 PM
i must get my car blessed before the demons torment it to death

out of curiosity how much was the virgin black cat?

verm69
9th May 2008, 03:55 PM
Black cats in general are pretty cheap, but a virgin one wasn't cheap... and i got an extra big one just in case

pretty sure it was about $230... witch is expensive for a cat

Wezelton
9th May 2008, 07:24 PM
so about 4 chickens 3 goats and a cow in the old money?