PDA

View Full Version : intake bolts

Gullie
7th April 2008, 06:23 PM
just removed my 4age fwd intake manifold, ready for the jdm rwd one to go on. Before i loosened the bolts i checked torque and they were 25ft/lb

So i swapped everything over and started tightening back up the intake bolts
got all of them to about 20ft/lb and started to feel weak and didnt want to snap the bolts. but got to the middle top bolt and tightened it to about 18ft/lb and bang it snapped. grr FUCK i yelled

Has anyone else experienced this and can you get NEW bolts from toyota?

Also how much does a easy-out contraption cost?

Cheers

Fozz
7th April 2008, 06:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gullie @ Apr 7 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=514568)</div>
just removed my 4age fwd intake manifold, ready for the jdm rwd one to go on. Before i loosened the bolts i checked torque and they were 25ft/lb

So i swapped everything over and started tightening back up the intake bolts
got all of them to about 20ft/lb and started to feel weak and didnt want to snap the bolts. but got to the middle top bolt and tightened it to about 18ft/lb and bang it snapped. grr FUCK i yelled

Has anyone else experienced this and can you get NEW bolts from toyota?

Also how much does a easy-thread contraption cost?

Cheers[/b]

take one of ur bolts down to ur local bolts and nuts shop and they sort u out

easy outs a $50 from memory

federal
7th April 2008, 06:27 PM
you can get new bolts from universal fasteners...

Gullie
7th April 2008, 06:35 PM
last time i went to universal fasteners they were useless and seemed to have no more than your local banner hardware store

Will still take it down see what they can do

If someone is parting out a 4age ill take the bolts for a few quid

Sherlock
7th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Are coventry fastners and universal fastners one in the same? If not try coventry, they helped me and some of my mates out.

rthy
7th April 2008, 06:48 PM
for something like that you need a reverse fluted drill bit so when it drills it, it comes out instead of winding in more. By memory the manifold bolts are a standard pitch M8 x 1.25. Go get yourself a standard tensile 8.8 grade or higher to replace it ok?

skin
7th April 2008, 08:00 PM
No real point in using a torque wrench for that stuff

Just do em up tight, you get the feel for em

slide86
7th April 2008, 08:11 PM
yeha i also agree.

just do em up tight with a ratchet. you wont have any dramas. but atleast your doing it properly. i do most stuff up with me air ratchet these days (non crucial nuts and bolts that is)

Gullie
7th April 2008, 10:50 PM
Hmm yeah lesson learnt. 19 year old bolts though, gotta expect it. They all felt pretty piss weak. will probably buy a whole new set.

Gotta work out how to use this easy out thingo! :S

Gullie
7th April 2008, 11:00 PM
also, can i still use the new gaskets? because I'm going to have to take the manifold off again does it make them bin-worthy? ill be pissed off if i have to order more

rthy
7th April 2008, 11:25 PM
nah it will be fine, it wouldn't of settled yet

Gullie
8th April 2008, 08:13 PM
all sorted. after i took the tvis off it had about 5mm poking out and got to it with some vice gips. got some bolts from jew steal it and put it all back together and tightenend them like a little girl would.

Thanks for the answers
and sorry for the noobiness!!!
-Jase

:)