PDA

View Full Version : LSD Info

4A-GE Power
13th April 2008, 12:35 PM
Just a query on which brand is value for money Kaaz, Cusco or TRD 2-way LSD's. I'm building up my T-Series for my 86, (street use only, no drift, maybe some track), and I'm at the stage where i need the LSD but I'm unsure of which brand to go for. From what I've seen Kaaz LSD's are usually cheaper by a couple of hundred dollars at best, but are they any good e.g lifespan etc.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel

federal
13th April 2008, 12:48 PM
cusco

rallystanza
13th April 2008, 01:12 PM
I had a KAAZ 2 way in my T series. Awesome diff. Never noisy if run in properly. I made sure of it.
I have just bought another one for my latest T series.

I have a new Tomei one going into my F series diff, obviously havent used it yet but by all accounts they are also very good.

If your not going to be doing any drift i recommend and of those diffs but you will only need a 1 or 1.5 way LSD.

Cusco's have the RS and the MZ, both work in different ways but one is more aggresive on initial torque and the other not so.

I have heard and read that TRD's are the better for non drifting events.

As for Longevity, I kept the oil changes very regulalrly on my KAAZ and had it for about 5000k's and it never missed a beat.

4A-GE Power
13th April 2008, 02:01 PM
Cool i might get a Kaaz then. By the sounds of it they are not bad

dustyae86
13th April 2008, 06:33 PM
I have a funny feeling you can't get the kaaz in a 1.5 way for sprinters hence the reason I went for cusco, not in car yet though so not too sure about how good it is

Intense
14th April 2008, 03:12 AM
Just put a trd 2 way in my car today and I'm pretty impressed with it. Very smooth to drive and doesn't make any clunking noises or anything wierd like my mates diffs. But locks up the wheels real well too. Going drifting on saturday so I'll give a follow up then

DavisJD
14th April 2008, 04:23 AM
I run a Kaaz 2 way, for street and track (not drift). And I haven't had a single problem with mine. Nore do I have a complaint about its performance.

Haven't pushed a car hard with a decent 1 or 1.5 way though, so I couldn't tell you if there going to be a better option than your 2 way.

RobertoX
14th April 2008, 11:47 AM
Cusco LSDs for the obvious win

90% of all D1 GP (street legal aswell) use Cusco LSD and none of them are sponsored by the factory. Dealers may sponsor some of the cars tho

You can change/adjust cuscos between 1.5 and 2 way and 1 and 2 way etc

MZ is a harsher cheaper diff,

strength is the same, final locking in the same but the progressiveness to get there is not - good for drift

the RS is the same as MZ but it has springs, which make the diff a lot smoother, reduce clunking and chattering (even in 2 way)

it was explained to me as

MZ is like a 50 cent piece an RS is like a 20 cent piece (jap translation)

they are all made in house and in japan obviously

TRD ones are make by Hitachi industries same factroy that makes - ralliart, sti, nismo etc

they are a 'shitter diff' but usually drive ok. They wear out faster, but because they have less clutch plates in them but they are more like an LSD and less like a locker (tomei very very tight) which some people like

if you want more info on the cuscos or pricing pm me

ae71neo
14th April 2008, 04:14 PM
I run KAAZ. No problems, does what its supposed to do, and cost me something like $960 delivered!

wideslider
14th April 2008, 04:21 PM
I have a KAAZ 2 way, Really quite for a 2 way but in the wet

it doesn't hook up as hard as I would like but I guess thats what you

get with a streetable 2 way

4A-GE Power
14th April 2008, 07:17 PM
Cheers all for the feedback. It seems like they are mostly the same when they are used for the street so i'll have a dig around and see what sort of prices i can get for either of the three brands in a 2 way.

RobertoX
14th April 2008, 10:09 PM
make sure you pm me

also rebuild kits are easily available should you ever need to for the cusco ones

johnny_08
14th April 2008, 10:15 PM
i have a 2 way trd, pretty lound when turning slowly round a corner (clunking) but it seems to be dieing down now for some reason. does the job

patience
14th April 2008, 10:49 PM
I have heard the Cusco ones are the win.
When I decide to rebuild my diff it will be a cusco 1.5way RS