PDA

View Full Version : ae86 radiators

drft86
14th April 2008, 03:05 PM
Just wondering what sort of radiators people are using.
looking for something much better then stock. anything decent off other cars that fit nicely or good aftermarked brands and suppliers?
just trying to get some feedback and info.

Cheers

jason

Nikkojoe
14th April 2008, 03:21 PM
I'm still using a stock adm radiator with my gze. I found that it works well, keeps it at its proper temp all the time even at the track.

Mind you, it is a brand new aftermarket type with an aluminium core (super light) running a calibre thermo fan

samuel
14th April 2008, 03:54 PM
MOVED TO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS FORUM!

VTAZ!
14th April 2008, 04:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Apr 14 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=517705)</div>
I'm still using a stock adm radiator with my gze. I found that it works well, keeps it at its proper temp all the time even at the track.

Mind you, it is a brand new aftermarket type with an aluminium core (super light) running a calibre thermo fan[/b]

I don't understand? Is it a aftermarket one but the same size as a standard one?

Nikkojoe
14th April 2008, 04:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A_F @ Apr 14 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=517725)</div>
I don't understand? Is it a aftermarket one but the same size as a standard one?[/b]

Its just a non genuine standard item......

It even has auto trans lines too lol

Just look in my build thread, a picture of it there

redsprinter
14th April 2008, 06:21 PM
hyundai excel twin core for me . with thermos . nice and easy fit .

v-tec
14th April 2008, 06:52 PM
Same as mine in my 86^^^

Those St185 or whatever it was in steriods car looks like a good option

denialmark
14th April 2008, 11:03 PM
st 185 rad with its thermo fans. twin core and as wide as the gap of the head lights.
you use a ae101 from memory top radiator hose,cut in half then fit pipe bout 20cms long to join.
the hardest bit is cutting off youre lower mounts and welding on two of the celica ones. ( for some reason one of the lower mounts on the celica is welded on and other is bolted on,grab 2 bolted ones ) ive only placed it where it should be and clamped it down with the original top locater mounts. it works,just, but I'm ruff so maybe a cable tie or 2 would be good.
i herd but unproven by my eyes early 90's camry radiators could work and if ya grab the rite one itl have a thermo switch in it for the fans and the water pipes may be in the same place as the 86.

sdm86
14th April 2008, 11:52 PM
s13 radiator keeps my 4age under a 1/3 on the temp gauge even when in traffic on warm days 30° and above.

JinxD
14th April 2008, 11:53 PM
vl radiator is also a good option or so iv herd maybe you can addapt the r31 thurmo setup aswell if needed

sdm86
14th April 2008, 11:54 PM
s13 = ca18de ****

Hen is a total nutcase
15th April 2008, 02:38 PM
ST162 radiator fits a treat.

The driver's side bottom mount fits the stock sprinter mount (if you use the Celica rubber). The passenger side needs a bolted lower mount (from AE82 or ST162 or something similar) to be added. I managed to set it up so that I could still refit the original radiator if required too.

Lower hose fits easy. Top hose needs some messing around.

Works well with the stock ST162 thermos.

Hen

drft86
15th April 2008, 05:29 PM
i don't have alot of room, was more interest in a 50mm core alloy radiator etc. that is direct replacement, same outlet locations, but seems not real popular

Delazy
15th April 2008, 09:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drft86 @ Apr 15 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=518306)</div>
i don't have alot of room, was more interest in a 50mm core alloy radiator etc. that is direct replacement, same outlet locations, but seems not real popular[/b]

twin core copper koyo....cheap and works wonders

LIL BLU MAN
15th April 2008, 10:15 PM
twin thermo excel ones work well from what sam was telling me, he made a how to install thread of it

Chrisso
16th April 2008, 01:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NFI @ Apr 14 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=518042)</div>
st 185 rad with its thermo fans. twin core and as wide as the gap of the head lights.
you use a ae101 from memory top radiator hose,cut in half then fit pipe bout 20cms long to join.
the hardest bit is cutting off youre lower mounts and welding on two of the celica ones. ( for some reason one of the lower mounts on the celica is welded on and other is bolted on,grab 2 bolted ones ) ive only placed it where it should be and clamped it down with the original top locater mounts. it works,just, but I'm ruff so maybe a cable tie or 2 would be good.
i herd but unproven by my eyes early 90's camry radiators could work and if ya grab the rite one itl have a thermo switch in it for the fans and the water pipes may be in the same place as the 86.[/b]

This seems very similar to the camry radiator I'm running in mine. Search for a post by parrot. Easy to do assuming you can weld, or know someone who can. If you can't find an st185 (could be difficult), you can use mounts from an ae82 or st162, both bolted on the drivers side. I can't remember which, but one is narrower than the other, so a little bit of cutting before you weld it in and you won't even have to remove your original mounts.

Chris

PuGZoR
16th April 2008, 03:19 PM
Camry radiator is off a SV21 isn't it? Pretty sure it's a similar model to that...

I'm running a chunky-arse Koyo twin core alloy radiator... stock AE86 radiator height and length, but is like 56mm thick! I think it has more capacity than my intercooler!

parrot
16th April 2008, 04:14 PM
voila (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=8011&hl=twin+core)

If room is an issue and you are happy to do a bit of fabrication, the excel radiator is pretty neat from one I have seen in an AE86

Paw-DK
17th April 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm using some celica radiator with a custo, fan thinks its bigger than the standard 86 radiators
dunno which celica model it off though haha

4DRIFT
18th April 2008, 10:40 PM
:blink: Just fitted my new radiator this arvo.......

Details as follows:

KOYO 53mm Polish alloy radiator Part #R0747. On e-bay.com, direct fit, 3x thicker than stock, about $460aus delivered.
Without a doubt, one of the best alloy items I seen yet!

:2thumbs: Steve