PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Japan?

AE86 Spoontah
6th May 2009, 10:44 PM
Looking at going on a holiday to Japan for 10 days in January so I can see the Tokyo Auto Salon but am unsure about where to stay while over there. Only want to be about 2 hours away from where it's held but still close to Tokyo city. Looking at paying around $180 a night.

Also how much would an interpreter be?

Any input appreciated guys :P

drift kid
6th May 2009, 10:53 PM
aww, lucky you, im currently learning japanese and might possibly be going there this year with school. hope u have a great time.

Zach
7th May 2009, 11:51 AM
japan is dope i went a few years ago!

sun_moon
8th May 2009, 02:45 PM
i have been, it is very good.

just remember tho, japan isnt how everyone expects it to turn out.
chances are you wont get a jap girl (and if you do her family wont like you), you wont see hot cars left right and center, and you will be treated like an outsider.

koreans and chinese do not have very good rights in japan. let alone viets or aussies etc

even a japanese who has left japan for a long period of time (like a year) oftenly will be looked down apon and people expect they can not speak japanese anymore. as far as language goes, japanese will be highly impressed if you can say 3 words in nihongo, because japanese people feel only japanese are able to speak nihongo, so are amazed if a non japanese can say 3 or so words.

everyone will go ahead and tell me how wrong i am and how japan loves forigners etc, but a true japanese will not.

driftke70
8th May 2009, 04:47 PM
i downloaded a game for my nintendo ds and have been learning japanese every night for a while now, have a friend over from japan who i hang out with at the moment and he is going to take me under his wing over there for a few months next year sometime,

will have to save up cause i want to have a shitter keto or hachi over there for at least 2 months.

the jap dollar is going to get pretty bad in the comming months i rekon, be interesting to see how it effects stuff.

but to answer op question, no idea matey, when i go im going to just wing it.

sun_moon
8th May 2009, 06:38 PM
if your not a citizen of japan, you are a dog there. you also have the exact same rights as a dog.

all torque
8th May 2009, 06:41 PM
^Bullshit. Really? I think you must be exaggerating.

sun_moon
8th May 2009, 10:28 PM
the reason japan as a country is doing well (on the whole) is that they control there economy very well unlike australia.

immigration and employment is very hard for forigners, as is owning property and posessions. in australia its so easy, citizenships are even handed to sudanese etc black muslims, even centerlink payments for them... then as a majority of them, its not enough and they go stab people and steal skylines etc. its things like this that is destroying our country.

japan will survive a long time as a pure country.... japan has done very well, and will do very well.

biGtai
8th May 2009, 10:53 PM
"Tony Kim" you're a racist, under informed fuck.. There's far deeper issues at play.
Cbf arguing any of those ridiculous things.
OP you'll have a crazy time over there. I went, never learnt Jap, stepped of the plan by myself, had an absolute blast.
Btw Japan, as are many other countries, are party to various international Human Rights treaties etc, so you will be treated well AND have greater legal rights than a dog. So, OP never fear, it should be a great trip.

sun_moon
8th May 2009, 11:35 PM
sure its good for a holiday, but try living there and see how it pans out.

patience
9th May 2009, 02:19 AM
I have been to Japan twice in the last 14 months
For about 3 months total
Been to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Nara, nagano, Tokyo, Niseko etc etc
Want any specific info just ask me, like where to go sightseeing, accomodation in certain cities etc. Ski specific I am better again with.
I really need to get around to doing a detailed write up one day.

Last time I stayed in the big city (tokyo) I was at Tokyo International Youth Hostel. Decent, 3000ish yen a night but if you are young and like staying out they have an 11.30pm curfew which is usual for Japanese hostels. Extremely good location for public transport.

Try J-Hoppers Tokyo. I heard alot of good things from some other international tourists we were partying with.

Ideally you want something thats close or on the main JR loop line that has all the major centres as stops on it (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ebisu, harajuku etc)

As far as sun_moons comments goes, he is Korean, japanese and koreans have a poor history together and I have read some funny comments from him regarding Japanese anyway. I have about 10 close Japanese friends and my girlfriend is Japanese, I've only ever had good things to say about my experiences there.

As long as you are polite, courteous, enthusiastic, respectful and genuine person you will get very, very far in Japan just with your smile (being a foreigner, x 100 if you are a tall white foreigner).
I can't remember how many times I was amazed at how far Japanese people go out of their way to help a foreigner (mainly as it may be the only chance they will get to interact with one in their life - wait til you go over and you will understand).
It's true you are excluded in some aspects to a certain point, but this allows you to view japanese life from outside the bubble and makes for a more interesting experience. It also comes with privileges like getting away with shit no-one else would dare, and you get alot of attention (both good and sometimes a little bad, but I'll keep those stories to myself haha).

patience
9th May 2009, 02:34 AM
This was in Kyoto at Kiyomizu-dera, the most famous landmark in the city perhaps.
We went on a school day and there were heaps of Junior high-school students in groups on excursions. Over the next 2 hours we must have taken photos with about 100 different kids and mucking around in broken English, was hilarious, but the attention wears on you after a while. All because you are a (tall white) foreigner, like a celebrity. We found it funny as there was Kyotos most famous temple behind us and they were more interested in getting their photo taken with us (not pulling our own horn its just the way it was).

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/5/9/13607.jpg

we actually made a run for it after we made our way to the bottom, there was a group of slightly older and naughtier schoolgirls who were eyeing us off and blowing us kisses after we had our photo taken with them, then asked what we were doing that afternoon. Bit much

ae86hachiroku
9th May 2009, 11:45 AM
Japan is awesome. Grab one of those Japan-English dictionaries with phrases and you'll do alright. Add in exaggerated hand motions and sign language and eventually they'll understand.

I had it hard, they thought I looked Japanese so whenever I talked to them I just looked like a retard, until they figured out I was a real gaijin.

If you're heading to Tokyo I think quite a few speak english anyway, go nuts!

sun_moon
9th May 2009, 12:31 PM
try and stay somewhere close to yamanote line as its a big loop of all tokyo.

shibuya ichimarukyu 109 bldg is good for expensive shopping. as is a new area roppongi hills. roppongi is famous for a lot of westerners to go.

seoul or beijing are very interesting places too.

trueno85
9th May 2009, 01:17 PM
theres a mad sale on from jet star this weekend to flights to J.

429 for 2 people! but the return back is like 400 each still damn cheap

sun_moon
9th May 2009, 01:30 PM
lol i noticed all these new slangs for japan like "j" and "jland"

anyways, when i was over in japan i found reading my ability to read chinese (long story but parents moved to china from korea) to be very helpful... although some things are kind of funny.

chinese saying 小心 (xiao xin) meaning danger/be careful.... if japanese were to read that it would literly mean little heart !! lol.

some japanese when read in chinese will look funny also.

i found a few signs to be funny, like "open mouth" and some other things when i read them litterly in chinese.

all in all, it helps massively to be able to read chinese when you visit japan.

bigm
9th May 2009, 01:46 PM
im heading to Japan on june 17th.
paid 440 return for my flight :)

anyways im heading over as to train with Koji Murofushi, staying in Aichi at Chukyo University.
im there for 5 days and then heading to Hiroshima for another 6.

so if anyone can recomend what to go and see while im there. also if there is any car places to see (shops, tracks). I hope so go and see the Toyota Muesum while im there.

Ill have a Japanese person (english speaking) with me so the communication shouldnt be a problem.

cheers
Matt

Danzo
10th May 2009, 10:50 PM
im going towards the end of the year for 3 or 4 weeks.. looking for a few heads to go with. If any ones keen let me know.

sotiros86
10th May 2009, 11:05 PM
I was there at the end of january. Had an awesome time. The people are so amazingly friendly.

I didnt find the language barrier too bad, just make sure that you know a few basic phrases. Also, try and get maps that have both Japanese and English on them, it makes it much easier when you require directions to a specific place.

AJPS
11th May 2009, 12:22 AM
we actually made a run for it after we made our way to the bottom, there was a group of slightly older and naughtier schoolgirls who were eyeing us off and blowing us kisses after we had our photo taken with them, then asked what we were doing that afternoon. Bit much

sif you didnt smash them?

patience
11th May 2009, 05:25 PM
We weren't too keen on visiting their jails

If our good friend pedobear was with us. maybe.

but he went home earlier in the week

Danzo
11th May 2009, 06:25 PM
its been confirmed, im heading over there in november for three weeks for the drift matsuri and some sight seeing.
Pretty damn hyped already.

racsov
11th May 2009, 10:00 PM
lucky bastard.....

Matt-AE86
12th May 2009, 01:27 PM
I go there in my dreams..

kaibeecee
12th May 2009, 04:46 PM
Japan is a rather misunderstood place, theres alot of hearsay of this and that on the internet.

gaijin are not frowned upon anywhere, just their ignorance in some situations. they are most used to americans, which are a bit out there. it can catch some of the people a bit off guard at first. if you are somewhat adaptive and are courteous to learn and show them a bit of simple japanese, they will be the most polite people you'll meet in your life.

i've met some of the coolest people i'll call friends for life, thats for sure.

theres so much more to japan than just car shit, but it has its perks thats for sure...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/6/13802.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/6/13803.jpg
i mean where else on earth can you have friends and your yakuniku BBQ go all night while street drifting?

patience
15th May 2009, 02:59 AM
marry me so I can go back to Never-everland

kaibeecee
15th May 2009, 11:53 AM
but what about the schoolgirls?

http://lospierros.wordpress.com/files/2009/05/sunny_kobe.jpg
its getting to the best time to be in japan....

patience
15th May 2009, 02:01 PM
No need for schoolgirls :D

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/5/9/14060.jpg

The weather looks like it's getting awesome, really want to head over in spring.
How do you normally handle summers? I heard they are a bitch in Kansai

patience
15th May 2009, 02:01 PM
ps is that a photo from your apartment?

70XIN
15th May 2009, 02:20 PM
nice hair patience, looks the same as the the ladies' :cool:

and i would like to go to j-land, for skiing or cars, either are cool. actually my parents leave in 2 weeks to go all around japan looking at .. birds?? the bastards weren't nice enough to invite me along, and i don't think they'd know what to look for in up-garage ;)

patience
15th May 2009, 03:19 PM
Haha biatch

I'm going back over on 7th of january for 5 weeks, 3 weeks snowboarding, 1 in tokyo, 1 in kansai. want to share jetstar ticket speshal?

Still haven't found an upgarage
Found carland86 though in Kyoto ;)

kaibeecee
16th May 2009, 01:54 AM
it was just a photo from the Rokko island monorail in Kobe. super nice day.

Theres an upgarage near Kyoto, on route 1 in Yawatasuihaku. just up the road is an Autobacs 2nd hand store. has some cool stuff, but expensive. Bit like upgarage really.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/3533816570_b85277d7c9_o.jpg

TRA-kyoto (http://www.tra-kyoto.com) is also in the Tai/Kuse area if you're a silvia buff

todd
16th May 2009, 03:24 AM
I got too carried away with the opening scene that i forgot about the silvias

Shahzan
16th May 2009, 03:58 PM
but what about the schoolgirls?

http://lospierros.wordpress.com/files/2009/05/sunny_kobe.jpg
its getting to the best time to be in japan....

Schoolgirls are easy to flirt with lol... tested... and now she is my ex.. :hehe:

banzai_pots
16th May 2009, 04:59 PM
used to go every year, round new years to see the family/get money :P. snowboarding and skiings cheap, i think i got half day pass and boad/boots/binding hire for 5000ish yen last time i was there. mite try and go again this year

quadeyquade
17th May 2009, 12:07 PM
pics of the school girls

corey70
17th May 2009, 04:34 PM
i wanna go to japan soon either late this year or next year sometime... just needa saveabit lol

shakes
3rd June 2009, 07:33 PM
ok, to save making a new thread word me up. best time of year to go, and all the touristy place's that are must see's. heading over for 3-4 weeks sept-oct (all undecided yet) any websites I can find location's of drift/track meet's, Punk/metal nightspots etc etc.

tell me all you know.

Danzo
3rd June 2009, 07:43 PM
I know iron chef on nissansilvia.com is organising a tour around the time your going.. might be worth looking into.

86TRD
4th June 2009, 12:20 AM
i wanna go , my girlfriend has been and is going again in 3 weeks , she has a host family so doesnt even have to pay for somewhere to stay.

PeakingDuck
4th June 2009, 01:50 AM
Is it just me? Or can you guys notice the contradictions in the comments made by Sun_Moon one after the other? No offence dude, but you sound rather silly.

PeakingDuck
4th June 2009, 01:57 AM
if your not a citizen of japan, you are a dog there. you also have the exact same rights as a dog.

sure its good for a holiday, but try living there and see how it pans out.

:unseen:

Dazzla86
4th June 2009, 10:23 AM
:yeah:
yep me an a mate are goin to the autosalon in january too, already paid but never been before. should meet up over there, safety in numbers....

sun_moon
4th June 2009, 04:50 PM
:unseen:

exactly... only good for a holiday.

westerners have no rights there and even other people from east asia (chinese and koreans) are the same.

i reccomend u go for a holiday, but i dont reccomend u living there.

by the way, im not going to argue with people who know fuck all about east asian history... even people who have learned east asian history from a western point of view, its not the same.

i dont want to argue with people who have not traveled around japan china korea etc. and dont know the TRUE politics involved between these 3 countries.

so i decided to give up and just let it be.

kaibeecee
9th June 2009, 09:38 PM
dude... you're trying to lay the same shit about westerners as the chinese and korea? it's a well documented fact that the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans have NOT gotten along for the last multitude of years.

theres a dozen or so australians living in JPN that would prove your theory wrong about living there.

RobertoX
9th June 2009, 11:21 PM
I was in Japan last week and it was awesome! People there are really friendly and the service was awesome in shops, restraunts etc.
I'd never been before and found it really easy to get around on trains and busses.
Also I was there on work and didn't recieve any discrimination ;)

I will be going back in a few weeks to live and am not at all worried about it, I've spoken to a lot of Aussies who have lived and worked over there and they love it.

Non Japanese can't own a house and some other stuff like that, but that's about it.
There is also the language barrier so if you are trying to talk about something complicated often you can't get it accross. Usually though, if you speak a bit of Japanese and make an effort they will try really hard to meet you half way.
I have heard that Koreans particularly are discriminated against but I would rather be a Korean in Japan than an Aboriginal in Australia (in terms of general quality of life etc).

H8CHIR6KU
10th June 2009, 03:05 AM
all my jap friends insist on me going over there to work.

when i was holidaying in tokyo with my malaysian gf at the time, everyone would speak to her in japanese only for her to look at me and wait for my translation. man that really tripped them out.

sure it is hard at some stages but this all stems from a rich history of a proud people that have resisted other cultures pressuring a change of life style. to me this is what makes their culture and lifestyle so appealing.

go to vietnam and see how you get treated there. visiting my friends house and the cops told me to leave. all because the people there didnt want whitey in there street. this was in hue btw. we didnt really argue it because they had ak47's. not only that but they charge more if your white, even the government charges you more if your white