PDA

View Full Version : Buying a camera; advice.

keto
10th May 2009, 06:43 PM
hey all,

i'm looking at buying myself a new camera, sick of my lil cheap digital one and looking for a nice digital SLR. Straight up i'm newish to a lot of these canon and nikons and am having a hard time working out really whats the best one. my budget is around $1100 (or more pending on how long i wait)
really i'm looking for something that is of a high quality and as hard as it is, wont be old technology in a few months. something 10megapixel + maybe.

has anyone got any thoughts on the canon eos1000D? or nikon D60? seen them round at a reasonable price, just wondering if they are a good cam, or kinda match there cheaper in the market, being a cheaper quality.

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated from anyoen with experience.

cheers, nick.

45KIDS
10th May 2009, 07:26 PM
Im half way through a deploma in photo-imaging and I use a 400d cause im a poor cunt lol. Don't go any lower then that! its a good camera and if you go through the photo threds you will see some of my work. I focus more on film then digital but if you just beginning I say 400d. Easy to learn on and fairly cheap these days. that said I've had mine for 2 years and really want to upgrade but that's mainly because of my course outline and sick of borrowing tafe cameras :P

But I say no to 1000d... it is the step between consumer and prosumer camera and isn't that great!

Even a 350d would be sick. There's some on ebay withnice lens deal's etc.

Clinton
10th May 2009, 08:07 PM
canon T60 brrrroo!

keto
10th May 2009, 08:25 PM
Im half way through a deploma in photo-imaging and I use a 400d cause im a poor cunt lol. Don't go any lower then that! its a good camera and if you go through the photo threds you will see some of my work. I focus more on film then digital but if you just beginning I say 400d. Easy to learn on and fairly cheap these days. that said I've had mine for 2 years and really want to upgrade but that's mainly because of my course outline and sick of borrowing tafe cameras :P

But I say no to 1000d... it is the step between consumer and prosumer camera and isn't that great!

Even a 350d would be sick. There's some on ebay withnice lens deal's etc.

i know i'm just beginning but i dont want something heaps simple, i feel i might will run out of things to use after a while, get bored or be limited, i pick up on things pretty quickly once i start using it.

had a look over some of your shots 45KIDS. look good, so that was just with a 400D and a lense?

EDIT: thoughts on the 450D?

45KIDS
10th May 2009, 09:09 PM
yeah just standard lense and 400D. ive got some shots in slam and skate magazine so shows what you can do with them. 400D and 450D are fairly similar i reckon. same with the 350D. if you want to just go out and have fun without burning a hole in your pocket i would aim for 350/400/450D (im a canon man so havent used nikon to much). just depends with your budget. with the 350-450D you can just buy some lenses,flashes etc and you will have fun with it for years! think most other people can agree with me but im also very poor lol so cant get all the flash gear that some photographers have :(.

i get by with my 400D twin lense kit, tokino 10-17mm fisheye, 2x vivitar 285v flashes and some ebay triggers :P

hit up hao on here. he would have a fair bit of knowledge on camera's!

Clinton
10th May 2009, 09:13 PM
canon T60 is pretty sweet.

45KIDS
10th May 2009, 09:17 PM
canon T60 is pretty sweet.

t70 goes alright aswell :)

Clinton
10th May 2009, 09:23 PM
nah
just T60

T70 is just too gay.

sorry i was the one that had to tell you.

Sherlock
10th May 2009, 11:48 PM
Oi, you do realise I work in the camera section at Harvey Norman...come and see me you douche. I'll help you out. Price wise too ;)

keto
11th May 2009, 07:10 PM
Oi, you do realise I work in the camera section at Harvey Norman...come and see me you douche. I'll help you out. Price wise too ;)

oh so now you tell me! which one one son?

Sherlock
11th May 2009, 09:08 PM
Woodville bruv

OMG866
11th May 2009, 10:24 PM
Just make sure it takes pictures :)

Clinton
12th May 2009, 12:12 AM
CANON T60!

nuff said brrrrrrro

todd
12th May 2009, 02:14 AM
he said digital.

so why not recommend a digital?

Clinton
12th May 2009, 05:57 PM
churr todd. canon T60 is digital. idiot.

todd
12th May 2009, 08:28 PM
HEAD FARRRTTTTT WOOOOO

in regards to the OP's question, wait a little longer if possible to save a few more clams cos those entry level slr's you are talking about (eos1000 and d60) are really not worth the money imo.

or do as clinton suggested, get yourself a t60 (or second hand nikon/canon of good mid range quality) and use the spare cash to get nice lenses. remember, essentially the only role the camera body has is as a lightbox and (in digital only obviously) a sensor which in most quality brands ie nikon,canon all have relatively good sensors.
the lens is the thing that forms the image.

hope that helps

letsgohunting
13th May 2009, 12:34 PM
hey all,

i'm looking at buying myself a new camera, sick of my lil cheap digital one and looking for a nice digital SLR. Straight up i'm newish to a lot of these canon and nikons and am having a hard time working out really whats the best one. my budget is around $1100 (or more pending on how long i wait)
really i'm looking for something that is of a high quality and as hard as it is, wont be old technology in a few months. something 10megapixel + maybe.

has anyone got any thoughts on the canon eos1000D? or nikon D60? seen them round at a reasonable price, just wondering if they are a good cam, or kinda match there cheaper in the market, being a cheaper quality.

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated from anyoen with experience.

cheers, nick.

Brilliant photos have been shot on Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus etc entry DSLRs a million times before and will be shot a million times again.

Pretty much any of the entry DSLRs are very good for the money. The nikon and canon are very similar, but if I was to choose out of those two i'd be taking the canon - it uses very similar sensors to the rest of it's range of cameras like the 50d/1d/5d. Same tech basically. The nikon d60 uses a slightly outdated CCD sensor. The d5000 is the new d60 BTW and should be quite good.

If I was to choose out of all the cameras though I'd choose either the Pentax K-M or the Olympus e-620. Reasons being the sensor based "shake reduction" on the pentax and the "Image stabilisation" on the olympus, which do the same thing. It's like having a canon IS lens or nikon VR lens on every lens that you have. Secondly, the lenses - Pentax make gorgeous little prime lenses called DA* limiteds which are made of metal, are tiny, fast and have brilliant optical quality. Olympus are the best optic manufacturer out of all the DSLR companies and their lenses are second to none. The kit lenses on all the bottom Olympus DSLRs are actually better quality than many of my Canon L lenses - which are all $1000 plus each.

Canon and Nikon are a bit ehhhh until you get to the 1d/5d and d3/d700 lines, which pentax and olympus don't compete with.

Gusto
29th May 2009, 11:45 AM
The Pentax K7 was announced around a week ago, and should be released in Aust in around July for perhaps 1.6k. ~15MP, weatherproof, auto-hdr and 720p. The video has higher quality compression than the canon 5D2. I'm thinking of getting one.

If it's too much, it'll most likely lower the price of the K20D and K10D, also good cameras.

Best advice is to go to a store, check out the cameras in your price range, and whichever one feels best in your hands.

ae86
31st May 2009, 01:56 PM
been looking for info on this t60 ? cant find much about it, no prices online either

letsgohunting
31st May 2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t60/index.htm

it's an fd mount analog film camera made from recycled milk bottles.

skizzamods
5th July 2009, 10:46 PM
buy my d40 body!

ae71
25th October 2009, 03:16 PM
anyone got a used one that they are looking to upgrade?

after a cheaper one for my holiday.. dont want a point and shoot, i may as well sketch shit haha.

skizzamods
25th October 2009, 08:16 PM
anyone got a used one that they are looking to upgrade?

after a cheaper one for my holiday.. dont want a point and shoot, i may as well sketch shit haha.

buy mine!

well it should still be for sale.. some bloke may be interested..

d40x but body only.. new lens bout $300 maybe??

ae71
25th October 2009, 09:37 PM
PM sent

Victim
4th November 2009, 01:09 AM
Back to your main issue though mate, the problem you'll find is that when you ask, rightly so because it's hard to determine through all the hype, exactly what brand is better (Canon V Nikon), you'll always get fanboys of a brand toting theirs as a symbol of the best brand you can get (no offence intended to anyone flying a particular flag).

Me personally, i'm a Nikon man. I've got a D70, which is relatively old now and could no way compete with the new ones that are coming out, but it's great and has served me well. Takes a great picture and i've used both Canon's and Nikons and i personally dig how Nikon's are set up over Canon's, but that's a personal preference as i'm sure most people's opinions of brands are. That debate's really up to you.

But the bottom line is mate, that it's not your rig that determines a great photo, it's the photographer! If you like a camera that maybe isn't "the best", buy that. Because at the end of the day, if you can't work a more expensive camera as well as a lesser one, it'll show in the photos and all the features you paid for won't mean jack.

shakes
10th November 2009, 08:00 AM
Victim comes through with the best advice ever. You'll find that at particular price points its unlikely one camera has it in a big way over it's rival. It comes down to what you like the look of, and the controls feel most comfortable for you from the get go. Canon V Nikon debate isnt much different to Holden V ford.

Look around though, you might find one brand does a lens more suited to what your aiming at getting out of the camera.

My other bit of advice is dont buy a cheap twin lens kit when you get the camera, buy the body and a good lens, a 50mm prime lens is very cheap and will help you learn apertures and choosing your shot. and a second battery!

Otherwise just have fun.

ae71
10th November 2009, 10:42 AM
i brought that fellas d40x... a older bit of gear now but im sure it will be more then enough camera for what i want to do.

Victim
13th November 2009, 10:57 AM
Haha, cheers shakes.

Canon V Nikon debate isnt much different to Holden V ford.

Blood oath, the whole issue summed up perfectly.

Neither of them are bad, so you can't really go wrong & make a poor choice. It's just what you dig.

petermartin
4th December 2009, 08:13 PM
Hello.
That's indeed a good post. All camera have many features like very clear and natural result. easy to use and functionality.Specially I will recommend you about this digital camera canon . It pretty small and takes good photos.
Thanks.

todd
4th December 2009, 09:34 PM
lolwut

ae71
6th December 2009, 10:09 PM
anyone have a 18-55mmish nikon lens they want to off load?

my current lens is shithouse in the city no where near wide enough angle

todd
6th December 2009, 10:35 PM
yeah i have one here. 18-55.

not sure if its too worthy of you though, its seen better days, im wanting to upgrade and was gonig to keep it as a spare, but if someone wants it, then i can do dealz.

is a stocko.
can get specs if u like?

ae71
7th December 2009, 12:04 AM
id love a standard one. with AF-S would be awesome....

yeah specs and more info on condition would be tops, shoot me a PM i you like.

todd
7th December 2009, 01:44 AM
on second inspection, its a standard nikon DX af-s 18-70mm 4.5
have also just remembered that the zoom is stuck between 24 + 40 which (from what i have read) is a common problem with these lenses, and can be repaired but will probably not be worth it.
so i would feel silly selling someone something dodgy.
sorry man.

ae86
7th December 2009, 02:34 AM
what are peoples thoughts on canon 500d with twin IS lens kit ? will be getting it for round $1250