PDA

View Full Version : AE86 + S14 Crossmember + SR20?

DR86FT
27th June 2008, 12:09 PM
I've heard someone say that people have used a S14 Crossmember (bolt in). So the sr20 drops straight in. i don't know where it sits hi/low back or forward. and i guess tunnel massage or mod with custom gearbox crossmember also don't know sr20 box or sr/rb hybrid box.

DRFTPG
27th June 2008, 12:34 PM
i highly doubt an s14 crossmember would bolt straight up. kaizen garage sells cross members to suit but.

johl
27th June 2008, 01:01 PM
maybe they cut the middle section of an 86 cross member out and weld the s14 in so the mounts are there

DRFTPG
27th June 2008, 01:43 PM
yeh if your good with a welder then cut the mounts off a s14 crossmember and weld them onto an ae86 one. or what i would do is cut a ke70 one up and sell your ae86 one, would bemuch more cost effective

ae71
27th June 2008, 02:41 PM
my cousin told me that a full R34 GTR BR26dett and AWD bolts directly into a trueno?

jokes

johl
27th June 2008, 03:04 PM
^^^^ only if ur not running lca's and bottom passenger side trailing arm

SNAP
4th July 2008, 06:35 PM
THe SR crossmember is to wide to fit between the rails.

Dom86
6th July 2008, 02:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae71 @ Jun 27 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=553361)</div>
my cousin told me that a full R34 GTR BR26dett and AWD bolts directly into a trueno?

jokes[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johl @ Jun 27 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=553370)</div>
^^^^ only if ur not running lca's and bottom passenger side trailing arm[/b]

you need to have NEONS also!

quadeyquade
6th July 2008, 02:40 AM
you need chrome rims bigger than the car too, otherwise it wont do sik skidz

Simon-AE86
6th July 2008, 11:36 AM
it fits, you just need to drill out the holes in the crossmember

works510
6th July 2008, 12:08 PM
Was just about to say that, slot those holes!

deleta
6th July 2008, 12:54 PM
or s13 crossmember bolt up , but im not sure what you would do about the power steering, and also the motor sits a lil further forward than one would like.

Simon-AE86
6th July 2008, 05:07 PM
no way, with S13 crossmember, the motor sits quite low and far back in the engine bay a much better position compared to making mounts to suit the KE/AE chassis.

EDIT: just to clarify i fitted a s14 crossmember to my KE70 today (same as ae86 in terms of crossmember mounting and so forth) in 30 mins after some quick wortk with a die grinder and a tape measure, I now have it sitting square in the engine bar to the mm.

i plan on using the s14 rack as well as i will be running power steer in my daily KE, got an S14 VVT NA motor dirt cheap so why notl ;)

Gunner
6th July 2008, 05:36 PM
just curious simon, but are you plannin on using the s14 suspension? are you modding your strut towers to suit, from my measurements, tryin to squeze the struts into the factory 86 position, throws the geometry way out of wack, and will end up in huge camber, though i don't know too much bout suspension, but i have been advised by my suspension bloke to try and mod the towers to suit, measured against an s14 there is just enough room for them to be mounted in the factory s14 position in an 86, but involves a fair wack of work to the strut towers.

Hokey
6th July 2008, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jul 6 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557386)</div>
just curious simon, but are you plannin on using the s14 suspension? are you modding your strut towers to suit, from my measurements, tryin to squeze the struts into the factory 86 position, throws the geometry way out of wack, and will end up in huge camber, though i don't know too much bout suspension, but i have been advised by my suspension bloke to try and mod the towers to suit, measured against an s14 there is just enough room for them to be mounted in the factory s14 position in an 86, but involves a fair wack of work to the strut towers.[/b]

maybe running s13 suspension with the s14 rack would be a good solution? alot of people use s13 front setup in there hachis/ke's.

prolly does the same thing as the s14 suspension with the geometry its just that no one bothers measuring/calculating before they do it :P

Simon-AE86
6th July 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm not using s14 susp for now, i have just re drilled the LCA bolt holes in the crossmember forther in, which means its not forcing the control arms out as much.

but really... its not a drama, i have no idea why you would need to modify strut towers or the like, but it can all be made to work and work well with some thinking

sr_rolla
6th July 2008, 07:55 PM
just another thing, if the rack is higher/lower than the ke rack or the lca inner mounts are no in the same position or the rack ends are to far apart u will have all sorts of suspension dramas. it can be fixed but its a whole lot more involved than just dropping the x-member in.

if the rack end are in the wrong spot u will have to shorten/lengthen the tie rods=bumpsteer
rack to high low=bumpsteer
lca mounts incorrect=bumpsteer and camber changes

i'd be doing a whole lot of measuring b4 going with this setup.

way easier to modify the ke/ae crossmember and maybe space it down a little. With the ke x-member u can get the sr back to within about 1-2" of the firewall anyway.

Simon-AE86
6th July 2008, 08:02 PM
once again, all that is needed is some quick work with a tape measure and dripp, and you can drill the holes out to suit the KE and eliminate most of the susp changes, the steering rack is lower then the KE one tho which is about the only drama.

I'll take pics tomorrow

sr_rolla
6th July 2008, 08:34 PM
if the only drama is that the rack is lower then if u can redrill the inner lca mts lower by the same amount as the rack is lower than stock then u should be right

are you going to run full S14/S13 front suspension? like the struts, brakes etc?

Simon-AE86
6th July 2008, 09:00 PM
not in my car currently. its just a daily driver with an NA S14 VVT SR going in it.

another car me and some mates are building has the entire S13 front fitted. So s13 crossmember, struts, brakes, LCA's master cyln, brake booster, SR turbo and box. all fits very easilty really.

Dom86
6th July 2008, 11:17 PM
since you like modifying, have you thought about using an s13 rear cradle as well?. Ive herd it been done before.

Simon-AE86
8th July 2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah its been done, and its a LOT more complicated then just slotting some holes for a crossmember thats for sure lol. I wouldn't do it myself unless i had a hoist and a lot of spare time at my disposal. Whilist nothing is impossible... the live axle can be made to work and work well so i don't see the point (other then having a bullet proof diff that LSD's are common as for)

Simon-AE86
8th July 2008, 06:36 PM
pic as promised.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5927/p6270258gv9.th.jpg (http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p6270258gv9.jpg)

de_drft
8th July 2008, 11:05 PM
The s13 power steering in a ke makes the steering extremely light, good for parking though.

And you can get s13 lca's modified to be adjustable, that way you can run a complete s13 front end easily.

de_drft
8th July 2008, 11:13 PM
And Simon, I have a steering uni here to suit s13 power steering rack in a ke/ae if you're in need of one ;)

Matt-AE86
11th July 2008, 10:36 AM
I recently finished my SR20DET conversion in my AE86. I also looked at the option of using the S13/S14 crossmember. Reason for me not using it is the placement of the lca was more forward, therfor it put the castor out and to run the right ammount of castor, or the castor i wanted, I would have to cut the bumper, tubb the chassis and run the wheel quite forward.

I might look into using the crossmember again later on with welding on the mounts for an AE rack plus moving the control arms further back. The only REAL benifit I saw from using the S1x crossmember was a perfect fitment around the engine.

At the moment my engine is incredibly close to crossmember and steering rack, even after shaving the SR20 alloy sump abit.

The way I fitted my engine was by just slotting the original AE mounts on the crossmember.

gze-style
11th July 2008, 08:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt-AE86 @ Jul 11 2008, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=559964)</div>
I recently finished my SR20DET conversion in my AE86. I also looked at the option of using the S13/S14 crossmember. Reason for me not using it is the placement of the lca was more forward, therfor it put the castor out and to run the right ammount of castor, or the castor i wanted, I would have to cut the bumper, tubb the chassis and run the wheel quite forward.

I might look into using the crossmember again later on with welding on the mounts for an AE rack plus moving the control arms further back. The only REAL benifit I saw from using the S1x crossmember was a perfect fitment around the engine.

At the moment my engine is incredibly close to crossmember and steering rack, even after shaving the SR20 alloy sump abit.

The way I fitted my engine was by just slotting the original AE mounts on the crossmember.[/b]

Yep, My engine is incredibly close to crossmember and rack also. I'm running custom mounts on ke70 x-member which i don't like that much, so ill be making another x-member/mounts very soon

Nic19
16th August 2008, 09:31 PM
simon you say the s13 brake booster and master cylinder fit in easily. would this be my best bet as i am doing the same conversion as you. I'm currently doing the steering rack getting it ready to drop the engine in.
cheers

Simon-AE86
17th August 2008, 01:04 AM
yeah the bolt straight in,

only do it if upgading to massive brakes (such as 4 pot nissan callipers) otherwise its overkill

driftke70
20th August 2008, 02:30 PM
i have fitted s14 gear into the front of an s13, it does lead to excessive camber, this was done for the benifit of 5 stud.

Nic19
22nd August 2008, 07:12 PM
hey simon. was it just the brake master you say bolts in? will the clutch master bolt in or not?

Simon-AE86
22nd August 2008, 07:16 PM
yeah brake booster and master will, clutch master wont, as its a diff stud pattern, but hey, thats what the drill is for ;)

Nic19
24th August 2008, 07:46 PM
how did you change the pedal box in your ke? I'm in the process of doing it now and I'm having a damn hard time doing it.

Simon-AE86
24th August 2008, 08:33 PM
pull the steering column out, and the gauge cluster, then u can get to it ;)

Nic19
25th August 2008, 08:09 PM
i just can't get to the top bolt on the left side. its behind wires and stuff.

Simon-AE86
25th August 2008, 08:12 PM
so move the stuff :P

hilton
5th September 2008, 08:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simon-AE86 @ Jul 6 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557373)</div>
no way, with S13 crossmember, the motor sits quite low and far back in the engine bay a much better position compared to making mounts to suit the KE/AE chassis.

EDIT: just to clarify i fitted a s14 crossmember to my KE70 today (same as ae86 in terms of crossmember mounting and so forth) in 30 mins after some quick wortk with a die grinder and a tape measure, I now have it sitting square in the engine bar to the mm.

i plan on using the s14 rack as well as i will be running power steer in my daily KE, got an S14 VVT NA motor dirt cheap so why notl ;)[/b]

just buy an s14 for suck sake lol.

Simon-AE86
8th September 2008, 10:48 PM
why?

i achieved something most people dont do, for 1/20th the price lol

DR86FT
24th September 2008, 08:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simon-AE86 @ Jul 6 2008, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557373)</div>

i plan on using the s14 rack as well as i will be running power steer in my daily KE, got an S14 VVT NA motor dirt cheap so why notl ;)[/b]

im doing the sr20 conversion on my ae86 can i use my stock rack? is it safe to redrill where the LCA's and do i need to redrill using ae86 LCA's?
is the power steering much better? and if i use power steering rack could i use ae86 suspension??

Clinton
24th September 2008, 09:25 PM
1. yes (providing you use the original cross member)
2. were on the LCA? if you mean on the cross member yes
3. id presume if you looked under the car you would notice if it needed to be dremelled out or not
4. no
5. just buy power steering set up from a jap spec 86

Simon-AE86
24th September 2008, 11:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DR86FT @ Sep 24 2008, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=592269)</div>
im doing the sr20 conversion on my ae86 can i use my stock rack? is it safe to redrill where the LCA's and do i need to redrill using ae86 LCA's?
is the power steering much better? and if i use power steering rack could i use ae86 suspension??[/b]

further to clintons reply.

you cannot use the stock KE rack with the nissan crossmember, and why would you either. if your planning on using the KE/AE crossmember and mounting an SR20 into it then you can run ae86 susp + ae86 PS no worries... but you'll need an 86 PS rack, and then some lines going to the SR PS pump.

dont redrill the LCA holes in the rack. this changes the pivot points between the LCA and Steering arm and introduces bump steer.

im using nissan crossmember, S14 rack, S13 brakes, LCA's coilovers and i used the power steering set up. I have found its not super light once you have wide offset and decent rubber + lots of castor. its quite nice.

Clinton
25th September 2008, 12:11 AM
if you were doing an sr20 conversion wouldnt you already know all this stuff as you would have been researching prefusely on the topic?

DR86FT
25th September 2008, 11:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clinton @ Sep 24 2008, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=592411)</div>
if you were doing an sr20 conversion wouldnt you already know all this stuff as you would have been researching prefusely on the topic?[/b]

i wasnt sure if i should use an s13 crossmember because its much cheaper than custom and the engine sits lower. just was sure about the steering rack etc....

also i'm being fucked asround to get custom mounts done engine and box... i get the same line "next week" next week never comes

Simon-AE86
27th September 2008, 12:22 PM
yeah the engine sits lower alright, prob too low lol.

use nissan rack with nissan x member

toyota rack with toyota crossmember.

DR86FT
28th September 2008, 05:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simon-AE86 @ Sep 27 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=593328)</div>
yeah the engine sits lower alright, prob too low lol.

use nissan rack with nissan x member

toyota rack with toyota crossmember.[/b]

i got a type x 180 cross member and rack and mounts 100. see how we go.

also unsure about where the tie rods will sit as the rack and member are lower and i want to use stock ae86 sus . i dont really want to change the geometry

Matt-AE86
1st October 2008, 12:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DR86FT @ Sep 28 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=593515)</div>
i got a type x 180 cross member and rack and mounts 100. see how we go.

also unsure about where the tie rods will sit as the rack and member are lower and i want to use stock ae86 sus . i dont really want to change the geometry[/b]

This is why I didnt use the S1x crossmember :(

Simon-AE86
1st October 2008, 03:31 PM
if you dont want to change the ae86 then i dont recommend fitting the S13 crossmember... it wont work too well (i have tried it) same as running s13 susp with ae86 crossmember doesnt work too well.

but when you run s13 crossmember and s13 susp... it works great