PDA

View Full Version : World Record Continous Drift 2308m

PRIMRK
21st June 2011, 03:08 PM
Friend just emailed me this link, wish i knew that the previous record was only 400m...i would have given it a crack...

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011/prestige-and-luxury/mercedesbenz/mercedesbenz-c63-amg-sets-new-world-drifting-record-25356

ToySprinta
21st June 2011, 03:11 PM
doesn't seem like that much, a lightweight car like a rolla wouldnt shred the tyres as quick and go heaps further

maxhag
22nd June 2011, 04:29 AM
doesn't seem like that much, a lightweight car like a rolla wouldnt shred the tyres as quick and go heaps further

You know what to do now Steve, I say we put the challenge out to you to officially beat this record...........
Do we have a facility to do this in Australia? (iam sure we can use one of our canberra roundabouts... lol hahahaha)

marvis
22nd June 2011, 09:59 AM
That's dumb... It's just a big hoop...

skizzamods
22nd June 2011, 12:19 PM
lame

Rice86
22nd June 2011, 03:45 PM
fail...i thought it was like a race track and he was linking corner to corner...

im sure anyone can beat this record in the around a small roundabout with chopped springs and a locked if they wanted to, might take longer in time but for sure it's not impossible

ToySprinta
23rd June 2011, 10:25 AM
Shamelessly lifted from autoblog.com:

Just what is a "world record" drift? That is the question posed by 2010 Formula Drift champion Vaughn Gittin, Jr. and many of his fellow professional drifters, following the announcement by Mercedes-Benz that it had set a new drifting record over this past weekend. According to the German automaker, Mauro Calo drifted a C63 AMG around a skidpad for 7,572 feet, topping Gittin's original record of 6,285 feet set in December of 2008 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Impressive, but maybe not so much. Is circling a flat skidpad in a continuous loop until one of the tires blows considered drifting? Or, is real drifting a skill that requires a lot more talent?

Guinness World Records defines drifting as, "driving a car with rear slip angle that is greater to the front." Vaughn Gittin, Jr., and fellow Formula Drift competitor Michael Essa, call that a "donut." After watching the C63 circle the concrete pad for more than two minutes, Gittin was unimpressed. "There are about 60 drivers that show up to Formula Drift every month, as well as thousands of grassroots drifters, that can do giant donuts until the tires pop, as well."

It is time for Guinness World Records to recognize the talent behind drifting, not the spectacle of a smoky donut. To put credibility back into the attempt, Gittin suggests redefining the record as, "drifting without intersecting your drift line." This is the way Formula Drift operates, with competitors tossing their vehicles into turns at 100 mph and holding the car sideways throughout a challenging course. Most importantly, adds Gittin, "This result would be a record that took a lot of skill, balls, and wouldn't put you to sleep watching the video of it." We couldn't agree more.

k.aaron
23rd June 2011, 12:09 PM
Most of the people on here could do that on the way to the shops.

PRIMRK
23rd June 2011, 12:49 PM
well...how bout you go out to a skid pan and do it, record it and then send it in to Guinness world records...id love to see a lil ol toyota take a title off the AMG

Jacobxxx
23rd June 2011, 02:54 PM
Challenge accepted.

Moebius
23rd June 2011, 05:02 PM
Friend just emailed me this link, wish i knew that the previous record was only 400m...i would have given it a crack...

I read that as he beat the previous record by 400m, not that the previous record was 400m.

spiderman
23rd June 2011, 05:19 PM
Fuck, I could do massive donuts for 2min if I had the power. And I can't slide AT ALL.

PRIMRK
25th June 2011, 01:48 AM
yeh i just re read it then, my mistake...i was thinking 400m... that's real crap...

blair
27th June 2011, 08:43 PM
I got to 22 seconds and closed the tab LOL

claw
28th June 2011, 03:08 AM
well, that video certainly made me tired, lucky me, i been trying to get to sleep for 4 hours hahaha

lolwat
28th June 2011, 09:57 PM
there will be 1000 yanks already biulding cars jsut to beat it, but seriously, im sure there would be several people(even on here) that would be able to do that

haveaparty
29th June 2011, 02:37 PM
also helps that its proly got 600+ hp

PRIMRK
30th June 2011, 07:55 PM
well ill offer up my V86 if there is some one here that could do it that just needs more power/torque

ae8616v
2nd July 2011, 03:21 AM
What a wank these fancy germans are with thier horsies and F1 developed gayness (although i must say it is impressive)... Agreed- anyone can lap roundbouts. Thats how I first learned how to skid. That dude probably had accel/counter steer set and steered with his knee while he rubbed his hands together thinking his the bawwssss. What a joke!