PDA

View Full Version : 3D TVs

randomskate
1st July 2011, 01:15 PM
I was lookin at 3D TVs last night I'm pretty sure I'm getting this 55" bad boy on saturday interest free finance for 30 months http://www.harveynorman.com.au/product/1256975826319/lg--full-high-definition-smart-d-led-lcd-tv I have a hook up through a friend in chatswood Harvey Norman and can get this model for $2200 on finance.

I mainly want it for playing Gran Torismo 5 in 3D on PS3 (yes it supports 3D natively :)) I have a 42" LCD that i'll move in my bedroom or sell for $400 if anyone wants it.

Anyone have a good 3D TV that they suggest around the same price range? If its around $3200 i should be able to get it for around $2200... Even though the refresh rate is 200Hz it seems like it still kind of jitters a bit when your playing high res blurays when i looked at it in JB HiFi last night...

I'm buying it tomorrow probably maybe someone has some input thats done more research on them than I have?

Cheers

Delazy
1st July 2011, 09:34 PM
LG products are horrible...that particular model in particular...

it only uses a passive 3d mode, much like cinema 3d movies (el cheapo glasses) its actually quite a low resolution and washed out (color) picture in comparison to active 3d models...

as for return/failure rates...in my workplace LG easily has the highest DOA percentage...

if your going to use a screen for gaming/movies/sport like most of us...buy a plasma...

they are naturally able to handle motion and realistic color...

anyone that tells you LED is superior to plasma is trying to take extra money from your pocket...especially in the larger screens

models of interest are Panasonic ST/GT series and Samsung D550...

if you wanna watch something quite funky...watch the matrix with a 100hz/200hz lcd/led screen and tell me the bullet dodging scenes dnt look horrible...(tv uses algorithms to predict/create extra frames...if the motion isnt nature, then it does all kinds of funky things)

but will check back on this tomorrow evening and see what else is said...

killabeez_1985
3rd July 2011, 07:38 PM
I could never suggest to anyone that they should buy a plasma tv....

slide86
3rd July 2011, 07:42 PM
^^^^ any factual basis for that statement?

Just interested is all

killabeez_1985
3rd July 2011, 07:52 PM
burning gas in a television. more power consumption.

Delazy
3rd July 2011, 10:55 PM
I could never suggest to anyone that they should buy a plasma tv....

you do realise that the current generation of plasma screens are using less power than last years LCD models? id also guess that you have no interest in having superior picture quality either...vote greens you say?

Nicko
4th July 2011, 08:26 AM
LOL, zing!

randomskate
4th July 2011, 09:47 AM
i didnt end up buying one. Harvey norman doesnt have the sales on any more it was only the the saturday before.. Damn.. If someone sees a good deal on something like this or similar please let me know.. Besides that model was a bit jittery on really fast motion sequences.. Are all lcds like this? Your saying plasmas dont suffer from this in general? so im gonna keep looking for something above 50 inch at a decent price...with the active/passive 3d i cant really notice the difference lol..

Nicko
4th July 2011, 10:02 AM
Plasmas are always better for faster action like sports & movies.

LCDs are crap. Avoid.

Delazy
4th July 2011, 01:24 PM
Lcds/leds are crap...they have a place in the market...just not in large size screens being used for sport/gaming/movies as most people falling under the car enthusiast stereotype are likely to use them for...

Plasmas dont generally require any kind of artificial processing as seen in lcd/led screens...anything shown on a lcd/led whether its tv, movie or console gaming is always heavily processed...extra frames artificially inserted to help with the motion or colors being adjusted so as the screen can show a 'better color range'...moving forward lcd/led/oled will be the technically superior type of screen, but it isnt as yet...plasma still holds that postition...

Reason for suggesting panasonic in particular is they hold the rights to alot of pioneers technology since buying out pioneers tv development team. The two main ones being the kuroi (blacker blacks) and antiglare screen. Unlike samsung trying to produce high end lcd/led and plasma screens panasonic have stuck to only producing high end plasma with a smaller led offer. panasonic models are also generally assembled in japan and stored/shipped out of places such as china and taiwan in attempts to cut costs logistically rather than product quality...

If you can find new stock of last years VT20 series panels, jump on it as they would b quite cheap now...otherwise the new ST30/GT30/VT30 are the go :)

Anyways, epic novel post considering its from iphone lol...might post more later...

Bozu
4th July 2011, 04:02 PM
Just out of curiosity; You're saying plasma is better for fast moving images then lcd/led and the black is blacker, but on what area's is lcd/led better then plasma?

Delazy
4th July 2011, 04:08 PM
Just out of curiosity; You're saying plasma is better for fast moving images then lcd/led and the black is blacker, but on what area's is lcd/led better then plasma?

-lower power consumption (comparing same generations)
-lower heat output
-generally last longer
-quite alot slimmer design

Bozu
4th July 2011, 05:23 PM
So basically you saying image wise plasma is superior on every aspect?

Nicko
4th July 2011, 05:51 PM
Have you ever stoon infront of an LCD, then stood infront of a plasma while they were both showing the same thing??????!

KurtHS
4th July 2011, 06:09 PM
LCD/LED are better in high sunlight, so if you get the sunset going right into the room where your tv is you're better off with LCD/LED.

Delazy
4th July 2011, 06:22 PM
LCD/LED are better in high sunlight, so if you get the sunset going right into the room where your tv is you're better off with LCD/LED.

Very much correct, unless its a higher end panasonic model with the antiglare coating..would be minimal difference in this case

Nicko
4th July 2011, 07:01 PM

30 minutes of this per day.

Plasma wins, again...

randomskate
4th July 2011, 08:04 PM
who has their tvs outside anyways.. Vertical blinds win!! Plasmas seem to be cheaper in general too. I know lgs use generic chinese made panels which are also used in random 'no name' brands. I was just leaning towards cheaper options. I used to have a panasonic viera 42 plasma and it burns marks on the screen like your mini map while playing games etc... Umm i'd love a plasma because of its superior contrast ratio mainly. Didnt know it was 'faster' just was worried bout it not lasting as long and using too much power mainly. Thanks for the resonses guys

Frak
4th July 2011, 08:29 PM
I have an 8 series Samsung LED LCD, it was quite expensive when I bought it, you can get them much cheaper but I still think around $3500 most of the 3d stuff is really well done, alot of it comes down to how they have filmed/processed it, I have seen 3d movies that look crap on different brands but generally most are good, the animation ones are generally really good.

Delazy I looked around for quite a while as I was spending a lot of coin, the 200hz Led's are GREAT for sport, that crap you hear about picture quality may be true for a cheap Led but spend some coin and the picture is awesome. I find Plasma to be very fake in it's colouration, it doesn't look real, at first glance you think fvck that's deep and bright but the more you look, just doesn't look natural, but hey each to there own.

killabeez_1985
4th July 2011, 09:40 PM
Im really interested to look at a good quality plasma compared to an LED tv. I work at retravision, going on personal prefrence i would have taken an led over a plasma any day of the week. I dont actually see any decent plasma's come through my work. Most of the plasma's i see these days are dicounted pieces of crap!!!!! The people posting in this thread sound like they know more about tv's then me , but untill i see them side by side im not taking it as truth!

KurtHS
4th July 2011, 10:12 PM
Actually Nick at my old house we used to get bad sunlight glare directly onto the plasma and it was almost unwatchable, we only had lace curtains and weren't planning on putting anything more heavy duty up as it was an original victorian hospital converted into a home.

randomskate
5th July 2011, 09:54 AM
i think it comes down to the finish of the screen mainly not lcd vs plasma. Saying that plasmas generally have a glassy surface ive noticed and lcds have a softer finish like computer screens but i have seen glossy lcds also that looked really glarey.. Havent seen a plasma with an anti glare finish maybe cause the way they work.. I dunno.. Also just because a tv's panel is 200hz is not a true representation of the speed of the tv. Ive seen 200hz lcds jitter at high speed motion movies. It probably comes down to how powerful the tv's processor is and whether it is a plasma or not... Am i right?

dove grey 64
5th July 2011, 06:24 PM
im a samsung led/lcd guy, not a fan of plasma tv's, they get image burn, weigh a TON, use more power.
then again im not into 200hz tv's either, the motion looks to weird to me.

slide86
5th July 2011, 09:46 PM
modern plasmas dont get image burn

Delazy
5th July 2011, 10:11 PM
modern plasmas dont get image burn

exactly...plasma as a technology has completely changed in the last 2 1/2 years...

randomskate
6th July 2011, 11:44 AM
For those of you who don't realise, "LED TV" is just a buzz word. Samsung made it up to increase sales, create hype etc. In reality its still an LCD TV that just uses LED backlights (which makes better contrast and saves more power.)

Two of the best articles i've found so far about this, they are definately worth a read! (they were written less than a month ago)

PLASMA vs LCD
http://www.cnet.com.au/plasma-vs-lcd-which-is-right-for-you-240036500.htm

LCD vs LED vs PLASMA
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

dove grey 64
6th July 2011, 11:03 PM
agreed, they should call it "led backlit lcd tv"....... but anybody that thinks that led's could be made up into pixels to make a tv screen should be back at pre school instead of buying tv's.

dove grey 64
6th July 2011, 11:06 PM
oh yeah another thing about plasma tv's i dont like, and correct me if im wrong (maybe new gen tv's dont have this), but its normal to have pixel burn and this is not covered by warranty? little black dots on the screen would shit me.

Delazy
6th July 2011, 11:14 PM
agreed, they should call it "led backlit lcd tv"....... but anybody that thinks that led's could be made up into pixels to make a tv screen should be back at pre school instead of buying tv's.

oh yeah another thing about plasma tv's i dont like, and correct me if im wrong (maybe new gen tv's dont have this), but its normal to have pixel burn and this is not covered by warranty? little black dots on the screen would shit me.

you should be back in preschool as your understanding of what your talkin about is minimal...

1 - 99% of LED screens are not back lit ;) they are edge lit...backlit is still a very EARLY technology and only features on VERY high end panels
2 - plasma burn in isnt "black dots", its image retention/ghosting...meaning you will get a faint image (game minimaps, dvd menus, tv inputs, channel logos etc) showing in particular shades
3 - LCD/LED screens however get "black dots"...they are known as dead pixels...

dove grey 64
10th July 2011, 12:11 PM
you should be back in preschool as your understanding of what your talkin about is minimal...

1 - 99% of LED screens are not back lit ;) they are edge lit...backlit is still a very EARLY technology and only features on VERY high end panels
2 - plasma burn in isnt "black dots", its image retention/ghosting...meaning you will get a faint image (game minimaps, dvd menus, tv inputs, channel logos etc) showing in particular shades
3 - LCD/LED screens however get "black dots"...they are known as dead pixels...

lol meow, ok so i'm partially right about the lcd led's but only when talking about high end screens...
ramdom skate wrote

For those of you who don't realise, "LED TV" is just a buzz word. Samsung made it up to increase sales, create hype etc. In reality its still an LCD TV that just uses LED backlights (which makes better contrast and saves more power.)
going to flame him too?

Nicko
10th July 2011, 12:29 PM
Just admit that you don't know shit :P

Rather than "haters gonna hate"

Frak
10th July 2011, 01:49 PM
I say buy what you like, if you like plasma, buy a plasma, if you like lcd buy one, unless your inviting all of AE86DC over for a dvd night, who cares what you have. :)

fantapants
11th July 2011, 07:16 PM
lol old boy got all kinds of upset at being set straight,

fwiw the mrs gave away my plasma tellie when we left brissy. it was a very expensive model from years ago, and we figured we could pick something equivelant up for 500 these days down here (tas). We looked for weeks trying to find anything that was as watchable and natural as that old girl. In the end, personally,. i HATED looking at lcd or ledlcd... even the high end stuff gave me freeky eye syndrome :)

But no one bar panasonic is doing high end plasma these days. they are all the cheap must have the bioggest screen in the world and pay nothing for it junk.

Managed to find last years panasonic true hd plasma for half price, and have to agree with lazy, its about the only thing i have watched that is really nicely made.

would never watch a big screen lcd if given the choice.

but these are my eyes people, and they farking hate 3d too...

dove grey 64
11th July 2011, 11:12 PM
not upset, should have researched more before i put my 2 cents in. from what delazy has pointed out i'll give a plasma tv a better look next time i see one.

blinded
12th July 2011, 03:20 PM
I have a Samsung 50" Plasma which I bought for $1700 about 13 months ago. Definitely isn't "Top of the Line" but I seriously cant fault it. Displays Tv, Movies and Games perfectly fine. I don't think I'd notice the difference between mine and an upper market one...

My 2c :)

Nicko
12th July 2011, 03:29 PM
When I was in the market for mine (boss owed me commissions and said go look for a Plasma to make up for it) i went to WOW / Clive Peters Etc to look for a 42" unit and I spent a long time looking at picture quality on the LOW END ($1200 - $1700) units at the time, and the Plasmas kicked serious ass.

Up until that point I really hadn't had any pre-conceived notions of which was better, but after what I saw, I was doubtful that I would ever purchase / own an LED/LCD unit.

blair
12th July 2011, 05:53 PM

BAH

what phone do you use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

Give it time.

randomskate
14th July 2011, 03:15 PM
I keep changing my mind LOL... I'm kinda thinking about NOT getting a 3D TV at all now and going for a 55 - 60 inch plasma! I thought to myself, do I REALLY want to sit there with glasses on while i'm watching TV all the time? And even if I did have one, most of the stuff I'd be watching wouldn't be in 3D anyway... Maybe the world (me) isn't ready for 3D TVs..

Thanks everyone for their opinions though, I'm definately going to get a plasma now, where as before I posted this thread I was pretty set on an LED TV, but cannot find one a decent sized one that doesn't 'jitter' when you're playing high-speed animations that are under $4500. I only want to spend around the $2,000 mark.

Delazy
14th July 2011, 04:25 PM
You do realise you only wear the glasses when watching 3d content (games/bluray) 2d - 3d conversion is a waste of time before anyone suggests that...

3d screens are generally quite better panels also...higher contrast ratios, better internet features and media playback...

So its not like your buying a better screen just for 3d purposes....

Look into the panasonic st30 series, i m certain it will impress...check out your local myer store, massive savings running til sunday on both left over clearance models and new stock...

Know what you want and hit up the youngest looking salesperson on the floor and screw them for price ;)

randomskate
14th July 2011, 06:29 PM
You do realise you only wear the glasses when watching 3d content (games/bluray) 2d - 3d conversion is a waste of time before anyone suggests that...

3d screens are generally quite better panels also...higher contrast ratios, better internet features and media playback...

So its not like your buying a better screen just for 3d purposes....

Look into the panasonic st30 series, i m certain it will impress...check out your local myer store, massive savings running til sunday on both left over clearance models and new stock...

Know what you want and hit up the youngest looking salesperson on the floor and screw them for price ;)

Yeah I do realise that! LMAO, maybe i worded it wrong i dunno..The majority of the content that I will watch probably will not be in 3D... Thanks, I'll check myer out tonight at late night shopping!

focus_7
18th July 2011, 12:45 AM
Out of curiosity, Most computer monitors are LCD right? Movies and games look ok on PC monitors, is size the only thing that makes big LCD or LED Tv's look wrong.

I've noticeed strange movement on bigger tv's as well is all, That's why I havnt upgraded my CRT yet.

Frak
18th July 2011, 12:47 PM
Out of curiosity, Most computer monitors are LCD right? Movies and games look ok on PC monitors, is size the only thing that makes big LCD or LED Tv's look wrong.

I've noticeed strange movement on bigger tv's as well is all, That's why I havnt upgraded my CRT yet.

People must be buying/looking at cheap lcd/led panels! I've had mine for nearly a year now and looks great, no unsually movement, no over processing of picture, but I did spend quite a lot of coin. I had a good look at plasma/led lcd before parting with my cash and all the plasma screens looked fake, the picture just didn't look realistic. I watch heaps of sport and the picture is fluid, like I said maybe people are buying/looking at $500 panels!

McLEVIN
18th July 2011, 12:54 PM
Yeh I've been looking at some tvs I think it comes down to the tv itself not brands, plasma vs lcd. Both have shit units and both have good units.

randomskate
5th August 2011, 03:57 PM
for the record, i ended up getting an LG 600hz plasma, full HD and 3D 60 inch, yeah that's right bitches SIXTY INCHES fuck yeah!!!

and it doesn't lag and jitter at all like the LED LG's that were going for the same price. Yeah plasmas kick arse, I'm really happy with my purchase, its active 3D though so the glasses cost about $120 each.

I got for $2000 6 months interest free from JB:
- Glass tv cabinet
- 60" 3d plasma
- 2x active 3D glasses
- extra 3 yr warranty

ae71
6th September 2011, 02:34 PM
parents just brought a 42" samsung 3d plasma. picture quality is great, better then the last HD tv. Only gripe about it is that it has homo fucking speakers out the back so it sounds like your listening to a single $20 k-mart speaker what L-platers put in there excels. Its connected to a stereo for movies but yeah, kinda shitty otherwise just to get that ultra sleek minimalistic look.

randomskate
12th September 2011, 10:15 AM
One of the similiar things that sort of piss me off about mine too, i want to plug in my stereo into the audio output of my tv but the only form of audio output is optical so that means upgrading to an optical capable system just to be able to get half decent sound quality, no RCA out for audio :( so yeah i'm stuck with shitty as you say L plater excel/kmart style speakers too

Delazy
12th September 2011, 11:27 AM
what inputs are available in your stereo? should be a converter available cheaper than replacing a system :)

randomskate
12th September 2011, 11:35 AM
I only just bought the system like a month befroe the tv which was $300 its a sony 5.1 channel and only has RCA inputs, yeah i'll put up with it for now till my 86 is running because i need to spend money on it, it's allright when i'm not watching TV because i can plug the ps3 outputs into the stereo and hdmi into the tv

Delazy
12th September 2011, 12:11 PM
wat brand/model tv?

most of the 2011 tv's have a hdmi port with audio return...meaning that all you need to do is run a hdmi v1.4 cable between that particular port and to the home theater and the problem is sorted...or should be, assuming that the particular sony setup supports ARC

randomskate
12th September 2011, 01:05 PM
ohh that sounds good, so your saying you can use the hdmi output of my stereo also as an input?? because my sony system only has hdmi out, i think.

here are the systems here

Sony 5.1 System: http://www.sony.com.au/product/dav-tz200/sku/dav-tz200__cau1
LG Plasma TV: http://www.lg.com/au/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-60PZ570.jsp

haha just saw a review on the LG site with a guy complaining about the same thing i was

McLEVIN
27th December 2011, 05:16 PM
Bumoing up

Now looking at tvs I'm tossing between Samsung led lcd 7 series or Panasonic neo plasma g series
Was gonna get the Panasonic but samsungs picture is pretty good.
Not so sure now :s

Matt
31st December 2011, 08:47 AM
Go for the better picture quality. If you need business case from the misses just argue that it'll last for 5 years or longer and that it'll work out to be a few cents a day.

I've got a series 6 samsung and haven't regretted it.

Delazy
31st December 2011, 09:18 AM
Panasonic gt30...best picture and value IMHO ATM...

sidewayz_simon
6th April 2012, 01:55 AM
Give it another month. New models rolling out. Current line up of LED's: samsung are shit. Faults, backlight bleeding, shit blacks, pixelated images. Sony are better, but not by much. Sharp make a better panel than both. I had a current 60".Ironically, IMHO Toshiba are making some really good TV's lately. I own a 55". Not as heavily marketed, because the kickbacks aren't as good for the retailer. LG aren't even worth mentioning.

Panasonic plasmas are GOOD. Good blacks, fast response rates, good price points. Slightly heavier power consumption is a worthwhile sacrifice. 3D IMHO is overrated, but if that's why your upgrading, get Panasonic.

Optical out FTW. RCA two channel audio is gayer than Elton John on roller blades.

sidewayz_simon
6th April 2012, 02:02 AM
Bumoing up

Now looking at tvs I'm tossing between Samsung led lcd 7 series or Panasonic neo plasma g series
Was gonna get the Panasonic but samsungs picture is pretty good.
Not so sure now :s

It's the blacks that define how good the picture is. If you look at the TV in the shop, ask them to put on a live action movie instead of a Pixar cartoon and you'll see what I'm talking about, make sure the brightness hasn't been wound up. Makes the blacks look darker. And shop around. Get opinions on different TV's from different shops. A lot of retailers will skip over a good tv just to push one they have more of in stock. Surround sound systems have around 30-40% profit margins, cables are around 50-60% profit. Keep that in mind, don't be scared to push for a good deal. It's really slow this time of year in electrical retail. A lot of places will suck your dick to get your money.

tuned86
4th May 2012, 09:50 PM
I picked up a 55" GT30 for $1700, gotta love the stock clearence and prices of "older" models. The wireless is hopeless, can't get it to connect with my android reliably. I choose the pana as its got a reputation for reliablity coz i want my screen to last a reasonable amount of time and not cost in the long run.

Delazy
5th May 2012, 01:27 PM
Lol, the problem would be the android phone :p

tuned86
6th May 2012, 10:29 AM
maybe I got a dud wireless unit but even when it connects to the internet for veria link and the software update for the first time, it took me day to repetitive try to make an update. In the end, I had to switch all competing wireless devices (2 laptops) for it to connect and patch properly. I'll try tech support on monday.

Anyone can confirm pana wireless device works stable?

or maybe its as John says...andriod...

Nicko
6th May 2012, 11:02 AM
I would love to hear what exactly is wrong with Android...

Delazy
6th May 2012, 11:16 AM
iPhone owner here dude ;) hence the tongue after my remark...Panasonic tech support would be the best bet...they are usually pretty good...haven't heard of any dramas with all the screens I've sold...but I'm unsure how many of them use them on a network

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 12:13 PM
Any new news on TV chaps, i see the Samsung range has voice and hand recognition type stuff. Im guessing with xmas on the way new stuff will be out shortly.

Looking for big and clear consistent picture quality, 3D is a plus but doesn't have to have it, although with the right movie its ok. Yes im no tight ass with tv's if it cost 5k to get what i want then that's what i pay, maybe

Currently using a LG 50" plasma that is not even true HD its only 1390x760 or some shit like that, thou to be honest its a awesome tv maybe i got lucky with this 1 but it really is a top tv, better then a mates twice as expensive true HD Sony, has served me well thus far this unit, but with ps4/5 on the way starting to look for a new unit.

From what little i know of Tv is once you go over 42" the plasma is a better picture.

Also last time i asked only 2 companies make Plasma panels, Panasonic and LG or was it LG and Sony, oh i cant remember, although that is 3yr old info and no doubt times might have changed.

Delazy
3rd June 2012, 01:09 PM
Wait for the Panasonic VT50 to hit the market...Myer have it exclusively and it's possibly the best picture quality since pioneer left the market...tech junkies are going nuts over it in Japan/US...

Should start in 55" and work up size wise...

Not all that impressed with samsungs new offerings nor Sony...

the voice control is a massive gimmick and I've only seen it successfully demonstrated from within 1m of the panel...

the Australian accent isnt really picked up by the panel any further out...

the hand gesture is cool but again pretty gimmick and slow...

Panasonic also released some pretty good quality LED panels this year...although size limited to 47" ATM the ET50 is worth looking at...

Again Panasonic have dominated the releases so far and the VT50 could possibly convince me to replace my 3 year old screen come august

Delazy
3rd June 2012, 01:12 PM
Samsung still remain market leader sales wise...solely due to marketing and instore sales (higher gross profit/more commission for sales people)...

My commission scheme works otherwise to other retailers... Gross profit doesn't come into effect hence I sell a superior product rather than looking at the more profitable (Samsung/LG)...

Sony do have the best "Internet TV" offer however...

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 05:04 PM
Cheers Del, i will be keeping an eye for this 1.

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 05:10 PM
Much difference between the VT and ST for Panasonic, there would be a difference but would it be worth the extra coin. A Panasonic blog says 5999$ for the vt 65" and 3799$ for the 55"

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 07:25 PM
lol 3 mins research shows the Vt and St use a LG panel, go figure.

Any idea Del when these will be available.

Delazy
3rd June 2012, 10:28 PM
lol 3 mins research shows the Vt and St use a LG panel, go figure.

Any idea Del when these will be available.

Available August...

Find it hard to believe that they use LG panels? Any links...

Matt
3rd June 2012, 11:17 PM
There is allot of activity in the internet tv space in terms of companies starting to broadcast there

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 11:43 PM
Available August...

Find it hard to believe that they use LG panels? Any links...

Yeah mate YouTube Panasonic London 2012 review. Thinking back that might of been the lcd led range they use LG panels.

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 11:50 PM
Sorry try Panasonic 2012 hamburg, reviewer was pommy posted by avforumtv it's about 26min long

Delazy
4th June 2012, 12:56 AM
There is allot of activity in the internet tv space in terms of companies starting to broadcast there

Internet tv will be a massive thing in the near future...

with Internet speeds climbing/NBN roll out and costs dropping I foresee the internet becoming a key in high quality television broadcasts...

think FullHD TV broadcast by the Internet...

I can understand previous model lcds using LG panels, Panasonic didn't take LED screens seriously til this year instead concentrating on plasma...

They were also using IPS (in plane switching) technology on the range of LED screens last year which LG only started using this year...

This year however the screens are produced by Panasonic however they are paying LG royalties for the Cinema3D (passive) feature on the lower end LED 3d offering. Could be mistaken by this maybe?

FoldKing86
6th June 2012, 06:53 PM
Might just look to see what Sony, LG and Samsung are doing this year.

But so far the VT50 is "Charlie Sheen"

Matt
7th June 2012, 07:44 AM
3d will probably fade away like it did back in the 80's again... sure it was crap back then and has come along way, but not everyone likes watching tv with glasses on.

Another market surprise I think will be the number of people watching on iPADS, I've seen quite a few different apps and the quality is right up there.

FoldKing86
7th June 2012, 08:30 PM
3d will probably fade away like it did back in the 80's again... sure it was crap back then and has come along way, but not everyone likes watching tv with glasses on.

Another market surprise I think will be the number of people watching on iPADS, I've seen quite a few different apps and the quality is right up there.

I actually dont mind the 3d tv's i have seen so far, gives alot of depth that you wouldn't normally see on a tv, the missus isnt a fan as she wears glasses but from the shop setups ive seen i dont mind it at all.

At home and in the dark i think it would be heaps better, and of course movie's, shows are getting better at it aswell.

I see some Youtube clips have a 3d option these days aswell, bonus for the tv/internet fan boys.

Im liking this OLED thing too atm thats showing some potential.

Think ill stick with the VT50 for the next 2-3yrs and see whats about then.

Delazy
7th June 2012, 10:36 PM
OLED is the next big thing..Samsung and LG will likely release a model very late this year, if not definitely next year..

Some of the stuff Samsung has done with OLED is insane...Wowed alot of critics at CES few months back...

3d hasn't really boomed here due to the cost/gimmick nature of the technology...passive 3d technology from LG (cinema3d) is opening up another category that consumer is responding strongly too...

I passionately hate selling LG products, but ATM they are selling well in large sizes solely due to passive 3d...

active 3d such as Sony/Samsung/high end Panasonic will always be better quality however...

3d needs the media outlets to recognize the technology and broadcast it natively rather than expecting the tv to convert 2d-3d...

the Olympics will have a number of high profile sports filmed in 3d this year, how many of those broadcasts will make it to Australia I'm unsure...

I personally don't use and nor do I plan to use 3d within the home lol...doesn't do it for me...despite sooo many 3d movies being available via torrent these days

Matt
7th June 2012, 11:41 PM
8 channels on foxtel i'm sure allot will

FoldKing86
11th June 2012, 08:58 PM
8 channels on foxtel i'm sure allot will

Size versus price versus quality id have to say the TH-P55VT50K is winning so far.

Would love the 65' but the 2k difference isnt my cup of tea. I had the idea of "it takes what it takes" but 2k for an extra 10" im not down with it, especially considering size is the only difference. 55" will be enough.

Now where to buy 1?

Delazy
11th June 2012, 09:10 PM
Myer will have it exclusively I believe...

Harvey Norman, good guys and JBHifi definitely won't have access to it...

Once it's released in August hold out til Myer have a 15% off sale (happens regularly these days) and jump on it...

FoldKing86
12th June 2012, 06:46 PM
Myer will have it exclusively I believe...

Harvey Norman, good guys and JBHifi definitely won't have access to it...

Once it's released in August hold out til Myer have a 15% off sale (happens regularly these days) and jump on it...

Ummm my local Good Guy said he isn't stocking that range till end of year, maybe September but could order it for me early.

I do know someone that has also pre ordered a 65VT from JB HiFi. Date for pickup i couldn't tell you thou, me thinks Myer definitely not exclusive sorry. Unless there is some under the table dealings happening.

Just about to compare model numbers now.

FoldKing86
12th June 2012, 06:58 PM
Woops appear to have my model numbers confused, sorry.

Any idea on first starting price Del.

Online stores (not my ideal way of dealing for a tv) are about 3200 atm.

Delazy
12th June 2012, 08:25 PM
a panasonic rep confirmed today that MYER had it exclusively along with a small handful of selected "boutique" stores (read VERY STRICT pricing)...

release is dated hesitantly for August pending stock levels...it is VERY LOW volume due to being a premium product...

other retailers are basing "preorders" from a 2012 TV listing they get sent by panasonic...it lists all models with cost/rrp pricing...it isnt adjusted per business, its just panasonic australias model listing for the year...so said retailers are assuming it will be available for them to purchase...however i can assure you that panasonic chose not to allow jbhifi/harvey norman to not have access to this particular screen...

pricing isnt confirmed by myer, but i imagine they'll do some kind of introductory offer and it should be subject to any 15% sales we regularly run...id personally take a guess and say a retail of $3699 for the 55" which sits it on par with the 55" sony/samsung sell pricing...

when you do see it instore/demonstrated...make sure the sales person has the screen mode set as "Cinema or THX"...difference is massive ;)

FoldKing86
12th June 2012, 08:53 PM
Cheers Del.

And i can only assume these online sellers are merely advertising or selling non Aus stock. As in a Euro version or US version, dont know how but seems logical i guess.

I prefer the VT over the ST purely on the fact once calibrated properly the VT will kill the ST, at best the ST appears to be on par with the VT once calibrated properly but the VT calibrated should be better again.

Its all Jargon to me but others are plenty pleased with the VT once Calibrated and it appears ill get a few yrs service out of it then ill hit up OLED or what ever is available around 2016-17.

Big_Car_Killa
12th June 2012, 10:06 PM
As Lazy said, the panels are only available to Myer, also possibly a small store in launnie and thats it.

If anyone of the big chains outside of Myer tells you with the utmost confidence that they can supply you with a panel, tell them to call their sales rep. Because they wont get it and they've been informed as such.

The other players in the industry were offered the panel but turned it down, so we lowered the amount of our order to the factory and Myer put their hand up to take almost all of the limited production.

Foldking: the 2012 VT outshines the ST with or without calibration. This year is the first time in a long time that the top model's screen isnt shared with the lower models. So you know you're looking at something unique.

The VT50 series has also just been voted TV of the year (2012).

Lazy is also correct in the Cinema/THX mode. But be warned, its calibrated for the average home, not a brightly-light shop. I cant begin to tell you how great it looks in a regular environment!

Free to air 3D broadcast of the olympics will be the same as the Football grand finals: Big city centres only, tassie misses out yet again.

PS: Euro panels are the only ones that will work in australia.

Delazy
12th June 2012, 10:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

listen to this bloke ...

knew he wouldnt stay away ...

FoldKing86
13th June 2012, 07:28 PM
I never doubted anyone, purely passing on what i had read or was told.

Cant wait to get 1.

Delazy
13th June 2012, 08:30 PM
I never doubted anyone, purely passing on what i had read or was told.

Cant wait to get 1.

Out of curiousity I asked at my local jb hifi today also...they told me they'd have it when released and I could preorder...should be interesting when they are released and all the preorder customers haven't been able to be fulfilled

FoldKing86
13th June 2012, 08:38 PM
I was online with Bing lee chat and he said that model should be in store late next week for store show but couldn't confirm, he didn't have confirmation.

Was happy to take a pre order thou, bwahahahahhaha

Also Myers website not updated with this exclusive intel, nor is the Panasonic AU website. Sent an email away all the same.

Either way i will have 1.

Delazy
13th June 2012, 09:49 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1944/pannyinfinite104lg.jpg

myer arent the kind of company to list something on the website til they have stock ready...as said previously...looking at 6 weeks or so still before things will happen unless it gets rushed ahead

Delazy
14th June 2012, 10:13 AM
RRP as follows

55" - 3499
65" - 5499

Myer have stock arriving into our warehouses 29/6...should be in store by end of first week July

FoldKing86
14th June 2012, 04:43 PM
RRP as follows

55" - 3499
65" - 5499

Myer have stock arriving into our warehouses 29/6...should be in store by end of first week July

Many Thanks Del

Calling local Myer right now to get my name on a list or something.

While im at it ill call GoodGuys and Bing Lee for shits and giggles.

Ive worked in retail long enough before to be a prick of a customer.

Delazy
14th June 2012, 05:12 PM
Will likely be advertising/introductory offer when released, but hard to say ATM...just keep an eye out on the Myer website

Big_Car_Killa
20th June 2012, 09:56 AM
I was online with Bing lee chat and he said that model should be in store late next week for store show but couldn't confirm, he didn't have confirmation.

Was happy to take a pre order thou, bwahahahahhaha

Also Myers website not updated with this exclusive intel, nor is the Panasonic AU website. Sent an email away all the same.

Either way i will have 1.

My apologies lads, I thought we were only talking about tassie...

Bing lee will have a few VT's on mainland Australia, but it's not what I call a big chain outside of NSW/Canberra.

But next week? Wishfull Thinking. The top tiered lcd panel has just been released (WT) but shes about it for now.

I'm talking your Harvey's, good guys, and Jb the big chains that won't have access to this panel.

Sorry for the confusion.

FoldKing86
20th June 2012, 03:15 PM
My apologies lads, I thought we were only talking about tassie...

Bing lee will have a few VT's on mainland Australia, but it's not what I call a big chain outside of NSW/Canberra.

But next week? Wishfull Thinking. The top tiered lcd panel has just been released (WT) but shes about it for now.

I'm talking your Harvey's, good guys, and Jb the big chains that won't have access to this panel.

Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't want to say anything for the sake of an argument but i did email Panasonic on the 13/6 and Grant called me saying no one that he was aware of has rights too this panel. Sometimes they do release items exclusively but this series of tv's is not on that list.

So that afternoon i rang around and got sales people to make some calls, Good Guys wanted $3200 for the TH-P55VT50a and BingLee wanted $3300, Good Guys wont go any lower apon release but Bing Lee said there website price is 300 dearer then Myers price so when the unit is instore he will get the price lower. $3300 is the lowest his computer would let him go. So i shuffled my way to Bing Lee and thru a deposit (refundable of course) down on 1 of their 15 they have coming this month. That is 15 for all NSW not just 1 store.

And for shits a giggles there is a website advertising $2990, but most seem about $3200-3800.

I didnt say anything as you guys were pretty set on Myers having exclusive rights.

All in all thou its a great TV, well i havent seen it but if AV Forums can give a score of reference (that's their highest rating) then that is good enough for me, until OLED comes in but thats another ball game altogether.

Thanks for the heads up on the VT50 Del, i doubt i would of considered it using my usual searching methods.

Delazy
20th June 2012, 04:20 PM
It shouldn't see a price of more than 3499...as that is the Panasonic rrp...

reviews everywhere have been awesome yeh, pretty keen to see but won't have one in my store til September, might load up a USB drive and hit up Sydney city Myer while over for world time attack however

FoldKing86
20th June 2012, 07:36 PM
It shouldn't see a price of more than 3499...as that is the Panasonic rrp...

reviews everywhere have been awesome yeh, pretty keen to see but won't have one in my store til September, might load up a USB drive and hit up Sydney city Myer while over for world time attack however

Again for the sake of a argument the RRP from Panasonic is $3799 for the TH-P55VT50A unless their website hasn't been or needs to be updated.

Source: http://panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA+televisions/Plasma+TVs/TH-P55VT50A/Overview

Delazy
21st June 2012, 03:04 PM

Because I'm a helpful bloke...

Myer are also having 20% off full prices tv's on Saturday meaning if you placed an order, you would be paying $2799...

FoldKing86
21st June 2012, 03:24 PM
Awesome Del cheers

Delazy
21st June 2012, 08:08 PM
no problems champ...

FoldKing86
23rd June 2012, 02:45 PM
With Del's Info and $2879, a nice little VT50A 55" coming Wednesday, and the 65" is only $4399, dam i was so tempted to buy the 65" but couldn't justify the extra cost for 10" more screen size.

Gotta be happy with that :wub:

Delazy
23rd June 2012, 06:16 PM
Glad to see you sorted bloke! Never thought to give you my sales ID so I could get the sale on my figures haha. I'd be pushing my luck to think another sales person would give up a 3k sale to a bloke in another store tho haha! Keep me posted on your thoughts

Big_Car_Killa
25th June 2012, 10:13 AM
Well done mate, you will be happy wih the output if this thing.

Grant is 100% correct. But that doesn't mean Myer won't get almost all available stock. The good guys won't get any, call them when you get yours just to make a point ;) and no arguments from me mate! She's a tricky situation but have no fear, the good guys are kidding themselves if they think they'll get them. It's made things confusing as an exclusive can only be to one store, we are allowing it to be available to a handful of singlular store fronts but mainly Myer so it can't be removed from everyone's price list becuase its not wholey exclusive - our system wont let us.

Hence the reason it still pops up on everyone's price lists leading them to believe they can order it. But they can't.

And in regards to RRP, our website pricing is official RRP. The price on your system lazy is what Myer choose to start selling it at, not our pricing. Use that to your advantage to keep you ASP high. Tell the customer tht they are already getting a discount, of which they are.

Ps: my own 55 arrived last week ;)

Delazy
25th June 2012, 11:26 AM
I noticed that a few times this week actually Paul...

we've got the 50st listed at 1449 and everyone else is hanging around the 1699 mark...

loving the Myer/Panasonic relationship ATM :D :D hope it continues

Delazy
29th June 2012, 11:26 AM

FoldKing86
29th June 2012, 11:46 AM
Got mine on Monday, i was told Wednesday but oh well, havent been home to set it up yet, dam work, after carpet cleaner comes today ill get into it.

Glasses? how many in the box and how do i get more without having to go too eBay.

FoldKing86
1st July 2012, 10:36 AM
Well she is up and running and id have to say setting this thing up was HEAVY, feels twice the weight of the existing 50"

Colours, well i havent fiddled a great deal yet but it heaps darker then i thought, looks to have plenty of adjustment thou. Trying to watch Oceans 13 last night and i was pretty dark, to dark to watch on any of the presetting apart from Dynamic. In a scene towards the end when ol mate watch's the helicopter fly off with the diamond case as he then realized he stole the fakes the red colours where so powerful it killed the scene. for that i was using THX Cinema with no adjustment.

More options and things to fiddle with then i know what to do with. Might get this 1 calibrated me thinks.

The extra little controller is neat and easy to use.

Audio out options i dont like and the position of the HDMI inputs is odd.

My stereo doesn't do 3D and having all the HDMI into the tv then audio out to the amp sucks and doesnt appear to work properly, even with the optical cable.

Time for a new amp me thinks.

So far so good, picture qual is very clear, tv itself is pretty responsive, no real lag for anything.

2D>3D doesnt work very well on some shows but better on others, ill get a 3D movie today and try that.

Delazy
1st July 2012, 11:32 AM
2d > 3d never works well...it's a processed image rather than natural...

I agree it's a heavy sucker tho...

Spent time watching avatar at work and was well and truly impressed with it...

Best image I have in store

FoldKing86
1st July 2012, 01:11 PM
2d > 3d never works well...it's a processed image rather than natural...

I agree it's a heavy sucker tho...

Spent time watching avatar at work and was well and truly impressed with it...

Best image I have in store

Off to get some blue ray 3d type stuff today, free to air tv is the same as before bar a few channels which are pretty clear. Missus and kids cant see he difference but i can. Definitely not as pixelated as before

I tried the THX setup on toy story and needless to say i couldnt get it right.

Big_Car_Killa
2nd July 2012, 02:52 AM
Good to hear mate.

Glasses supplied use a replaceable button battery, and only one comes in the box.

For more eyeware you can use either 2012 Panasonic eyewear or Samsungs SSG-4100GB eyewear also works. Pretty much if it's Bluetooth and from a 2012 panel, it'll probably work on your tv.

Big_Car_Killa
2nd July 2012, 02:57 AM
And I forgot to mention: 2d-3d is a farce.

If you want 3d, just play games or buy a movie. JB shoould have a dedicated section with all the 3d versions of current and old movies. I've been to a few in vic that have them. Makes it easy to find what you want.

Also, the panel is exceptionally lighter this year than it has been in previous years. And then the designers threw on the mother of all glass sheets to the fron to make it prettyt. Viola. Instant 10kg and fat-bastard spec.

FoldKing86
18th August 2012, 10:36 AM
Soooo after about 400hrs of use and a calibration id have to say im pretty darn happy with this VT50, blu ray is so dam clear it isnt funny, almost has a 2.5d look about it, hard to explain but its a darn impressive picture and has a tonne of depth.

Have not fully tried the 3d mode yet but 2d-3d conversion is ok but not great, nor was i expecting it to be, Gran Turismo 5 3d sections are pretty cool thou.

I only have 2 complaints although they are super minor and to be expected.

1* quick moving scenes blur/fall out of focus sometimes but the scene has to be a pretty quick pan to the left or right to see it.
2* Even after calibration the picture still seems alittle to grey/whitish for my liking, i was expecting a more vivid colour scheme but its nothing major.

So if anyone's looking for a larger panel this year the ST50 60" for around $2200 or the 55" VT50 at around $2900 is the way to go. Get that shit pro calibrated for around $250-200 and away you go.

Delazy
18th August 2012, 11:44 AM
Glad your happy bloke...

i still struggle to understand why people are spending upwards of 3.5k on the Samsung/Sony/LG screens when this is cheaper and honestly a much better product...

shows how much "price" dictates quality to most people these days

Big_Car_Killa
18th August 2012, 12:06 PM
Good to hear mate!!!

The 2.5d you speak of is a common comment with this panel, and it's to do with the awesome contrast separating the lights and darks in a scene so well. first hand youve just seen why contrast is so important ;)

Just to explain a few things: the panel won't show any real signs blur as it is too quick In its response, even GT5 has some blur programmed into its output to smooth the image with most things you watch but what you may be looking at is the intelligent frame creation function getting in the way: All movies so far have been shot at 24 frames a second, so naturally to reduce the judder effect the director uses a slow shutter speed and as a cosiquence the scene is shot with some blur. If intelligent frame creation is on it smooths the image further and makes the blur in the film obvious. If you turn it off then it's less noticeable, but then you bring back the judder in the image- which to be honest, is actually how it's meant to be.
if in doubt, pause whatever it Is you are watching if possible, and if the scene is blurry when paused then you know why you can see blurr! :)

For gaming especially, TURN OFF INTELIGENT FRAME CREATION!!!! You will find it under advanced picker settings from memory.

In regards to the white, plasma's clip bright white as part of the way they work, but it has little effect on the actual colour output. Which is why plasma's can generate more colours than any other display tech at this time, and buy some margin.

FoldKing86
18th August 2012, 02:51 PM
Good to hear mate!!!

The 2.5d you speak of is a common comment with this panel, and it's to do with the awesome contrast separating the lights and darks in a scene so well. first hand youve just seen why contrast is so important ;)

Just to explain a few things: the panel won't show any real signs blur as it is too quick In its response, even GT5 has some blur programmed into its output to smooth the image with most things you watch but what you may be looking at is the intelligent frame creation function getting in the way: All movies so far have been shot at 24 frames a second, so naturally to reduce the judder effect the director uses a slow shutter speed and as a cosiquence the scene is shot with some blur. If intelligent frame creation is on it smooths the image further and makes the blur in the film obvious. If you turn it off then it's less noticeable, but then you bring back the judder in the image- which to be honest, is actually how it's meant to be.
if in doubt, pause whatever it Is you are watching if possible, and if the scene is blurry when paused then you know why you can see blurr! :)

For gaming especially, TURN OFF INTELIGENT FRAME CREATION!!!! You will find it under advanced picker settings from memory.

In regards to the white, plasma's clip bright white as part of the way they work, but it has little effect on the actual colour output. Which is why plasma's can generate more colours than any other display tech at this time, and buy some margin.

Cheers Pappa

Not up to spead on light and dark vs contrast type stuff but i notice the panel appears to focus on the for ground and slightly blur the background, giving a more toned and fuller frontal image, well thats the way i see it, wether its just the way it is i dunno but dam it works.

Pretty sure all frame creation/smoting is turn off at the moment, its not a bother to me just something i noticed thats all, Modern Warfare 3 has never looked so good.

So far im super happy with this Panel.

As for $$ being a deciding factor i invite anyone to my house and have a look for themselves.

Silly to pay more for a inferior item, but i guess not everyone googles panel of the yr before shopping.

Funny since i started reading this thread ive been doing a bit of Home theater searching and buying better quality hardware as money allows.

Not everything we see in the shops is quality, not buy a long shot.