PDA

View Full Version : Rally Tyres: AE86 195/60 r15, Do they fit on a standard ride height ae86 without scrubbing?

Patric
13th July 2011, 01:33 PM
195/60 r15 tyres, Do they fit on a standard ride height ae86 without scrubbing?

Normally, I run a 195/50 r15 tyre on an ae86, if I go up a little will it scrub? (surely someone has done this, couldnt find anything searching the forum)

Car is standard factory ride height.

Sam-Q
13th July 2011, 01:45 PM
that's odd I thought I had a tyre fitment thread somewhere, I will have to see if there is one and add it to the technical index or just make one.

Your answer is purely depeandant on your wheel choice. Also I don't think anyone knows the original right height as all of out cars had sagged. Well unless your wheels are completely wrong 195/50s should have lots of room spare

Patric
13th July 2011, 01:50 PM
Sam, I can get those tyres cheap. So it makes economical sence.
Everyone here seem to be track or drifters. So your wheel fitment thread seems to be directed at just those guys hence the question.

Sam-Q
13th July 2011, 01:54 PM
don't get me wrong I wasn't being sarcastic I was litterally in my technical index looking for where the link was and found it missing, could of missed it though.

a 195/50/15 is a near on ideal size for an 86 which the same outside diameter as stock and a great balance between roll, straight line grip and probably no "tram-lining"

I would like to get some of these myself

AJPS
13th July 2011, 03:50 PM
195/60 is too big for an 86 for rally in my opinion

the larger than average rolling diameter makes it feel slow

and it allows for less articulation

stick with 14s

i also think 195 is a bit wide for dirt

Patric
14th July 2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the technical input lads. It's good for those who technically want to know the reasons why to us 50 profile r15 tyres on an ae86.
However for us budget racers who will use what we can get.
The question still stands, regardless of the technical issues rolling diameter, Will a tyre 195/60 r15 work under a stock ride height sprinter without scrubbing? (using best possible wheel choice)
If the answer is I dont know, thats fine but I am sure someone here has done this before to save me the hassle of trial fitting a finding out.

Sam-Q
14th July 2011, 11:14 AM
Ah I see I saw 195/50 instead of 195/60, now while I have not tried it I do know that that people are running some massive rubber without issues and what your suggesting is only a little wider and bigger in diameter than original. I would be very surprised if you had an problems at all even with unmodified gaurds.

I also understand the need for a budget supply of consumables, I figure it's better to make a compromise sometimes than to not be able to do something at all.

Slimer86
26th October 2011, 06:48 PM
Bump.
Don't want to start a new thread, and see mention of Std ride height, so.

Can some one please measure the brow height on the front and rear of their AE86 for me please?
I measured 400mm on the front and 360mm on the rear.
Appears as though my front springs are wrong.
Thanks.