PDA

View Full Version : 3 piece rim seals !! mine dont hold air

shaunpierre
22nd August 2011, 10:38 PM
ok well recetly got me some volk rays mesh and dont hold air.. was told they do but no biggy

there a 3 piece design and the previous owner had pulled them apart to paint them.. and put back to gether with silicon :thumbup: now dont hold air fml

they also have screw driver marks all along the seal were the barrel and dish side meet

just want to know what people have used in the past.. i have gasket glue i was planing to use after i try smooth out the gashes ect out or is there a particular sealant or gasket i should use??

thanks guys :)

Hachi_Tom
22nd August 2011, 11:12 PM
i used silicon, then put tape over the silicon to stop water from getting at the silicon, duck tape.

worked fine

or you could weld it.

turn69up
22nd August 2011, 11:16 PM
Serial? The two lips should be weilded togther only the center is bolted in and mabe a bit of polyurathane sikaflex around the weild

Sam-Q
23rd August 2011, 12:11 AM
even with a weld a simple bead of silicone

kaibeecee
24th August 2011, 04:40 PM
no welding.

use sikaflex, cut the nozzle halfway down and flatten the end with pliers so its a long, wide nozzle. run thick bead along seam. get latex gloves (or bare hands, whatever) and dip finger in water. smooth sikaflex while gently pushing into seal. let dry for 30mins. come back and layer over with another bead and do the same.

check all bolts are torqued EQUALLY using a torque wrench. some don't and i've had a wheel leak because of one side being tight and the other being loose.

slydar
24th August 2011, 06:28 PM
you can use any silicon sealer. the trick to it is to put a small amount of sealant in between halves. i.e you have to do it during assembly. just the very outer edge should have some in there, right where the 2 radiused edges meet. you do not want a lot silicon between the rim halves, they should be butted up hard metal on metal almost all of the way. you just want sealent on the very edge.

shaunpierre
25th August 2011, 01:11 AM
sweet silicon it is then.. i hate silicon >:( will post up how i go after week end. thanks guys :)

shaunpierre
5th September 2011, 10:39 PM
sweet soz for late update.. been bizy as, i pulled them apart clean all silicon and hammered down all the high spots created from screw driver (previouse owner) and a light sand, got new nylon nuts and used gasket glue.. worked a treat im rollin on my 8's with 185's ahah thanks heaps guys

keiichi
15th October 2011, 02:07 AM
i used sikaflex on some 3piece works, no stuffing around just run a thick bead and flatten it out with something, done.