PDA

View Full Version : Wideband lambda

Slimer86
23rd August 2011, 11:10 PM
Hi all, I am after thoughts, experiences from people who run a wide band meter/controller.
Brand and model.
Sensor make and model.
Reliability?
Links.
What you use it for? Tuning only, closed loop etc.
If you use 2 different manufacturers products, was there any calibration issues? (Eg: Autronic and LC-1)

Ok, I have seen a user on here with the innovate lc-1 and adaptronic.
I will be running MoTeC m48, with an aux input for wide band,akin to running a plm.
I was looking at unlocking lambda function,but at the cost of unlock and inferior lsm Bosch sensor,it seems better to use aftermarket lambda contoller and a Bosch LSU or NTK UEGO sensor .
Options so far, Innovate lc-1, tech edge DIY kit with display.

I have searched the net,and found both these products used readily.
If I had deep pockets,my option would solely be the plm.
Thanks.

Skylar
26th August 2011, 04:53 PM
Dunno why but everyone says get a NGK/NTK AFX meter. They're 300 or so from airfuelratio.com and it's the only "cheap" (as in sub $1k wideband) product he sells, no tech-edge, no innovate, etc. Guy does his own testing and says it's the best "cheap" thing on the market.

Nikkojoe has a lc-1, which is handy for him as it communicates to adaptronic via the serial port. I bought a MTX-L as it's much more compact and I don't need the serial to interface with my megasquirt.

As for purpose, I'll leave mine hooked up as the megasquirt has an AFR variance map so if my AFR goes X away from the target AFR, it'll do something, go into limp mode, maybe throw a light? Maybe I can just leave it closed loop all the time but I haven't looked into that yet.

You seen the wideband shootout:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/FM_WB_Shootout.pdf
and
http://www.zeitronix.com/press/WBshootout5-1024.jpg
http://www.zeitronix.com/press/WBshootout2-1024.jpg

Anthony
27th August 2011, 12:54 AM
Pity that test didnt include a tech edge. Ive always found them to be good, and some of the datalogging and reverse mapping features of the upper models is very useful. Being able to log boost vs. fuel pressure for instance (with the right sensors) can be a very handy diagnosis tool. It also has a serial datastream which the Adaptronic (and possibly others) can read.

Slimer86
4th September 2011, 11:47 PM
I have done a little more searching around, and found a thread arguing that the Innovate shootout for Ford Muscle mag had multiple errors.
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=580390#post580390 Bottom of page letter from Zeitronix.

So, now not too sure.
Zeitronix, TechEdge, or NGK Afx (doesn't appear to have analogue output programmed or voltage alteration; fixed 0-5v)

takai
5th September 2011, 05:41 PM
I have an LC1. Works a treat. Only disadvantage is that the sensor cable is quite short. Ive just drilled a hole in my floorpan to get around that.

Skylar
7th September 2011, 02:40 PM
Is there anything wrong with fixed 0-5v(9-16:1 AFR) on the AFX? It's a motec, can't you just program that in?

takai, you logging to ecu? through analog or serial? Does the gauge show the same number as ecu software shows as wb02?

Slimer86
7th September 2011, 04:15 PM
0-5v cannot be used from my understanding. The m48 can have full wideband option enabled for ~$330 but if only using 0-1v input you can enable narrow band (how the MoTeC plm communicates),and re-program the linear offset without having to enable the feature.
That way you can still tune with quick lambda too.

Skylar
7th September 2011, 08:48 PM
ok. say for the 0-1v, can you program the motec to take 9:1 as 0v and 16:1 as 1v or does by 0-1v, do you mean narrowband only?

You can buy two resistors and make a voltage divider to convert the linear 0-5v to a linear 0-1v.

PS. sell it and get a megasquirt. :P

Slimer86
7th September 2011, 10:50 PM
I had a look on the Zeitronix website and all I need is 2 resitors 3.8 and 1.1 between the 2 lambda output wires.

Because the M48 was based on the Bosch LSM sensor (accurate narrow band essentially) you cannot use the later generation 5 wire sensors.
The wide band can only read between 0.75 - 1.2 Lambda.