PDA

View Full Version : Closest I'll ever get to an 86 =)

MarcusEstevez
29th August 2011, 11:35 PM
Joined this forum a couple days ago, I'm a massive fan of 86's But will probably never get my hands on one =P

I thought I'd Post my car up here anyways.

So.... Here is my RA40, Now I know these arn't the most popular car, let alone Celica, around >__> But I really like them, hence why I have three of them.

Here's some Pics, Spent the whole weekend Repainting all the black Trim and grill. And Cut, Polish, Turtle wax... all by hand. Tyre shine on the rubber bumpers, cut the cannon off and welded a nice exhaust on, quieter now though which sucks... I liked my obnoxiously annoying loud car. Tinted tail lights about a month ago. currently building a new engine.

That'll do for now =)

macca1590
2nd September 2011, 09:41 PM
minty as, vote 1 wild 18rg

eightsixboy
3rd September 2011, 01:12 PM
looks nice, dont worry the ra 40's will prob be just as popular once all the ae86's have been stacked haha.

+1 for 18rg.

MarcusEstevez
3rd September 2011, 05:05 PM
Hope I can get my hands on an 86 before they'r all trashed then =P

18rg, hell yes! But at the moment I'm building an 18rc to chuck in, and taking the w50 5speed out of the other RA40... It'll be awhile until I get an 18rg. That and once my Celica is built I'm starting work on my Valiant VG Coupe.

eightsixboy
3rd September 2011, 06:30 PM
The main prob is trying to find an 86 that hasnt got the takumi tax lol.

The celicas are underated big time, ive been in an 18rg powered ra23 and it was alot quicker then my old 4ag powered 86.

Jacobxxx
3rd September 2011, 07:05 PM
Steering box is the only let down since most people want to drift them ;)

Looks tidy!

MarcusEstevez
3rd September 2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah I'v heard those engines fly. I might postponed the Valiant and hunt for an 18rg =P

Nah I won't be drifting, I wanna drag commodores XD I'm Sick of them cruising around with Chevy badges on them thinking they are top shit.

ivandude
6th September 2011, 12:51 PM
These RA40 models are on of my fav's too. Old man had one, so I've got a soft spot for it.

That and knowing these cars will be going up eventually. They were very legendary in the late 70's Bathursts and that's what got the 18RG noticed a lot in Australia. No V8 bombadore wanted to put camera-equipment for TV shw purposes as their cars were too heavy, so the Peter Williamson RA40 decided to take it on and it was a hit, made the car popular.

I doubt a 18RG could take on a new Commodore or modern-6-cyl. If you want power your options are to go:
xJZ-GE/GTE: N/A models would balance the car nicely...
1G-GTE: Lot of info on these, they are apparently a very easy swap it's been done a lot.
3T-GTE: Late 70's/80's Turbo variant engine that were found in top of the line RA40/RA60's in Celicas, Carinas, Corona's etc. If you find one of these engines you'll deff need to rebuild it.
18-RG: Enjoy it for what it is, or if you want it fast work the hell out of it. They are nice on the throttle and will sound boss, but will need a lot of money to go faster than a stock new Commo imo.
18RGTE: Lots of reading to be done on ToyMods if you go this route...

If it was me, I'd enjoy this car keeping it clean and healthy, go cruising and keep a good stereo & exhaust system to enjoy it. And try not to burn holes in my pockets with its fuel consumption hehe.

Do a red & white japanese rising sun symbol on your roof :D :D

MarcusEstevez
6th September 2011, 04:37 PM
Wow you think just like me, Japanese symbol for the win XD I was thinking bonnet, but roof is more awesome, I'd have the Japanese General Lee =P I shall call it, MiniLee.

Yeah I'm thinking of just keeping it as is, Fresh engine though, I'm building an 18RC for it at the moment, 32/36 Weber (Which I'm having trouble installing) Extractors =P Fun fun.
Oh latest mod: Put series one Lights on my series two RA40. Looks good.