PDA

View Full Version : Nichys slow Ke70 build

nichy
30th August 2011, 08:35 PM
Hi all. never really though i would end up doing to much to the ke when i got it so didn't start a build thread. so i gave a quick write-up a go in word and will transfer it over... then just list whats in it after and plans. so

The ke 70 build

Hey Guys , been meaning to write a project thread for a while but nothing really happend all too quick so never really bothered.... but its come to a time where its got enough shit to warrant a build thread 

So I have a Red 84’ Ke70 Corolla that I brought around 2.5-3 years ago for $1000.00 regoed with a fucked starter and lights that only worked when you indicated left.... lol . reason for purchase was centerlink just gave me a grand and I was moving from Hobart to Launceston and needed a car ( no license at the time ) to move.

Kevin ( the KE ) was Dead stock in every way and needed some love around the body.... but drove well and motor was strong as an ox and smooth. Thing would pull till redline hard.

After getting it to the new house and having to wait a month or 2 to get my license back I thought I better fix a few things . replaced starter and alto as required and gave the car a full service. Now been able to start with out roll-starting and running like a champ she was ready to drive.

Got license back and started to drive the KE more. Got very tired of the massive amount of body roll making me sea sick and needed to do something on the cheap to fix it..... CHOPPED springs. Replaced rears with R31 front and chopped all round. Painted stockies black again and I had a DUMPED KE that handled 30x better haha .

Reaplced Gear box with 5 speed straight up as 4 speeds are the gay!
Next Purchase was a 9’ disc style filter from Bursons , sounds sick and pulled harder for sure and a ‘some brand’ front strut brace I swapped for an old ipod haha Strut brace makes a huge difference and made it easier to fishy in the wet.
Found some Ke55 lower control arms for sale so picked them up and put them in, gave around 2-deg of camber and a small amount of track but was great and changed the car again.
Few months past and I was looking for some wheels .... mate was trying to sell his Ke70 Wag’s and have 14 x 6.5 & 14 x 7 inch full black wantanabe’s on his bus..... I had wanted them since I saw them. Tax had just come though so I hit him up and got them for a Good price seeming they were in shit condition and tires were fucked... but I had wantan’s BRO wooooo!!!!! Haha
So after getting some wider (no wide) wheels I found it harder to slide around in the wet...... so I thought I better lock my diff like a BOsS. So did just that. Now I can see every single possible good reason about having a locker.... and I loved having one.... but to be serious the good things do not over power the bad.... I would not ever have one again.. they push your front end around so badly its rather slide round every corner , chrip wheels or understeer.
Gave the diff a hard time , broke a weld and wasn’t locked for about a day.... made a loud bang and locked back up , was odd. Didn’t last to long as I was heading on the highwy to Hobart and she went BANG at around 110km nd locked solid. Haha was fun but the misses hated it 
Replaced Diff centre with new centre as diff I brought was for a wago without thinking so casting would not fit. Drove on this for around 3-4 months and it blew another one!!!! Not happy Jan. Was shit because this happened half was between Hobart and Launceston on the midlands highway at around 8pm at night. Not Cool. So car spend the night out in the dark was we could not tow it.
Returned the next day and got it on the trailer and took to to parants place in Hobart, Went and retrieved a new diff.... again.
Lost license again..... Devoed.

Wheels got stolen.......didn;t have for ages.... got them back.... cant be fucked with the story... think It fit’s in here lol
Got license back
Brough some Flaired front guards ( red woo) for $40 bucks and fitted them up..... looked gay as aids with the fitment. So brought some 25mm bolt on’s for sickness haha . looked heaps good 
Fit new diff and drove home ( shit weeked )... diff was noisy as fuck. Was not happy. Kept driving around for a few months waiting for it to blow while looking for a t-series Diff. Diff blew on the Friday night my New tailshaft and Diff were been picked up  so that was very lucky and handy..... was sick for been towed though haha
Had no trouble fitting T-series as everything does bolt in and its great. Got everything in and went for a drive to hear a constant knocking noise that got faster as I did.... Not happy at All... was starting to get sick of the piece of shit and was ready to sell it .
Got to have a look at it at work and found that all crown wheel bolts were a touch loose and one had made its was out and was knocking on the casing. Fixed this and Diff was Spot on.
Nothing much happened for a while just drove the beast around and did what we do..... then I came into a little more money at work 
So I purchased some Serria shocks and fitted some k-mac sigma rear springs I scored for free off a mate in the rear to firm it up .... short stroke made heaps of difference too.
Left it for a while them figured to get coilover in the future im going to have to upgrade struts. Found some Rt-142 corona Struts and brakes + steering arms for cheap so brought them and fitted them up. Had Epic amounts of issues with wheel alighnment after these were fitted due to the fact that even though I had ke55 arms it still put a small amount of positive camber on the thing.... which fucked everything... but it was heaps better suspension wise and brakes were a big improvement. So To get the right amount of camber I had to find some sigma arms.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................yu p....................still looking lol

6 or so Months past april (2011) my birthday was coming up and I had some money saved.... so I purchaced a hsd sleeve coil over kit and some st154 ? front struts. Had these made up and after reading everything I had I am surprised if 1 persons is done correctly. If many parts didn;t have to go machined on a laith then they are dodgy and don’t fit 100%. They are shit to do lol

Got them in and lowered the fuck out of it even more and it was sweet..... was loving it
Then I came about some sigma arms for cheap which didn;t care how much they were I found a set haha !!!!! was were happy. Got them and they were mint so gave them a new coat of paint and got them in.... Once again... Wheel alignment issues. Went to the wheel alignment place ( I work there on weekends) and sat though it with the wheel aligner and got it sorted .... thank god .

So car now was stiff as fuck int he front end and rear .... and had some camber which was sick......
Got Gk-tech steering wheel for birthday as well and that is rad. Have not done too much more with it ATM.... Got new 175/60-14 on the rear and 165/60-14 on the front for clearance issues and it looks fat haha ....Also am waiting on some bits from T3 inc
Roll centre adjuster’s , Steering arms , Camber plates and kit. Also have a reco’d 4age BP bottem end and am about to get my recoed head back from the machinest 
Its happening slowly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways thats coming on 3 years since i have owned it .

Mods

9' Disc air filter
Unknown brand front strut brace
14x7 - 14x6.5 Watan's wrappedin R 175/60-14 and F 165/60-14
Hsd Coilover kit (7kg) On RT142 Base + st145 kyb inserts
T3 Camber Top's + Top Hat/w Bearing
T3 RCA's
T3 Steering arms
T3 rose joint tie rod end
RA60 rack ends ( 30mm longer )
Sigma lower control arms
Home made 2inch exhaust ( 1/2 from e92 325I ) rest from a new mini :)
T-18 Diff and t-18 s1 t/shaft (drum to drum :( )
25mm spacers front and rear
E92 2010 M3 Rear Springs MADE to fit ( hahaha )
Gk-tech Steering wheel
5-speed ke box

think thats about it.

Plans

Bp 4age w/ST20v quads - Head is reco'd and sitting at home and bottom end is waiting to go together.... in no rush
bigger wantans lol
lsd and disc rear end the t-series

and i think thats about it for now.

pics to come

nichy
30th August 2011, 09:15 PM
21098211072109921108211002110921101211022111021111 21112211132111421115211162111721118211192112021121 21103211222112321124211252112621127211282112921130 21131211322113321134211352113621137

nichy
30th August 2011, 09:23 PM
21138211392114021141211422114321144211452114621147 21148211492115021151211522115321154211552115621157 21158211592116021161211622116321164211652116621167 2116821169211702117121172

nichy
30th August 2011, 09:24 PM
have to take some recent ones after the front sussy completion. but dont have a camera ATM.

maxhag
31st August 2011, 05:01 AM
cool man, Funny you called it Kevin.
My one is called Kevo......

nichy
23rd May 2012, 10:43 AM
Time for an update i guess.... have forgoten about it .

so took the ke off the road after buying a flat front ke for $300.00 to drive around in SCORE! started stripping the inside and moved my wheels over ect to the silver one.

decided to leave the red one for a bit and get the silver ke up to scratch so it was nice to drive around. the car help rev's oddly and had a stupid miss at idle i could not fix.... so i decided to change the carby for a good stock one that i know was ok . while doing this i managed to drop a washer in the intake manifold ( unknown ) and fit everything back up and start the car.... bang bang bang switched her off and went... FUCK haha .
removed the head (sat morning) and found the washer all beaten up in no.4 . got it out and checked condition of the cyl ect. everything was a- ok. but didn't have a head gasket.
the over night engine swap started.
pulled the engine out of the red ke and stayed up all night in the shed ( just big enough due to all the shit in it) swapped it all over and turned the key..... started first go :) woooo

so now the red ke is going to get ripped into as the enigne in the silver ke is a mint 4k that runs like a dream and pulls to redline hard so im more than happy with it now .

so red ke is getting everything out and start to sand the car and bay for paint and 4age mods.

cant write updates for shit so im sorry.... but a little bored.. haha

also scored some mint new custom rods and pistons for my 4age and going turbo not n/a now

slowKeto
23rd May 2012, 03:34 PM
What offset are ur watanabes?

nichy
28th May 2012, 04:50 PM
to be honest i dont know know as they do not say. and have never worked it out as they fit or they dont lol.
they have 25mm spacers all round with a fair bit of guard work and front sit nice.... but rear's . and have got low profile for 14inch tyres on there for clearance issue to run super low.

but without spacers and no guard work they fit easy.

want some 14x9's :(

vehicle get put in the shed and started on more tonight so will try update more

nichy
14th June 2012, 10:53 AM
car is in shed and pretty much stripped . engine out , interia out and guards and front end off ect.

HAVE STARTED WORKING ON IT .... but dont really have a plan though out of where to start.... so bits of everything.

will have new pistons and rods paid off next week so block can go to machine shop and get that bit started too . :)

new pistons + rods compared to stock

Skid_KE70
17th October 2012, 02:15 PM
get some updates going yo

joeschmo_57
17th October 2012, 11:34 PM
yeah