PDA

View Full Version : Diff upgrade

GEMTA22
25th May 2009, 10:59 PM
I've bought a t-18 diff and tailshaft and a brand new lsd centre kaaz 2 way lsd.

Want to install the diff with the lsd, but also want to do the rear drums and what else that needs doing at the same time. Unsure what else is required with the diff installation costs and prices ill be forking out.

Also after a good diff place in Sydney, to get the work done.

Whats your opinions ? Its going in a ae86.

Thanks heaps

sundee
26th May 2009, 02:27 PM
T18 bolts straight in .. i think one series needs sway bar mounts jiged or something like that, never used em but Diff Technics are meant to be good. if u have the right LSD center it should only cost a few hundred to get it installed and setup.

but if u do a search there is some info around on it. someone will be able to confirm if their is a differnce in T18 rears. re sway bar etc

redsprinter
26th May 2009, 02:49 PM
hi mate .

t-18 diff came with and without sway bars. the swaybar is the one you want .. just cheaper in the long run .

as long as the diff centre is the right model ie zenki diff with zenki axle you should be fine.

might want to change the wheel bearing while your at it . for the drums maybe new drum brake cylinders and a set of new shoes .

Golberg
26th May 2009, 09:27 PM
I'd change all the wheel bearings, new drums, new shoes, and at least rebuild the brake cylinders if not replace them. And of course all new seals too.

Its probably not the most awesome idea to get it put straight in using original T18 gears, because they are only 3.9 ratio. I'd go for atleast 4.1 or 4.3 in a street car. Higher for a track car.

GEMTA22
30th May 2009, 10:04 PM
How much will wheel bearings, new drums, new shoes, new brake cylinders and 4.1 gear ratio cost ? Plus installation of the diff aswell.

I have spent $1300 for the Kaaz 2 way lsd centre was hoping to get the diff all setup and running nothing to worry about for under 2k.

Will the diff place also do the brakes aswell?

Golberg
31st May 2009, 03:46 PM
I don't see why a diff place wouldn't do the brakes.

In terms of parts I'd say its doable for 2G all up. But including labor for somebody else to put it all together then you may push it a little over that. It also depends what you want out of a 4.1 ratio gear set. Because most of them out there will have done a lot of K's and will more than likely whine on you. In saying that though, buy a brand new gearset will demolish your budget. But then again, a good diff shop should be able to setup your gears well enough that they don't whine too badly. So I'd personally say, look around some wrecking yards, look for cars will low k's and try pick up a good centre.

Just check on the build plates of old celica's and the like for the axle code "T292" because that a T series 4.1 code.

OMG866
2nd June 2009, 08:46 PM
diff technics at rockdale will sort you out..

look them up. they did a great job on my old diff. fairly reasonable price wise

GL