PDA

View Full Version : Modifying wheels.

odessy
11th September 2011, 05:52 PM
Been looking at my options for a new set of wheels and the idea of flipping the centre's came up. However not quite sure I want to go this route as the affective offset is going to be quite a lot more negative than I first thought. Wheels are 14x6 and they are either a +10 or +16 offset (Can't read the stamp properly). Since the mounting points sits further inside than where the centre bolts to the barrell I am affectively going to end up with somewhere around a -20 offset. Enough on this until I can locate a tape measure and work this out. Would this be unsafe and is it as simple as unbolting, flipping, rebolting?

I wouldn't mind flipping to see what I get if its this simple.

On the other hand I had considered getting a new outer lip made. Anyone know approximately how much this costs and anyone who could do it in brisbane/gc? Would want to get an extra inch to or two.

Also 3 piece vs 2 piece wheels, 3 piece wheels consist of out lip, inside lip and centre where as 2 piece consist of inside lip and the centre/outside lip are the other piece?

johl
11th September 2011, 06:32 PM
IMO a 6J wheel will look terrible flipped. You need width along with negative offset to look good.

I have widened my wheels and in all honesty it is almost the same price as getting new wheels once you factor in the initial price of the wheel, new outer, bolts, silicone and buffing/polishing. And then you have to find someone willing to do it which is hard but not impossible

odessy
11th September 2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah flipping was more going to be a quick fix until I sorted something else out. How much did you pay to get a new outer and do you remember where you got it done? Someone suggested Dr wheels on the coast.

johl
11th September 2011, 07:36 PM
yeh that is who i used but it took ages and they are not as good as the new outer that was used on my rears. you can get brand new complete barrels instead of outers for around $360 from an engineering shop down the coast but i cant remember the name of the shop. its in the same row of buildings as raceline if that helps

odessy
11th September 2011, 07:57 PM
$360 per wheel, pair, set?

johl
11th September 2011, 08:19 PM
Per individual barrel. Add onto that the centre you will be using, you may have to machine it down a few mm then assembly costs. Not cheap. You could be looking at 500 per wheel. Brand new work meisters are about 550 per wheel for large sizes and work 01/03 are even cheaper

odessy
11th September 2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah I thought it would be expensive, definately not worth it lol.

blair
12th September 2011, 10:19 PM
It's hardly expensive if you do it yourself. PM me if you wish