PDA

View Full Version : VIC: places to get my MA61 rims sexy again

kerola
10th October 2011, 09:49 PM
Bought a set of MA61s a while ago that have been spray painted black and i want to get them back to the sexy black inserts and polish finish
can anyone recommend somewhere in Melbourne that will:
1. blast/ dip the paint off to bare alloy
2. paint the inserts black
3. polish them to mirror(ish) finish again

or any better ways to do it?
any help much appreciated
nathan

shift_rook
10th October 2011, 09:53 PM
just did mine yesterday actually, tape up the inner lines with tape first, coat the rim in paint remover, i just used the accent variety, had to apply about 3 times, use a metal dish scourer in between applications to scrape the peeled paint off. Then you can purchase a little drill attachment(providing you already have a drill) that you can use to polish the rim. you can just use aautosol. haven't been to a rim place i'd happily reccomend, if you can't be botherered doing it yourself maybe throw up a thread in the melbourne section enquiring

kerola
10th October 2011, 09:59 PM
yeah if its that 'easy' then ill give it a shot.
how much paint stripper you use?
how long did it take?
and you didn't repaint the inserts im guessing?

stahlz_ae86
10th October 2011, 10:12 PM
My local chrome plating place acid dipped a set of alloys for me at $40 per wheel. A bit expensive but I've restored my set of MA's by hand and wouldn't do it again.

kerola
10th October 2011, 10:43 PM
Why wouldn't you do it again?
Did you use a drill polishing wheel like shift rook or polish by hand?

stahlz_ae86
10th October 2011, 10:52 PM
The calico polishing wheel on a drill with green rouge is the easy part. I meant the hand stripping. I was happy to pay the chrome plating place $160 to strip all the clear coat for me in their acid bath. I got them to do my 14 inch XT130 XX alloys.

kerola
11th October 2011, 07:45 AM
Ah ok, well I'll give it a shot paint stripping and if I CBF I'll go get them acid washed
Thanks for the info