PDA

View Full Version : Crowie's lowdown ke38 wagon

Crowie55
19th November 2011, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, been lurking here for a while now but never posted so I though I may as well introduce myself and my ride, Name is Crowie and this is my ke38 wagon. I'm always keen for a cruise or spirited run so just hit me up.

I originally bought this car for daily duties after having my ke55 coupe stolen and having no way of getting to work while I waited for my Insurance claim to clear. $650 and I was mobile again. Little did I know buy this little daily would soon grow on me and another project would begin.

1981 ke38 wagon – quite possibly the ugliest model and shape of all the ke corolla’s. These things are almost like a forgotten middle child, hiding in the shadows of the beautiful ke20 and the very popular ke70 shitcans. I’ve only ever come across a couple of photo’s of one done up somewhere overseas and that’s it. Something a little different to the usual... just what I like.

To make things worse it was an update version, square lights, high-rise bonnet, rubber capped bars ect. 4 speed manual, baby blue interior, whiny diff, no stereo, leaking exhaust, 417,xxxkm on the clock and a healthy amount of rust and dints.

After purchasing I decided to make it look half respectable by buying some wheels and fixing the rear guards that were falling apart due to rust. Oh O- rust was worse than I thought and my wheels were too wide at the back. It was at this moment that the corolla bug bit.

Ke70 front guards were welded onto the rear and the stoc... sorry... bog guards were cracked off, I decided that rolling in a red brick was not my style and plans were set in motion for a respray.

Over a few months I saved me pennies like all good boys do and waited for the perfect deals to come up. Snapped up a tailgate from sunshine coast and drove up and picked it up, some guards and a ke30 import bonnet (chrome vent inserts) a bit closer to home, driver front and rear and passenger rear doors from my first car.

I had to remove the window frames from the rear doors on the car and transfer them to the replacement doors that came off my sedan to make the swap viable, there were literally 1-2kg’s of bog in each door that came on the car.

Resprayed in Toyota’s peak white for a fresh look and tried to get as many dints out as possible... I didn’t fair too well.

Installed some ke30 chrome bars and modified the mounting bracket on the rear to get the bar as close to the body as possible. Flipped the rear leaves and added a couple, replaced the whiney diff, upgraded the whole front suspension and brakes to xt130 struts, hubs and bearings, ra60 rotors, mx63 calipers and st204 inserts with a 5kg coilover sleeve kit. N14 pulsar brake master and Mitsubishi pajero master cyl. Sigma LCA’s, AJPS RCA’s, Generic 2” sports exhaust. Changed it to a 5 speed manual box.

Picked up some silvia seats and replaced the stock ones, and bought some mint black door cards to go with them. Removed the back seats, installed some black carpet, black boot cards, and an under dash amp and aftermarket speakers behind the stock cards that hook straight up to an Ipod for the stealthyness. Genuine nardi wood classic, horn button and a nice wooden shifter that a mate knocked up for a school assessment. Got a mint dash pad and put it in, Modified centre console with 3x 52mm pods to keep an eye on temps ect.

Just got my pair of wheels back they were 14x6 +10 now 14x9 -22 to fill out the rear guards. Saving up some coin now for a larger motor and diff in the future.

There are probably a million other things I’ve missed too but meh.

Cheers, Crowie

sam2306
20th November 2011, 12:35 AM
look's cool man

kyle unwin
20th November 2011, 11:28 AM
Loving the wheels. argh.

Crowie55
20th November 2011, 05:21 PM
look's cool man
Cheers man

Loving the wheels. argh.
haha be jelly kyle.

Crowie55
20th November 2011, 10:02 PM
22923Sneaky shot from today

declan
20th November 2011, 11:33 PM
this is cool, shame to hear about the coupe, they're a gorgeous car
not really a fan of silvia seats, stock seats or a bride brix for driver would be cool
how much did the wheels cost to do?

4DRFRK
21st November 2011, 12:08 AM
This is the hot ... you are the hot, Kyles thread is dead to me

starni_boy
21st November 2011, 06:28 AM
Fucken sick!

Crowie55
21st November 2011, 04:56 PM
this is cool, shame to hear about the coupe, they're a gorgeous car
not really a fan of silvia seats, stock seats or a bride brix for driver would be cool
how much did the wheels cost to do?
The stock seats were rooted to say the least when I got it, wire was hanging out everywhere and heaps of foam was misssing. Picked up the silvia seats for $50 and bolted them in as it's pretty hard to find good condition stock seats for cheap. And I couldn't justify spending double what I paid for the car on a bride haha.

I imported the wheels myself, and got a pair widened (from 14x6 to 14x9) at Dr Wheels on the Gold Coast for $460.

This is the hot ... you are the hot, Kyles thread is dead to me
haha you'll like what I have coming next. Don't be so hard on Kyle he's only a little fella

Fucken sick!
Cheers man (Y)

declan
24th November 2011, 03:06 PM
460 each or for the pair? if for the pair then fuck me that's cheap... does he widen to any width/specs you want?

Crowie55
24th November 2011, 06:03 PM
460 each or for the pair? if for the pair then fuck me that's cheap... does he widen to any width/specs you want?
$460 for a pair mate, that was just for the outside lips not the inside. $150 per lip and $25 polishing fee + $55 ea to fit them.

4DRFRK
25th November 2011, 11:09 AM
haha you'll like what I have coming next. Don't be so hard on Kyle he's only a little fella

Cheers man (Y)

OH TEXT ME TELL ME... You are not going to like what i bought to replace the commodore

Crowie55
6th December 2011, 10:29 PM
Picked up a Bigport for the Wags on the weekend:P Reading as much as I can about the conversion before I jump into it, Package I was sold was missing a few things although I'd rather pay a little extra for new parts than be left on the side of the road trusting some guys word.

Anywho; it's going to be a great learning curve and I'm pumped to start work. If anyone has some good tips or advice, parts listed in my wanted to buy thread or "been there before stories" please dont hesitate to drop me a pm or reply in this thread.
Cheers, Crowie.

joeschmo_57
10th December 2011, 08:53 PM
the bigport will transform the car.

the pedal box will be a mission. keep us updated man

Crowie55
10th December 2011, 09:25 PM
I was hoping to use an ae71 slave cyl set up and dremel out a shaft hole in the existing pedal box plate and modify the length of the shaft to suit, quite a similar job to fitting up the n14 pulsar booster I did a few months back... hopefully.
Have you had any experience with modifying these pedal boxes?
cheers Crowie.

joeschmo_57
19th December 2011, 12:36 AM
nope.
i did the "hay man, you have done it before. do it again for some beer" trick.
basically meant i drank and held things while he drilled through the fire wall and put clutch lines in. But that was in a ke70 and it was still fiddly.
there are dudes that have done it in e3's etc, find them and torture them for their secrets.

joeschmo_57
19th December 2011, 12:37 AM
and i in no way mean to de-motivate you. get in there with a drill and a grinder son!!!!

Crowie55
19th December 2011, 04:50 PM
and i in no way mean to de-motivate you. get in there with a drill and a grinder son!!!!
oh don't worry the motivation is there, i will gladly grind and drill her open to get the clutch working. The few ke3X owners I've spoken to in qld all have the pedal box from whatever car they got their replacement engine from, silvia ect and apparently it's a little bit of work to get them in there. I'd rather just keep the stock pedal box and convert it to a push mechanism seems simple enough and I'm pretty confident in my ability to work it out.
cheers, Crowie

4DRFRK
3rd January 2012, 11:51 AM
i hear good things are happening in the test fit car ... enlighten us all

Chillin
3rd January 2012, 08:37 PM
All will be revealed in good time young sir, unless you want to pop over.........

4DRFRK
3rd January 2012, 10:56 PM
ill be over on the 13th

Crowie55
3rd January 2012, 11:19 PM
wear your nicest smelly stuff and bring your strongest alcohol shit's going to get messy. still acquiring parts to do the conversion, put my boat up for sale today so hopefully that sells quick so I can buy a daily moto and finish off the tampon