PDA

View Full Version : ae101

adelk
25th November 2011, 11:20 PM
boys and girls.

ive bought a 20v silvertop to replace my 4a fe on my seca. do i need new engine mounts ?
and think i do but might ask a new gear box . ?

Slimer86
26th November 2011, 08:35 AM
Ah, wrong area to post thead.
2nd, this is a RWD 4a community, and majority don't own a fwd corolla.

However, if it was originally 4afe, then mounts are the same on the front and rear.
Change them if they are cracked.
Especially the back one near the fire wall.
If you don't have the under-transmission mount from an AE92 sx/gti I suggest getting one too, and it bolts to the crossmember and gearbox.

The drivers side mount requires modification to clear the upper timing cover of the 20v.
Essentially, just grind a notch out of it, when you have the engine and mount in you're hands, you will understand what I mean.

Transmission mount on the passenger side is the original one from the 4AFE.

For more concise information largely oriented around the FWD platform, I recommend that you look at twincam.org, as this conversion is covered to some extent.

Before you put the engine in, change the fuel filter, and make sure that you get the half shaft (driveshaft section from gearbox) which bolts along the block to the drivers side.
Also, this shaft has to be from a manual if you are using a manual gearbox, as the auto shaft is different length and won't fit.

Hope this helps.

adelk
27th November 2011, 07:36 AM
sorry mate my bad. but this a rear wheel drive question. ive just bought a ae71. how much do u think that wil cost to convert ? to a 4age

Matt
27th November 2011, 09:07 AM
Ah, wrong area to post thead.
2nd, this is a RWD 4a community, and majority don't own a fwd corolla.

The drivers side mount requires modification to clear the upper timing cover of the 20v.

For more concise information largely oriented around the FWD platform, I recommend that you look at twincam.org, as this conversion is covered to some extent.

Hope this helps.

If it is staying FWD.

You don't need to mod the drivers mount, just take the one off the 4afe and it will bolt straight up. I'm sure you know this, but you'll need to mod the wiring also, which isn't hard, but if you don't understand basic auto electrical principals it is easiest to pay someone to do it. Also you can use auto shafts, providing you remove the bracket which bolts to the engine on the drivers side as they are identical shafts, just the bracket is different.

If you goto twincam.org , be sure to goto twincam.org.au as twincam.org as the sites split a few years ago and anyone who knows anything is on the .au one and trolls regularly post shit responses which are wrong on the .org site.

If you are putting it into RWD

Take the mounts off your ae71, and use them. Add a spigot bearing to the flywheel as you'll snap the input shaft off your gearbox if you don't.

You'll need to sort out the dizzy clearances, by using COP / relocation kit / after market ecu etc.

You'll also have to re-route the water to suit RWD, kits exist for this.

Shoot me a pm if you want more info / help with specfic things.

joeschmo_57
10th December 2011, 08:59 PM
didnt know there was a RWD 4a-fe ae101 corolla?

adelk
12th December 2011, 03:51 PM
their isnt its a fwd "/

blair
15th December 2011, 02:40 PM
What the FUCK IS THIS THREAD???

McLEVIN
15th December 2011, 03:52 PM
Fucking lol he was asking about replacing his 4afe with a 20v

After being told its a rwd community

He stated that "this is a rwd question" how much would it cost to convert his ae71 to 4age?

GRAMMAR, LEARN IT.

Slimer86
15th December 2011, 04:02 PM
Smoke and mirrors changed his 4afe seca, wanting a 20v transplant into an ae71.
Surely that smoke is profitable for sale.