PDA

View Full Version : Chillin's KE

Chillin
13th December 2011, 08:05 PM
Hey dudes, I thought i mite as well throw this up here as i use this forum as my number one source of info/parts these days. I'll try and keep it updated as much as i can.

The story:

It all started back in April 2010 on a rainy Saturday afternoon, trawling through the rollaclub forum a stumbled accross a for sale thread that read:

Selling ke55

5 speed
some rust
brakes not the best

$250 call David

Without even seeing pictures of the car i called the man up and committed to the sale 6am the next morning up in Brisbane.

Morning came and sure enough i rocked up on his doorstep at 6am. To my surprise the car was in great condition, and with a test drive it was sold. With no plates i drove it back to the Gold Coast (over the Gateway bridge) without a hitch.

Once home i had a good look at what i had purchased. Turns out it was a 1981 ke55 update, factory 5 speed and mint interior with 370,xxx on the clock.

A few weeks pasted before i bought some 15x7 ceptors
Lowered the car
and fixed some rust

Time went on before i bought some 14x6 -25 and 14x7 0 csa's
Roof racks were added as it was the cool thing to do
and i was introduced to spirited driving through the hills

This then gave me a thrust for handling mods
So i Scored some BC Golds and 86 jdm brake setup
I replaced all the bushes underneath
And Bought a 5k for that extra k power

New wheels came shortly after the new engine
14x7 -2 star sharks & 14x8 +15 reverse mesh

The the engine blew.........

We replaced the 5k with the old 4k and blew that too, at which point the car went up for sale. I purchased a daily and managed to get the ol 4k running again and the car was taken off the market.

I purchased another pair of sharks (14x7.5 -2) and painted them up in a nice pale orange colour

The car was then used for the occasional hill run or car meet until Queenslands finest dealt her a crushing blow. The car was defected for suspension non ADR approved, Wheels not ADR approved and Tyres not fitted to ADR standard. As i was only given 28 days till inspection i was forced to de-register the car.

I went through stages where i wanted to just sell up and get out of the game but at the end of the day i could not see my girl in the hands of another or worse in a wrecking yard.

Sooooo i sold off all my parts and was left with a stock car to start fresh.
I purchased:
Smallport 4age
ADM T50
tailshaft to suit
x-members
ecu
clutch setup
and most of the fiddly bits to go with it
A mig welder and plenty of new tools :)

And so it begins

Looking forward very much to have this back on the road, if not at a few track days :D

Cheers Hayden

kyle unwin
13th December 2011, 08:33 PM
Looking forward to this :)

Vaughn
13th December 2011, 09:43 PM
Really love the look of this car :D

Chillin
21st December 2011, 08:07 PM
So I've been slowly chipping away at the "To do list"

Managed to score a set of extractors almost new and an uncut loom for special x-mas price :)
Now sourcing some A - K engine mounts from the land of the long white cloud

Body wise, I have removed the ol engine and gear box and sold it off, so the engine bay is ready for work.
Hopefully i will have the gearbox mounted this weekend with the tailshaft modified to suit

I'll swing some pics up when i get around to taking some haha

Chillin
23rd December 2011, 04:29 PM
I received the extractors on Tuesday and the loom today :thumbup:

Also scored a set of s13 coilovers for 20 bucks hahaha, I'm going to see what is needed to modify them into the ke, maybe go for a cut and shut job on the sleeve for the time being.

Chillin
26th December 2011, 05:34 PM
So i managed to get a little work done today, I removed the existing loom and components out of the bay ready for the new engine and gave it a clean. I also mounted the t50 in the car using the existing k series x-member and t series mount.

Also i have a 86 2 row inbound so i can start the cooling system :thumbup:

4DRFRK
26th December 2011, 10:19 PM
Good shit man will have to pop around one day soon to check out the progress on all these cars