PDA

View Full Version : Polishing wheels help

SR_andy
4th March 2012, 01:45 PM
Ok so I just picked up a full set of hero z1
14 x 6.5. They are in desperate need of a polish.
Basically I was going to start with some 2000 grit
Sand paper then polish with autosol. Just wondered
If there was a clear coat that needs to be put back on
If I sand them back??
Any help would be great
Thanks
Andy

Sam-Q
4th March 2012, 04:07 PM
Any I suggest a proffesional polisher, compared the amount of labour you would put into it to get an inferior result they are a bargain

johl
4th March 2012, 07:00 PM
You can run it without clear but you will constantly have to polish them. I agree with Sam. Usually costs no more than $60 per wheel

benzo
4th March 2012, 07:50 PM
Any I suggest a proffesional polisher, compared the amount of labour you would put into it to get an inferior result they are a bargain

+1

I don't recommend clear coat. any small chips that will develop, will start to look ratty real quick.

easier to just hit em with Autosol every few months than re-polish and re-apply clear coat every few months..

Sam-Q
4th March 2012, 07:56 PM
I agree, get them professionaly done once then lightly maintain with autosol. I think I only paid $15 a wheel for the twin step lip to be done.

SR_andy
5th March 2012, 01:09 PM
Sweet locks like I'll just have to polish them up every
Couple of months thanks people

maxhag
4th April 2012, 08:31 PM
Just yet another wheel resto queston.

I have a pair of WORK Ewing Fins, which are a bit rough and I want to clean them up.
Now, even though they are an alloy wheel, they have a chrome coating/plating which is all flaking off and is pitting.... Now, I tried a wire brush on a drill, and it would get the flaky bits off, but alot of the 'chrome/plating stuff' is really hard to penetrate/come off...
So, my question is, it there some sort of chemical product I can use to remove the chrome plating without damaging the alloy underneath?
Would it damage to sand blast?

Once I get it off, polishing is not a problem, but cant polish them at the moment because of the 2 differant surfaces...

thanks