PDA

View Full Version : Wheel restoration questions

cressidabrah
28th March 2012, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a set of SSR mk1's and ewing mesh that I want to take apart and restore.

The SSR mk1's Really just need new bolts as the ones that are in it are a bit rusted, the centre and rim can just get away with a good polish.
Do I have to get special SSR ones or can I get away with stainless one of the same torque rating, thread and length from the local bolt shop?

Also when putting them back in do I have to use loctite or some sort of sealant around where the centre sits in and is there a specific torque I need to tighten the bolts to?

Finally, with the centres, when I take them off do I have to some how mark where the centre came off in relating to the outer rim and what wheel goes with what centre or can I just slap them back on any wheel.

Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid, i'd just rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake. :gah:

Thanks,

Andy

dustyae86
28th March 2012, 07:29 PM
Some purists are probably going to have a teary at me about this, but you could use any bolt, like you said as long as it is the same.
there should be a big o-ring in the centre whihch should be replaced.
And when you tighten them you should do it in a star pattern so to speak, there prob would be a specific torque setting as well, you can figure that out from the mating material, bolt type size thread pitch etc...

bill kwok
29th March 2012, 01:45 PM
Hi guys and girls,

I have a set of Toyota stock rims, which have lots of rust on the surface and dust. What can I do with them?

Thanks!
Bill

Rice86
29th March 2012, 02:46 PM
throw them in the bin

cheers

cressidabrah
29th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi guys and girls,

I have a set of Toyota stock rims, which have lots of rust on the surface and dust. What can I do with them?

Thanks!
Bill
Hey Bill,
There are no girls on the Internet.

Dusty,
Thanks for the tip. Will make tracking down bolts a lot easier.