PDA

View Full Version : Shockworks Toyota AE86 Coilovers Suspension

shift_rook
2nd May 2012, 09:42 AM
The AE86 package has now been completed and has been developed for Australian roads, spending 2 weeks full time just on tuning. We believe we've come up with a package that offers great ride quality and benchmark handling even on full soft. The adjustment range in the harder settings offer a change of balance to the vehicle, with more aggressive body control and response. All this with the biggest strut on the market for the AE86.

The package includes:
10 stage adjustable, 45mm (piston) monotube inverted strut with spring and base height adjustment
6kg 65mm Motorsport coils
Adjustable Camber Tops
10 stage adjustable, 45mm monotube dampers with adjustable height.
Adjustable spring seats
4kg rear springs (5kg available on request)
C spanners to suit
12 months warranty including all track use(excluding all crashes :jdmsmile: )

Other features about the damper: fully serviceable and can custom tune to suit individual customers. Kits also available to suit any other stub axle so please ask if you have something a bit different.

Pricing $2000 including GST + Post

For further details
Mobile- Chris 0413962123
Email- chris.obrien@shockworks.com.au
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/522199.jpg

Any questions please ask

AJPS
2nd May 2012, 01:39 PM
do the rear perches sit on the lower seat like the BC style?

sundee
2nd May 2012, 02:37 PM
can i ask where these are manufactured?
cheers

AJPS
2nd May 2012, 02:39 PM
from what i understand

korea, and finished in aust

shift_rook
2nd May 2012, 03:04 PM
Dave: The sit on the body of the car, not on the diff.
Joel: Yes manufacturing is done in Korea. Though all testing and development is done in Australia.

AJPS
2nd May 2012, 03:28 PM
Dave: The sit on the body of the car, not on the diff.
Joel: Yes manufacturing is done in Korea. Though all testing and development is done in Australia.

do they bolt on? or?

do you have a pic from another angle

Delazy
2nd May 2012, 05:08 PM
Awesome price... Keen as... But not just yet... Will discuss with you at some point anyway Chris :)

Look forward to hearing Davey Clarkes feedback also :)

shift_rook
2nd May 2012, 05:33 PM
Dave they are just held captive by the spring.
John, will hopefully get some feedback form this weekend :) For those who don't know we're heading to SA for the weekend to help Davey setup his car with our suspension

Jimmee1990
2nd May 2012, 10:06 PM
Are you able to do these without the adjustable strut tops for a touch less? Reason being I have some practically brand new cusco's on the car atm and would be a bit of a waste to sell them second hand if I bought these.

shift_rook
3rd May 2012, 11:12 AM
Have Pm'd you

FoldKing86
3rd May 2012, 07:07 PM
Did i read correct that its possible to use different Stub axles (RA40 i think it was). I only have stock brakes atm so im thinking ill upgrade the whole lot in 1 hit if you could offer any advice or a service to accommodate bigger brakes.

Any help appreciated. We can move into PM's if you like.

Steve

shift_rook
3rd May 2012, 07:28 PM
These struts fit pretty much all stub axles from the 80's Datsun/Nissan/Toyota. So yes there are a lot of front end options available.

Will PM

Gunner
7th May 2012, 09:53 PM
They came up great chris, let me know if you still need a hand up here. And howd you go in SA?

shift_rook
8th May 2012, 09:44 AM
SA went great, Davey seems very satisfied with the product we supplied as well as the service. When did you want shocks Rhys? Still on time for Superlap? PM me

FoldKing86
23rd May 2012, 01:19 PM
Any more official details of peoples perception on your setup Chris.

I know its only new, but when looking at available options your setup does not have alot of opinions from users. Unless im looking in the wrong places.

Delazy
23rd May 2012, 01:57 PM
Any more official details of peoples perception on your setup Chris.

I know its only new, but when looking at available options your setup does not have alot of opinions from users. Unless im looking in the wrong places.

I don't think it's a hard decision to make...

it's a custom built solution for our cars...

it's not a shock designed for another car that goes alright or a one size fits all generic option with slightly different valving as in the case of BC coil overs...

These are built/valved specifically for the cars we own/love...

The one thin that has me quite interested is the response of the shock...giving us the ability to reduce spring rates and let the shock do the work rather than the spring/swaybars that most people have relied on for years now...

I know I want these and I have made it publicly clear in various threads and Facebook...I just can't justify the 2k on them while my car is still a near bare shell waitin for love and attention...

Anyone in the market for coilovers ATM would be silly to not be buying these IMHO...and if you weren't buying them
I'd love to know what you are buying because I believe that neither of the higher end options readily available (bc er series/bilstein/greddy) stack up to the quality of these!

Once again outspoken by my...Chris might well correct me or go further into the details regarding the shock response...

FoldKing86
23rd May 2012, 02:34 PM
My findings match your words well John

Delazy
23rd May 2012, 03:55 PM
My biggest lol is the 30 stage adjustment generics on the market...

how many of them actually change how the shock functions other than making a clicking sound???

That 30 stage adjustment could well turn out to be nothing more than 10 stage and 20 clicks o nothingness...

Off topic none the less and apologies to the shock works crew...

shift_rook
23rd May 2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the love John, if you're ever up in vic i'd be glad to take you for a spin in one of our test rigs. You've actually summed it up very well. In regards to the whole adjustment thing you're completely right aswell, more clicks just offer a slightly finer range of adjustment. We have found however that in the majority of aftermarket dampers the adjustment range is usually still quite small(a click doesn't always equal how much it changes), we offer 12 clicks which we feel is a good balance.

Delazy
24th May 2012, 09:56 AM
Think I'll be in melbourne for adgp Calder in a few weeks :) unsure as yet however

shift_rook
24th May 2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah we'll be there supporting Leigh Pidwell & Davey. May even have the ride trailer there.

Wrighty86
24th May 2012, 10:30 PM
hey mate im pretty keen on a set of these. i'd like to know how much a set of these would be posted to up here. postcode is 2320. and also paymend details if i could please

cheers,
kyle

Wrighty86
24th May 2012, 11:29 PM
also, will you be able to supply new axle stubs anytime soon?

shift_rook
24th May 2012, 11:57 PM
PM Sent

shift_rook
29th May 2012, 10:32 AM
We have sourced a pair of stub axles so production will begin immediately, for the setup w/stub axle. 6-8 weeks off as a supplier is currently flat out with the many other orders we have for them but i'll keep you all posted if things get done any sooner :)

FoldKing86
29th May 2012, 10:39 AM
Wonderful thanks Chris.

takai
29th May 2012, 12:20 PM
Hey Chris, your PM box is full, and looking to PM you RE the rear seats.

shift_rook
29th May 2012, 12:32 PM
Inbox cleaned, sorry Chris

FoldKing86
29th May 2012, 12:42 PM
So the stub axles will be attached at factory Chris or are you doing that here.

shift_rook
29th May 2012, 12:45 PM
They will be made as a complete one piece bottom mount that is gusseted and reinforced.

takai
29th May 2012, 12:55 PM
PMed you mate.

Jimmee1990
29th May 2012, 07:36 PM
Sorry if i've missed it somewhere, but are the struts with new cnc'd stubs the same 86 or using stubs with the bigger wheel bearing?

FoldKing86
29th May 2012, 08:25 PM
Sorry if i've missed it somewhere, but are the struts with new cnc'd stubs the same 86 or using stubs with the bigger wheel bearing?

Standard AE86 that im aware of, although you could use your own or find stub axles to suit bigger brakes if you wanted.

I think we discussed that on page 2.

Admiral Ackbar
1st June 2012, 01:33 AM
I have a dumb question: Where is the adjustment knob on the front dampers? If it's on the damper rod that will put it at the bottom of the strut and make it rather hard to get to???

shift_rook
1st June 2012, 10:00 AM
James we'd love to offer bigger wheel bearing, however that means, new hubs and new bearings themselves which would put these out of reach for a lot of members, if you want to use a strut with the bigger bearing such as xt130 we will still be manufacturing the type that can slip into the original stub.

Joel: You may be able to see on the first picture that down the bottom is inspection holes in which you can fit your hand to turn the knob, not so hard to do. Just turn the car to full lock and it's easily reachable.

Stain
1st June 2012, 12:47 PM
Same boat as delazy here, would love a full set in my track bitch but can't justify it until I finish off other aspects of its upgrades as I simply don't drive it currently.

shift_rook
1st June 2012, 08:30 PM
Good to hear Derek, would be glad to help when i can. Sent the stubs off yesterday, will keep you guys posted on progress

--Redwork--
2nd June 2012, 01:45 PM
Will you able to supply these custom valved to better suit different engine and diff conversions.?
I'm faily intrested in these later down the trak but I run an SR and a hilux diff..
Currently run BC coils, and they have been awesome..
But these look to be the buisness...
Also can the rears be supplied as a true coil on spring arrangment.?

Jimmee1990
2nd June 2012, 06:10 PM
I was just curious as to which stub, 86 is good for me anyway as jdm brakes are fine for the use my car gets.

shift_rook
3rd June 2012, 11:01 AM
Jason this can easily be done. In regards to the coilover arrangement we'd have to contact supplier as we haven't done it before with the 86 setup

shift_rook
19th July 2012, 09:32 PM
Now with new strut tops as standard, refer to page one for pics. :P

Gunner
19th July 2012, 11:00 PM
Haha sold out, good stuff chris.

shift_rook
30th August 2012, 02:16 PM
We've just got a few extra sets in stock minus stub axle, just putting the word out. Good for people running different strut options I.E XT130 or RA60.

OMR510
1st September 2012, 07:58 AM
Spoke with Chris at length yesterday and these are going to be great, so much so I have paid a substantial deposit for a set. Will keep people up to date with stuff like installation and performance once installed.
I live 2hrs west of Toowoomba QLD with some of the worst stretches of highway imaginable plus countless back roads etc, so my decision to go with coilovers was a big one as a track oriented setup is useless for me.
After trolling the Shockworks threads, Facebook , the Wheels magazine 86 article and finally a long talk with Chris I was convinced these are the way to go, a highly versatile coilover built specifically for the AE86 and our road conditions, not some generic
bolt in anodised wank fest coilover.
I highly anticipate the delivery of my new coilovers at the end of the month............. :)

Matt
1st September 2012, 08:18 AM
I purchased these for a couple of reasons

The biggest one is that they are supported by an Australian company with more than 35 years of experience in suspension. After spending that long in a trade, you tend to learn a thing or two about it, FPV wouldn't be asking for help from just anybody. Shockworks are also very up front and open with their products and have been more than happy to answer any questions I had and I too have spoken at length with Chris about them.

The amount of R&D gone into the ae86 shocks you won't find elsewhere, we can thank Chris for owning an ae86 whilst developing the suspension package for that. The feed back from davey and dove grey is well deserved to.

I'll have these in my car at the raleigh drift weekend in November, so if anyone wishes to see what the fuss is about and drive my car (not drift) be sure to come along.

burcoty
27th November 2012, 07:11 AM
Just curious what the wait time is on a set with stub axles and RCAs is atm?
will have funds probably shortly after xmas but if there is a decent wait time i'll put a deposit down to secure a set...

Regards,
Tyrone

shift_rook
27th November 2012, 12:40 PM
We currently have these in stock Tyrone. My number is 0413962123, just let me know when you want to pop down, our shop is only half an hour/ 40 minutes from you.

Chris.

burcoty
29th November 2012, 10:04 AM
Tried ringing. Your phone is unavailable.
If you could give me a buzz on 0432550664 that'd be great :)

Tyrone

shift_rook
29th November 2012, 12:46 PM
Called and PM'd

shift_rook
29th November 2012, 01:47 PM
FIrst post updated. Just to note for any of you N/A 4age drifters out there we also have the option of a 5kg springs for the rear

shift_rook
6th December 2012, 03:46 PM
Just like that we're already sold out of kits with stub axle. Expect another 10 kits to be here by mid Jan.

Delazy
6th December 2012, 04:18 PM
Glad to hear things are selling...was always going to be a worthwhile venture imho

McLEVIN
6th December 2012, 04:39 PM
Got mine today. Love em

shift_rook
6th December 2012, 04:47 PM
Sweet, good to hear Chris. Let me know when they go in and what you think. Thanks for the love John

FoldKing86
6th December 2012, 05:12 PM
Just got my rears in :shocked:

Relative straight forward.

Ill leave it all at full soft atm then fiddle on the weekend.

burcoty
18th December 2012, 09:34 PM
Paid in full. You have p.m :)

OMR510
8th January 2013, 10:30 AM
I was a skeptic of all overseas offerings of coilovers till I heard about the Shockworks ones being developed over here.
After exhaustive research on a lot of Toyota forums and feedback from other people on what was available and their pro's and con's I spoke to Brett and Chris at Shockworks.
After talking to them both I was convinced that a locally designed and tested product was the way to go for me.
After receiving the Shockworks coilovers I was impressed with the overall build quality and design. I was not prepared for how good they really are.
I live in an area where road quality is below standard and has the potential to destroy wheels and suspension on a daily basis.
After fitting my Shockworks coilovers and setting them up to my preferences I went for a drive.
I couldnt wipe the grin from my face as I put them through their paces. The overall handling of my AE86 had been transformed to the point I didnt even release it was the same car.
The initial turn in was nice and direct with good feedback through the wheel. The weight of the steering had not been affected but the turn in was much easier and more confident.
The car stayed planted and stable through the corners and the ride felt more compliant through the rougher stuff that is common in this area.
Braking was greatly improved requiring less effort as my front tyres were actually made to work to how they were designed.
All in all I couldnt recommend these coilovers enough to people who have been waiting to fit some to their AE86 and even to the point I would tell them to sell of their old coilovers and go out and
buy some Shockworks ones.
That is how good they are.
If you dont believe me read the Wheels Magazine article which compares the AE86 to the new 86.

I can only point you in the right direction much like what these coilovers did for me and my AE86.
Thanks again to Brett and Chris at Shockworks.

If you want to check out my car there are pics up on the Shockworks Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.484527134921308.112632.309202579120432&type=3

and hopefully the links below work cause there are two short vids of my initial setup

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4288860573921&set=vb.1058649368&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4289001937455&set=vb.1058649368&type=3&theater

shift_rook
9th January 2013, 10:24 AM
Appreciate the feedback Keith. We now have upgraded the rear shocks so adjustment can be done from the boot and 10 kits are now on there way scheduled to arrived early next month.

Gunner
9th January 2013, 05:08 PM
perfect timing chris

Jimmee1990
9th January 2013, 06:57 PM
Any chance of the rear shock update being sold seperate to those of us with the older style? My fingers are almost too fat to get in there :DD

shift_rook
10th January 2013, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately it changed packaging sizes so they've changed the whole rear damper length. You're be looking at at least $400 for the upgrade :(

AJPS
10th January 2013, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately it changed packaging sizes so they've changed the whole rear damper length. You're be looking at at least $400 for the upgrade :(

did they make it longer?

Jimmee1990
10th January 2013, 07:33 PM
Ah well, i'll just make do then, i'm not changing them around often enough to annoy me too much anyway.

shift_rook
10th January 2013, 08:54 PM
They are a touch longer as now there's no need to package the adjuster housing. I'll keep you posted as there may be a way around this.

matt99
11th January 2013, 05:08 PM
Even has a stainless grub screw on the adjuster. That will out last my shell.

Yamez RS
20th January 2013, 10:09 AM
Any update on pricing to the US?

Thanks,
James

shift_rook
21st January 2013, 08:51 AM
Sorry James, sent mail now so i don't forget. Will have an answer for you within the week.

shift_rook
28th January 2013, 06:50 PM
USD$300 for shipping James. I will also PM

shift_rook
25th February 2013, 05:47 PM
Ok we get a brand new derivery on Thursday. Anyone keen?

matt99
26th February 2013, 03:54 PM
Whats in it?

shift_rook
4th March 2013, 09:11 AM
Delivery all unpacked with sets sent out to dealers, we have in GT86, AE86, JZX100, JZA80, FG Falcon, S13, S14. Still have All other Falocn and Skyline in stock from last order.

dove grey 64
4th March 2013, 06:42 PM
hey chris out of interest what cars have you sold the most kits for and which cars have the most amount of "interest"?

shift_rook
6th March 2013, 04:42 PM
AE86 has definitely been our biggest seller, though it somewhat surprises me after the initial group buy and everyone giving excellent feedback, we haven't sold more than 2-3. Interest wise we get a lot of enquiries about Silvia chassis on Facebook but they've only converted to a couple of sales. We've just started on the Ford Forums so hopefully we're received well.

McLEVIN
7th March 2013, 06:21 PM
Cant pm you inbox is full

shift_rook
8th March 2013, 08:46 AM
All cleaned up.

shift_rook
22nd April 2013, 10:57 AM
Until the end of May we're doing a sale on the stub axle kits. $1800 + Delivery, a saving of $200 off the retail. Postage is usually around the $60-$70 mark for Metro areas.

stahlz_ae86
22nd April 2013, 07:13 PM
Do you do a universal camber top yet? AE86 tops won't fit my TE71 :(

shift_rook
24th April 2013, 10:16 AM
Get some measurements or if you can bring a standard top mount over and we'll see what else is similar, i found S13 fit in the corona with just some very slight filing.

K1W1 Simo
24th April 2013, 10:41 AM
Chris,

Can you give me a price for just the rear set up for the ae86 suspension kit, thanks.

shift_rook
27th April 2013, 10:52 AM
Hi Simon, we usually try not to make a habit out of separating kits due to it making orders somewhat difficult at times, also the balance of the car can become unsettled. Either way i'll PM you with some options.

shift_rook
27th May 2013, 06:05 PM
Until the end of the week we're still doing the sale at $1800 a kit. Then they will be going back up to the 2k Retail, only a couple kits left!

Protius_h
20th June 2013, 08:05 PM
Keen as punch for these as i am in the process of rebuilding all my suspension and replacing bushes etc --- just need to save the cash any installed photos etc

sorry if this has already been asked but i dont suppose you do other colours instead of the orange no worries if you dont i am still wanting to get some just thought i would ask ?

cheers Heath

Jimmee1990
20th June 2013, 10:28 PM
Pretty sure they only come in the orange and grey, I'll clean mine up and try and get some installed photos for you. Still super impressed with them by the way Chris!

Deeken
17th November 2013, 11:39 PM
Hey Chris, just wondering what kind of price I'd be looking at for a rear setup?

Thanks.

Auscan16
20th November 2013, 01:40 PM
Hey Chris,

What is the height adjustability of the 86 kit like?

Matt
22nd November 2013, 04:38 PM
There is heaps of height adjust ability on them...

dove grey 64
23rd November 2013, 08:13 PM
From stupid low to stock I'd say.

J0RD0
2nd February 2014, 12:58 AM
pm'd

Auscan16
20th May 2014, 04:45 PM
PM sent

Yamez RS
21st October 2014, 10:49 PM
Are these still available? How much shipped to the US 28205?

Jimmee1990
22nd October 2014, 08:53 PM
Yeah they still offer them, might get a faster response contacting them on Facebook however. https://www.facebook.com/shockworks

Sprinter Freak
30th January 2015, 04:43 PM
Pm'd regarding spare parts for front camber tops