PDA

View Full Version : Shockworks Toyota AE86 Coilovers with stub axle Thread

shift_rook
11th May 2012, 06:53 PM
Hey guys.

Manufacturer has told us we can now supply the coilovers with stub axle. Instead of the $1800 it will be $2000. However we need a minimum order of 10 units. So what i would need before i go about making them is at least 6-7 members who can put a deposit down. Will be a reinforced stub. Not to worry though i will still be getting the bare strut units made for the guys using corona struts and the like. If you're interested put your name down and i'll put through the details. All shock features in thread below

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/70749-Shockworks-AE86-Suspension

AJPS
11th May 2012, 08:14 PM
hrmm, with the price of ae86 struts...

FoldKing86
15th May 2012, 01:24 PM
Im in for $2000 with stub axles.

Ill just keep the factory brakes for now and muck with brakes later, smaller bearings but oh well, others do well with it and i dont drive that often.

Rough estimate on post to NSW 2323?

FoldKing86
23rd May 2012, 10:24 AM
Any momentum on this Chris.

Would be useful to me if i didnt have to pull apart my struts to fit your setup.

shift_rook
23rd May 2012, 11:02 AM
You're the only person that has expressed any interest. I can't order 10 sets of dampers when no one else wants them. Still have about 6 sets of the normal type struts

Matt
23rd May 2012, 11:39 AM
Put me down for 2 sets.... Pm me with deposit info

FoldKing86
23rd May 2012, 11:53 AM
So thats 3 for the axle stubs, and i may know of 1 more ill get his ass into gear.

What sort of deposit chris and what would postage be too 2323 NSW.

shift_rook
23rd May 2012, 04:55 PM
Ok this could work. Would mean still a decent amount of stock but i think if we offer the stub we'll get a lot more interstaters in the future. Will talk to the boss and get back to you both immediately

shift_rook
23rd May 2012, 04:58 PM
I've been given the go ahead. First i will need to source stub axles, unfortunately a pair i was counting on got sold to someone else...
I'll give you both details after i source stubs.

FoldKing86
23rd May 2012, 05:47 PM
Hold up a minute there Chris.

Sorry if i misunderstood Chris but i was under the impression the stub axles would be made new, not 2nd hands ripped off old struts.

When you stated that the manufacturer can supply with stub axles i take that as new ones being made.

shift_rook
23rd May 2012, 07:02 PM
Oh yes Steve 100%, i just need 1 pair to send to the manufacturer for samples. Sorry for the confusion

FoldKing86
23rd May 2012, 07:09 PM
Bwhahahahaa how retarded of me, sorry.

Carry on :thumbup:

Wrighty86
25th May 2012, 05:36 PM
very keen for these :sunnies:

billett86
2nd June 2012, 07:36 PM
will be very interested in the near future

FoldKing86
2nd June 2012, 10:02 PM
will be very interested in the near future

I cant wait to try them instead of this generic stuff Ive got atm, i mean sure it works but there is always better out there.

Dumping my Whiteline gear for Cusco as well, should feel like a hole lot different.

shift_rook
3rd June 2012, 10:57 AM
What whiteline gear are you replacing Steve?

McLEVIN
3rd June 2012, 12:19 PM
What turn around time we looking at before they get here

FoldKing86
3rd June 2012, 05:08 PM
What whiteline gear are you replacing Steve?

sway bars and panhard rod.

shift_rook
3rd June 2012, 05:11 PM
6-8 weeks at this stage, though could be sooner. We've just placed a pretty large order so there's plenty of stuff to get through, currently also desgingin for JZX100 Chaser, JZA80 Supra & The skyline GTR range, so there's plenty of drawings to be confiming. FOr those of you who don't know we've already got stuff available for The silvia chassis & skyline GTS-t range.

FoldKing86
20th June 2012, 08:19 PM
Still looking at end July/early august Chris?

shift_rook
22nd June 2012, 06:45 PM
We will address this with our Skype meeting with our supplier tomorrow. I'll give you an exact date early next week.

Sprinter Freak
27th June 2012, 10:04 PM
should be keen on a set of these in the not to distant future

shift_rook
28th June 2012, 09:54 AM
The stubs have been taken to a university over there to be properly 3d modelled, so there's to be no difference between the two. Everything is already currently being made it's only the stubs we're waiting on as there'ye so damn intricate. I'll try and keep you updated as best i can but i'm not able to put on a rock solid date as there's a couple of different factors that could drag design time out. I promise you guys the wait will be worth it though for the mean time if anyone is desperate for some shocks now we'll be getting 4 sets sent without stub in the next few weeks.

FoldKing86
28th June 2012, 02:46 PM
Cheers Chris.

Im in no rush and id love to wait for a better product then get in early on a rush job.

Steve

Sprinter Freak
2nd July 2012, 07:31 PM
alright put me down for a set of these, just got paid:cool:

shift_rook
2nd July 2012, 07:38 PM
Awesome, seem to have a reaonsable amount of guys keen. I'll post up a thread in the next week with the 2 corolla guys we're currently sponsoring :)

shift_rook
2nd July 2012, 07:48 PM
I've decided to spend most of the rest of the week putting together an article. Will update when i have somehting ready :)

Sprinter Freak
4th July 2012, 06:29 PM
pm'd about putting a deposit on a set of these.

shift_rook
10th July 2012, 12:28 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/522368.jpg

Hooray! Still waiting on exact times but drawings are finished. Will be keeping you guys as up to date as i am.

Matt
11th July 2012, 05:52 PM
Looking good mate...

turn69up
12th July 2012, 11:34 PM
What are these stubs made from 4140? Are they bigger to accept a bigger diameter strut/damper/shock? What spring rates do u offer im looking for around 10kg front and 8 rear, can ur dampers handle these spring rates, do u make ur own springs?

shift_rook
13th July 2012, 11:08 AM
They have been made to fit our strut. They will not be sold seperately. One of our Korean partners makes the springs, they also are an OEM supplier for GM and Hyundai. 10/8 is far to stiff. if you were running full competition race slicks you could possibly go up to an 8/6 or maybe even a 9/7 but 10/8 is ridiculous. We use a 6/4 package and this works perfectly, even with our competition cars, the damper works a lot harder so the springs don't have to.

turn69up
14th July 2012, 10:13 AM
Ye im not asking to buy them seperate just asking if u know how and what there made of (cast, forged, cnc'ed, 4140?? Etc) also i will be running full slicks so u do 9/7 then?

shift_rook
16th July 2012, 04:30 PM
It'd be difficult to do a 1 off order for the spring in the rear. Being that it is a custom sized spring. Also we haven't valved our package to suit that kind of spring rate and to be honest, i can't name many Australian circuits that don't have imperfections in the surface, also from my experience testing with higher spring rates at different circuits, it gives us push in the low speed corners and hairpins. You want slow progressive roll, with that high a spring rate you will have little to none. I'd love to see your build thread to see just what kind of car you're building here. I'd happily increase damping to keep the car more sucked in through the corners, though i would prefer to leave spring rates as they are.

Frak
16th July 2012, 07:32 PM
Good to see you are using realistic spring rates, I always have a laugh at the "I want 10/8", I've been using 6.5/4.0 for years and it works a treat on the circuit.Good work.

Sprinter Freak
16th July 2012, 07:49 PM
pm'd

shift_rook
19th July 2012, 09:00 AM
I now have a time from the supplier, more time than originally expected but they have taken care to make sure this stub is perfect. They have given us a time of 20th of September. Meaning all our Australian customers should receive their kits by the end September.

I will now be sending a message to all the people who showed interest.

Matt
19th July 2012, 05:27 PM
Will be well worth the wait...

Great job on this Chris, looking forward to my set arriving.

turn69up
21st July 2012, 07:19 PM
Ok well if in a couple of months i will be looking into coilovers and if u can figure out how/what the stub axles are made of and can/willing (ur a bit vague) to revalve and 9-7 or 8-6 at least and they go super low then i will defs get these and mabe later down the line get another pair with ur valving/spring rate u recon is best for time attack as thats what i wana do with it but want it on its nuts right now
(=^ェ^=)

shift_rook
23rd July 2012, 09:59 AM
At this point in time we're so busy in development we don't have time to develop a damper with the higher spring rate in mind, please take into account this is a different damper from the norm and we have found from our experience that the higher spring rate really isn't needed as it affects the car to much in the slower corners. In regards to materials the Manufacturer is currently looking into the best option, i'll be letting you know when i am told

dove grey 64
27th July 2012, 08:31 AM
Ok well if in a couple of months i will be looking into coilovers and if u can figure out how/what the stub axles are made of and can/willing (ur a bit vague) to revalve and 9-7 or 8-6 at least and they go super low then i will defs get these and mabe later down the line get another pair with ur valving/spring rate u recon is best for time attack as thats what i wana do with it but want it on its nuts right now
(=^ェ^=)

this is from the customer feedback thread laurence. originally posted by matt99

Chris and I set the shockworks stuff up in my track car before round two of the VicDrift championship.

During practice the car had much more grip, to the point where my 250rwkw wasnt enough to turn the 195's properly in the 86. I then played with the adjusters (adjuster's that actually do something, what a godsend) and got the suspension to a point where I could probably turn a 265mm tyre with a standard 4K KE70, then I found a happy medium for drifting and the car was perfect.

The front is also notably much more responsive and the wheels actually stick to the road, unlike before where they simply bounced as they wished.

Very, VERY happy with my set up. Thanks Chris.
and thats with the standard 6/4 spring rates.
does anyone in qld have a shock works setup to show Laurence? personally i'd say anything more then the stock springs would be overkill, the dampers are that good

FoldKing86
31st July 2012, 08:21 PM
My deposit on its way Chris, cant wait to try these bad boys out.

shift_rook
31st July 2012, 09:13 PM
Doing further development on them this week so all previous sales are welcome for a fee upgrade

FoldKing86
3rd August 2012, 08:20 PM
Doing further development on them this week so all previous sales are welcome for a fee upgrade

:shocked:

What adjustments?

AJPS
3rd August 2012, 10:33 PM

What adjustments?

he is upgrading the FEES by the sound of it

Jokes...

dove grey 64
3rd August 2012, 10:40 PM

What adjustments?

more valve coding i think, my 86 is one of the test cars they use to fine tune the suspension setups, constantly improving the product.

FoldKing86
6th August 2012, 02:58 PM
Awesome, just what i like to hear, as apposed relying on consumer request/complaints then react, or a slap it together and "yeah that should work" philosophy.

shift_rook
6th August 2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah today we were working on S15 tuning, tomorrow we have Geoffs car so we can do some small improvements.

shift_rook
7th August 2012, 07:15 PM
Such a successful day of tuning. Have really hit the nail on the head. Hopefully i impress some members :D

dove grey 64
7th August 2012, 07:53 PM
new valve code is AMAZING, if anybody here has a shockworks setup please send it back to chris for the new code because the shit just got better. yes really

McLEVIN
7th August 2012, 08:07 PM
Shut up and take my money!!! When are you getting em with the stub axle

Matt
7th August 2012, 11:45 PM
approx 6-8 weeks...

Will be in time to run mine ath the raleigh meet :)

shift_rook
8th August 2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah ETA is still end of september. Stub drawings have all been confirmed so now it's just a case of waiting for the moulds and general assembly.

shift_rook
23rd August 2012, 05:53 PM
If anyone else is keen please let me know, have 5 sets spoken for already.

shift_rook
30th August 2012, 11:13 AM
6 Sets sold. If you're keen would be good to contact me soon as no odubt once they're in they'll be snapped up pretty quick.

Rice86
30th August 2012, 01:38 PM
you can note me down for being an interest buyer for these stub axle version, though cannot put a deposit down until im 100% i want them. still testing out my current setup if you know what i mean

shift_rook
30th August 2012, 02:06 PM
All good mate, will make contact with you a week before they're in :)

McLEVIN
30th August 2012, 02:09 PM
Deposit paid

shift_rook
31st August 2012, 05:51 PM
Only 2 sets left guys:))

May have to get more made

shift_rook
5th September 2012, 11:55 AM
After the success of the barbecue 9 sets have now been sold. I'll definitely be getting more made though it may only be a couple of sets for this first shipment.

Jimmee1990
5th September 2012, 09:26 PM
Your old man showed me the photos of the stub castings, looks like it's coming together pretty well with the extra bracing. Have you guys got word of what material they are being made from yet?

shift_rook
10th September 2012, 01:38 PM
The stub is made from FCD500, the same material used in oem knuckles. Sorry for the late reply, should have checked the thread earlier.

shift_rook
10th September 2012, 01:43 PM
We've also just got word from our manufacturer that they're still a couple of weeks off completion due to them being very very stringent in the manufacture of these stubs. We can expect to have them here by early to mid October. If this is no good for anyone who has already put a deposit down we can either make up a kit using change over stub axles or if you're unhappy we can refund deposit. Hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone too much but we'd prefer to take the extra couple of weeks and sell something we know is perfect.

Matt
10th September 2012, 07:16 PM
Worth the wait.. I hope to show these off at raleigh!

Jimmee1990
10th September 2012, 11:41 PM
Looks like i'm doing Rob Roy with standard springs and shocks haha, oh well.

FoldKing86
11th September 2012, 10:35 AM
We've also just got word from our manufacturer that they're still a couple of weeks off completion due to them being very very stringent in the manufacture of these stubs. We can expect to have them here by early to mid October. If this is no good for anyone who has already put a deposit down we can either make up a kit using change over stub axles or if you're unhappy we can refund deposit. Hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone too much but we'd prefer to take the extra couple of weeks and sell something we know is perfect.

I like your style Chris.

Im happy to wait, gives me more freedom with my money.

shift_rook
18th September 2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/7/522553.jpg
Bigga Borue Hachi Roku Stub Axle

FoldKing86
18th September 2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry if its been asked Chris but what happens with existing RCA's and the steering knuckles, do/will they still line up as normal now that the center hole is larger or what a spacer ring need to be made?

shift_rook
21st September 2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah bolt diametre is still the same Steve. Everything will bolt up as normal.

Yamez RS
1st October 2012, 12:50 AM
Chris,

Is it possible to get this setup shipped to the US? If so, can you give me a PM on pricing?

Cheers,
James

shift_rook
2nd October 2012, 11:02 AM
Hi James,
I am finding out shipping costs to the US for you. It is now holidays in Korea so I wont have an answer until they get back after the 3rd Oct. Get back to you soon.

Cheers
Chris

ke_70
8th October 2012, 12:52 PM
so are these stocked or made to order?

Matt
8th October 2012, 01:54 PM
They will stock them , though with this batch given there was a fair amount of R&D / testing on the stub axle thats the reason for the wait.

ke_70
8th October 2012, 05:08 PM
yep i'll might be after a set sometime in the next 2 weeks

swing us a pm with avalibility when you get a chance shifty!

ke_70
11th October 2012, 05:58 PM
pm'd

cash in hand waiting now :)

dove grey 64
12th October 2012, 08:21 PM
pm'd

cash in hand waiting now :)

i believe chris and his father are both overseas at the moment, i dont know if he is responding to pm's or not. just hold onto that cash for now. i'll see if i can contact them through FB

ke_70
12th October 2012, 08:35 PM
yeah got ahold of them, still abit of a wait till they're done anyway

shift_rook
13th October 2012, 01:34 AM
Sorry for the lack of contact guys, i'm currently travelling Europe and dad's doing contracting work in China till the 22nd. If people can E-mail me their enquiries to:

chris.obrien@shockworks.com.au

I'll have a much better chance of seeing it and replying.

FoldKing86
13th October 2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry for the lack of contact guys, i'm currently travelling Europe and dad's doing contracting work in China till the 22nd. If people can E-mail me their enquiries to:

chris.obrien@shockworks.com.au

I'll have a much better chance of seeing it and replying.

Just emailed you chris.

shift_rook
25th October 2012, 10:08 PM
Just seen these pics on facebook, meaning production should be very close if not finished, will confirm with the father on exact timing and post on here when i can.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/500312.jpg

Matt
26th October 2012, 04:38 PM
Do tell what these are for...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/500324.jpg

FoldKing86
26th October 2012, 05:11 PM
Do tell what these are for...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/500325.jpg

Its a bearing to all allow smooth twisting of the shocks with in the camber plates or top hat, arent they?

If so the then better then a Teflon collar or what ever is being used these days.

Jimmee1990
26th October 2012, 07:24 PM
From what I remember when I was around there, it's a sealed bearing underneath the top hat to allow the rotation and stop any dirt/road grime from getting into the top mount? Not 100% and Chris will correct me if i've stuffed up though.

dove grey 64
26th October 2012, 10:17 PM
yeah pretty much on the money, allows the spring to rotate with the camber top and a whole lot of other technical stuff which is better..=)
im getting these on sunday i believe, will post up more info when i know it

dove grey 64
29th October 2012, 07:52 AM
did not get them fitted yet but from what i gathered by localising the spring this will improve steering feel and will also be great for drifters as your wheels will re center much more naturally. another benefit is the added height of the tops will bring the strut down further so the adjusting knobs are closer and easier to reach.
saw the stub axle in the flesh too and quality is equal/better then oem (im no engineer but they look spot on)

Jimmee1990
29th October 2012, 08:43 PM
Any word on when peoples orders will be in? Gotta be close if they've got some stubs there now.

Matt
29th October 2012, 10:03 PM
They have either left Korea or are leaving very soon..

shift_rook
31st October 2012, 10:11 AM
Sorry guys for not getting on here much, time really isn't on my side. Haven't been able to speak to dad too much in the last couple of weeks. I'll try and speak to him in the next couple of days about exact timing, once again massive apologies for the delays, if i'd have known it would have taken so long i would have held off on the deposits, you all have my word i will have them to your doors the minute i have them in my hands. If this is any consolation i just got a message from Keith on here with some feedback, i hope this can make you guys that little more excited.

Quote:
I was a skeptic of all overseas offerings of coilovers till I heard about the Shockworks ones being developed over here.
After exhaustive research on a lot of Toyota forums and feedback from other people on what was available and their pro's and con's I spoke to Brett and Chris at Shockworks.
After talking to them both I was convinced that a locally designed and tested product was the way to go for me.
After receiving the Shockworks coilovers I was impressed with the overall build quality and design. I was not prepared for how good they really are.
I live in an area where road quality is below standard and has the potential to destroy wheels and suspension on a daily basis.
After fitting my Shockworks coilovers and setting them up to my preferences I went for a drive.
I couldnt wipe the grin from my face as I put them through their paces. The overall handling of my AE86 had been transformed to the point I didnt even release it was the same car.
The initial turn in was nice and direct with good feedback through the wheel. The weight of the steering had not been affected but the turn in was much easier and more confident.
The car stayed planted and stable through the corners and the ride felt more compliant through the rougher stuff that is common in this area.
Braking was greatly improved requiring less effort as my front tyres were actually made to work to how they were designed.
All in all I couldnt recommend these coilovers enough to people who have been waiting to fit some to their AE86 and even to the point I would tell them to sell of their old coilovers and go out and buy some Shockworks ones.
That is how good they are.
If you dont believe me read the Wheels Magazine article which compares the AE86 to the new 86.
Get on the AE86DC forum and read the Shockworks thread and read what D1 Davey has to say about them.
I can only point you in the right direction much like what these coilovers did for me and my AE86.

FoldKing86
3rd November 2012, 11:06 AM
From facebook

"OK Guy's, The ship with the AE86 dampers has an ETA of November 16th. I should have them mid following week and will despacth to all the customers who left their deposit or paid in full. We now have the option of the RCA's now so let me know if you want this included. Cost is $160 a set."

shift_rook
5th November 2012, 03:35 AM
Thanks for that Steve. I'll be back in town on the 16th so will be going back to the regular posts from then.

Matt
7th November 2012, 03:39 PM
Put me down for the rcas...

lolwat
11th November 2012, 07:48 PM
i know you dont like too, but would you sell a set of fronts?

Yamez RS
12th November 2012, 03:05 PM
Any update on shipping to the US?

Thanks,
James

dove grey 64
12th November 2012, 07:34 PM
i'll get some rcas too

Rice86
13th November 2012, 02:24 PM
so are these only back orders or will you be stocking them off the shelf?

has anyone actually tested these out on the track for grip and drift yet?

Matt
13th November 2012, 03:50 PM
For Drift - Davey is running them in his ke and Ryan (white ke70 from Raleigh) also runs them.

Rice86
13th November 2012, 04:11 PM
oh damh, should of went for a ride with him then...

shift_rook
20th November 2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry guys i'm finally back and will be on here regularly again!

We will only be stocking a few spare sets at the moment though now that stubs have been made the waiting time will be down to a few weeks IF we are out of stock, though we'll be keeping an eye on stock levels so hopefully this doesn't happen.

We will be taking delivery of the AE86 W/Stub by the end of the week SO, anyone who hasn't made complete payment should try and do that ASAP, everyone who has ordered needs to send me an address for them to be delivered to, this will be couriered so the address you send try and make it one in which you will be there to sign for them.

shift_rook
20th November 2012, 08:12 AM
Also as a note, RCA's can be supplied for an additional $160. So please note if you want them with your set.

FoldKing86
20th November 2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Chris

I seem to have misplaced your bank acc details, if you could send them thru ill pay asap.

Jimmee1990
21st November 2012, 07:04 PM
Let me know when you're free and i'll come drop the money off after work this week if you like.

shift_rook
23rd November 2012, 10:36 AM
No stress James, did you want them installed sometime next week? You can just drop off the cash then. If all goes to plan we'll be sending these out Tuesday so if people can PM me when they get them it'd be good to know.

shift_rook
27th November 2012, 12:41 PM
These have all been sent off. Please post up any feedback upon receiving/ installing these in the appropriate thread.

toyotakraze
5th April 2014, 07:52 AM
Are these still available with stub axle?

Matt
15th April 2014, 06:34 AM
yes