PDA

View Full Version : ZN6 & FA20 specs, casual discussion

Jonny Rochester
8th June 2012, 11:51 PM
The Toyota 86 repair manual went online today 8/6/12, viewed only by dealerships.
I am not going to copy it, but will put up random facts I find in it.

All the model codes, VIN, paint codes etc are carried over from Subaru. So they do not make sence or follow the same logic as Toyota codes.
The basic model code is ZN6. (Subaru is ZC6).

In early Toyota material, (followed by wikipedia etc) they were calling the engine "4U-GSE". However I am pleased to see they have dropped this and the engine is just called FA20 by both Toyota and Subaru.

The FA20 have VVT on both intake and exhaust cams. From my quick calculations the intake cam has duration 255 degrees, and the exhaust cam 252 degrees. (For reference, most normal cars have cam duration 240 degrees).

The 4 cams act on roller rockers similar to other current Toyota engines like 2GR-FE and 2ZR-FE. It could be a weak link for a high rev modified setup, time will tell.

The coolant is blue, and lasts for 11 years...

The sound tube maybe the most random part of this car. I'm told the new Lexus GS350 has something similar.

Nikkojoe
9th June 2012, 01:01 AM
Some nice info. :)

With the sound tube, where does it end up inside the cabin? Do you know if we can order the toyota badge that covers the subaru stamp on the inside of the front fenders? I saw something available in the uk, wonder if its available here?

Also are you able to see if the boot has a mat to cover the full size spare? Some people say it has a mat standard and some say it is an optional extra due to the standard mat having a giant hole cut out for the spare :/

dove grey 64
10th June 2012, 08:24 AM
from what i saw yesterday in person the gt version has a moulded plastic rear trim that covers the full size spare in the boot, has an 86 logo in the center

MR 86
10th June 2012, 08:41 AM
Are the calipers the same size from GT to GTS ? Is it only the actual rotor which is sized larger in the GTS ?

Matt
10th June 2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah

10. Toyota 86 has two brake packages

New Toyota 86 has two grade-specific brake packages to suit the 16-inch wheels on 86 GT and 17-inch wheels on 86 GTS.
86 GT has 277mm diameter ventilated front discs and 286mm diameter solid rear discs.
High-grade 86 GTS has 294mm diameter ventilated front discs and 290mm ventilated rear discs.
Both have aluminium callipers and a lever-type parking brake.
The brake response and vacuum booster have been fine-tuned to provide precise brake modulation

Read more on the specs http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/71428-Toyota-86-2012-Official-Press-Kit

Matt
10th June 2012, 09:08 AM
The GTS has these additional features..

Bigger Brakes / 17" Wheels
Leather-accented Front seaths with Alcantara fabric inserts
Heated Seats
Dual zone cliemate control a/c
Aluminium pedals / scuff plates
3 Spoke Steering wheel
6.1" LCD Touch Screen with Sat Nav
SD Card Slot
Paddle Shifters if auto
Digitial Speedo
LED headlights
Push button start
Effectively a Shift Light

Interesting that it has electric power steering..

mm.mitch
10th June 2012, 04:41 PM
Do the GTS only come with the red inserts on the seats, or can you get them optioned with just black?

dove grey 64
10th June 2012, 04:56 PM
from the one i drove yesterday the standard gt also has red/black seats, just made in cloth.
also from what i saw the gt brakes are more then adequate, never once did it feel under braked

Matt
10th June 2012, 05:44 PM
I like how the tacho will turn red like a shift light does on the GTS models.... Is enough to catch your attention unlike those autometer ones of the 90's which blinded the car behind you...

Jonny Rochester
14th June 2012, 01:01 AM
Some more random stuff. All the parts and repair manuals and owners manuals etc can be looked up at dealerships. If someone wants to know something, find a part etc, I can look into it.

All the part numbers are 10 digit Toyota numbers, but the first 2 characters on 90% of the parts are SU.
eg. SU009-00352

Service intervals maybe 15,000km... (in my opinion too long. Most toyotas schedule is 10,000km).

The handbrake uses a big drum brake. Not a crap drum brake like the Camry. And not a levered brake caliper like the AE86 and ZRE152.

The "D4-S" and engine ECU are Denso. All the fault codes are regular Toyota style numbers. I suspect the entire electrics (elect steering, keyless entry, VSC, etc) are Toyota/Denso. People once talked of the late Subaru ECU being "open" to tuners. I suspect the electrics and ECUs are more Toyota than Subaru, and probably fairly hard to crack. The first thing I would wait for is a piggy back ECU to raise the rev limit. (Imagine big cams, limited VVT, rev to 10,000rpm. OK, maybe 8500rpm)

The brake pads from Toyota come in 2 different friction compounds.

The manual gearbox is called TL70.

The standard camber on the front is zero degrees. There is a adjustment bolt availiable to change this a bit, as with most cars.
The caster is 5.9 degrees.

Jonny Rochester
14th June 2012, 01:05 AM
Are the calipers the same size from GT to GTS ? Is it only the actual rotor which is sized larger in the GTS ?

On the rear both the calipers and rotors are different, since the diameter and width of the caliper is different.

On the front, both GT and GTS discs are the same thickness from memory, and the pads are the same, so maybe...

Nikkojoe
14th June 2012, 01:32 AM
Service intervals maybe 15,000km... (in my opinion too long. Most toyotas schedule is 10,000km).

Yeah, was looking at the service advantage and it said first 4services or 60,000km. I'll be doing oil at 7,500/6month intervals and an oil change at 2,000 or 3,000km after run in.

Usually they increase sump capacity to increase life of oil, mainly for fleet Companies to be happy. What's the size of this sump?

Jonny Rochester
14th June 2012, 01:56 AM
Sump is 5.5L from memory.

Camry/Aurion are at 9000km but they used to be 15,000km or 1 year. For some this is pushing the limit, mostly for tyre wear, also for oil usage. But people forget after such a long interval and some oil burning results in more oil burning and only 1L of oil left in the engine... and a new engine is needed. Seen it a few times.

Saikou
7th July 2012, 04:24 AM
really good info ! thanks for informing us =D

the coolant trips me out, i thought it would be toyota's red, but i guess since subara has the brz, random question = is it better?

Matt
7th July 2012, 10:05 AM
Toyota red coolant is good stuff...

You'd think that they wouldn't change unless it was the same if not better.

Jonny Rochester
8th July 2012, 12:23 PM
Toyota red long life coolant (LLC) was put in all Toyotas up till about 2003.
Toyota pink super long life coolant (SLLC) is put in all new Toyotas from about 2003 onwards.
The 86 has blue coolant as it's built in a Subaru factory and uses their fluids. The blue SLLC is equivalent in spec to Toyota's pink SLLC. The blue is available at Toyota spare parts and is called "Super long life coolant, blue".