PDA

View Full Version : how to get into drifting?

Mr.Sunny
28th June 2012, 09:19 AM
hey all im wanting to get into drifting and just get out there and have some fun, how and where? i live on the sunny coast

Matt
28th June 2012, 02:35 PM
Welcome...

Start by owning a car capable of it, its allot easier / usually cheaper to buy one that is already setup... Additionally it is usually less hassles if your drift car isn't registered and you trailor it to / from the track. What do you own now?

Then register for private track days and show up and drive. There are a few clubs which run them and we will be looking at running them soon too. When you start getting better you can enter comps and that.

Another recommendation is that "if you can't afford to set the car on fire and walk away from it, then you can't afford to be racing / drifting it"

MeZ Prod
28th June 2012, 05:06 PM
Seeing as you're in Sunny Coast.

Morning sessions/ Sunday sessions are your best bet.

Morning seshs are held pretty frequently and are run on Queensland Raceways main track. As a beginner this is prime time to learn, the days are chillaxed to the shieet and the skills range from badass to beginner.

Sunday sessions are run every 2nd Sunday and are run on Queensland Raceways "Short Track" which is pretty much a dedicated drift only track. Dont let the walls daunt you, just dont go near them hahah :P
Qr also does Friday nights but in my opinion they are a bit too crowded/risky as a beginner with a fair few heroes out and about.

You can find out when events are on QR's facey or their website.

Also you have Archy which is run every Thursday night (4-8 i believe) NizzPro/Coastal Performance Garage on the Gold Coast look after it now. Its usually a case of just rock up but if you want to make sure give the guys down there a bell!

You are in the right state. :)

sundee
6th July 2012, 07:30 PM
You are in the right state. :)

thats for sure :(
never move to NSW if you want to drift... most of the events here are over crowded and well over priced! some of them have the monopoly and take well advantage of it!

Matt
7th July 2012, 02:07 AM
Hopefully we will be running track events soon

killabeez_1985
7th July 2012, 09:43 PM
"if you can't afford to set the car on fire and walk away from it, then you can't afford to be racing / drifting it"

This is so true. My mate just lost his perfect r32 gtr on lakeside the other week. All on finance. So if you dont own it outright dont even think of it!!!!

sundee
8th July 2012, 11:03 AM
^ there are ways around that..

i do agree with the whole finance thing thought.

Matt
8th July 2012, 01:29 PM
You'd be surprised at the number of accidents that occur on the rd outside wakefield...

Gunner
8th July 2012, 11:03 PM
Yep that gravel covered intersection up the rd from the track is just down right dangerous lol.

As for the nsw drift scene, dont get too fired up at the clubs, after gettig to see the behind the scenes happening at driving sports, those guys go.through hell, and rarely make enough to keep the events happening, if.you want someone to blame, look at the board of directors.of EC, who are very very anti drift/grass roots, the same.wankers that banned drag racing, amd.have tried to stop drifting on the main track through ridiculous hire fees.

Matt
9th July 2012, 08:53 AM
Ec go karting is equally as criminal

Vaughn
9th July 2012, 10:03 AM
Also live on the sunny coast dude, what do you drive? (sorry if you have already stated)

s13 james
10th July 2012, 09:25 PM
if you dont own a car to drift in,a s13 is way more cost effective rather than 86 or 70, jump in a stock 1 pretty much and have a crack,decent turbo one for like 7g,even a non turbo sr will still be fun as to learn in,my mates dose pretty sweet, then ur set for awhile coilovers bolt in dont need different lcas,steering arms and general bullshit needed,thow saying that my current 86 shits over the s13's ive had haha, but s13,14 are great