PDA

View Full Version : Castle Hill Performance Centre - Turbo 86

Matt
17th August 2012, 07:15 PM
Castle Hill Performance Centre have recently finished development on a drive in / drive away turbo kit for the 86 / BRZ.

Components

http://www.performancegarage.com.au/sites/default/files/blog-content/turbo861.JPG

Haltech Sprint 500 ECU
Garrett 2871 Turbocharger Running at 5.8PSI
Front Mounted Intercooler
Option to retain the Factory Airbox
Powdercoated Black Piping
Factory direct port injection controller
Scavenger Oil Pump

Dyno Dynamics Results

Stock Standard: As it rolled off the factory floor - initial dyno results yielded 103kw
Castle Hill Performance Turbo Charger Kit - 98 RON Fuel : An increase of 60kw at the wheels to a peak power of 163kw 5psi
Castle Hill Performance Turbo Charger Kit - E85 Fuel : An increase of an impressive 110kw at the wheels to a peak power of 213kw 8psi * Required haltech sports 1000 ecu and GM Flex Fuel Sensor*

Observations

The turbo is mounted very low near the gearbox housing, and is considered somewhat bad for most turbo installations. However, with the installation of a scavenger oil pump this issue was quickly overcome and the oil supply is well within tolerances.

The kit is extremely well put together and a non ethusiast would be forgiven for mistaking it as a factory option. The intercooler looks at home behind the front bar and if painted black would be easily missed as very few modifications were required to make it fit.

Over all it is a well assembled kit and the only real choice is to run E85 or 98 pump fuel.

Is E85 Worth the extra 53.2kw?

53kw at the wheels is definately a power increase that you will notice under your right foot. A few years ago, finding a petrol station that knew what E85 fuel is was near impossible, let alone one that actually supplied it. However, as the use of the fuel is increasing the petrol stations are starting to stock it and it isn't pretty easy to find somewhere to fill up these days.

Due to the nature of the E85 fuel, the alcohol content is significantly higher and it burns at a much faster rate than that of traditional petrol's. This requires the upgrade of your fuel injectors and the installation of a GM Flex Fuel Sensor as the fuel composition with ethanol changes significantly. As such the tune needs to be adjusted to suit, hence the installation of the Haltech sports 1000 ecu.

Ultimately you as the driver will need to decide wether you want double the power of a standard 86 or would be happy with only a 50% increase.

For pictures of the kit please visit http://www.performancegarage.com.au/blog/vid-turbo-flex-fuel-86

or enjoy the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OYM6iN5DAg&feature=player_embedded

$6995 supply only with no ecu or tuning soultion,
$9995 fully installed and tuned.

t-nol
18th August 2012, 05:21 PM
Awesome, the E85 tune is sooo much smoother throughout. Now to take the engine apart and build it to suit the turbo application for decent boost.

Matt
20th August 2012, 07:33 PM
^ Agree totally...

Castle Hill Performances pricing is $9,995 drive in / drive away.

FoldKing86
21st August 2012, 07:19 PM
^ Agree totally...

Castle Hill Performances pricing is $9,995 drive in / drive away.

Thats not too bad.

Is that the eflex tune with haltech 1000 and 3" exhaust.

BentBob
22nd December 2012, 11:05 AM
So... I heard that not long after this video was taken this car threw a rod through the block.
Then either the owner or Castle Hill Perf took all of the turbo gear off the car and tried to return it under warranty to the dealer.... lol
Warranty denied because they had to hack up so much stuff under the engine bay that it was obvious a turbo conversion was done

Can anybody confirm its the car in this video? Anybody know the owner or anything?

FoldKing86
22nd December 2012, 11:48 AM
So... I heard that not long after this video was taken this car threw a rod through the block.
Then either the owner or Castle Hill Perf took all of the turbo gear off the car and tried to return it under warranty to the dealer.... lol
Warranty denied because they had to hack up so much stuff under the engine bay that it was obvious a turbo conversion was done

Can anybody confirm its the car in this video? Anybody know the owner or anything?

I wouldn't know what car your referring too but im not surprised by someone throw a rod thru the block.

Unless your tuning is spot on 100% of the time, 10+ psi, high compression + other unforeseen variables gives little to no room for error especially on stock engines.

LOL at returned for warranty, kudos for trying thou.

Matt
22nd December 2012, 01:41 PM
Bob can you reveal who you heard that from?

I also will check to see if any engine warranty claims have been submitted with Toyota for a hole in the block.

ae8zn6
22nd December 2012, 01:53 PM
Throwing it out there

I picked up my car from Windsor Toyota yesterday and the service manager told me about this car and how they denied the warranty after a quick Google search of the plates brought up this video...

So I would call that confirmed

Matt
22nd December 2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks robbo... Confirmation , I wonder how the other turbo builds are going...

After my post questioning the validity of
the claims, I got a pm saying the owner is still looking for a replacement block and suitable pistons

it lasted just over a month @ 7psi

FoldKing86
22nd December 2012, 03:41 PM
it lasted just over a month @ 7psi

Ouch that's not very good at all, i wonder what the issue was, could of been a number of things really.

nelpd96|
22nd December 2012, 04:23 PM
Guys there is no hidden agenda with this vehicle, everything that has happened to it is well documented on Performance Forums where the owner is a regular and so is Dale from CHE.

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67262843-FT-86-to-be-named-FR-S/page163&highlight=Toyota+86+turbo+castle

Start reading from about page 160ish

Matt
22nd December 2012, 06:47 PM
Cheers for the link... Dale is very open about what happened , and to be fair this wouldn't be the first FA20 engine that has been lunched nor will it be the last...

Though the car did run : 13.11 @ 107.19 MPH 60' 2.045 on its first outing and 12.89 @ 106.30 (1.89 60') later on.

pizzaeater
22nd December 2012, 09:46 PM
Such a shame... I wonder what a new FA20 engine would cost and if you would be able to get one?

Matt
22nd December 2012, 10:33 PM
~$4k from an importer. Quite a few available already

ahstwin
22nd December 2012, 11:30 PM
Such a high compression ratio paired with boost (Even if it was sub 10 psi) would kill the engine eventually. A rebuilt engine FA20 would be more suitable (None of that thicker head gasket business) haha

BentBob
23rd December 2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the link, they clearly haven't tried to hide the fact that the engine lunched itself, on the Internet anyway.
Trying to claim warranty is taking the piss a bit though...

Matt, I heard that this happened from a mate who works at Toyota.
Apparently most of the turbo gear was removed but it was pretty clear something had been done to the car. Then they found the video on YouTube and put 2&2 together.

Good on them for having a crack at adding more power, from the thread it seems they'll do a bit more of a substantial build this time.