PDA

View Full Version : Toyota GT86 / 86 Recall notice

Matt
12th September 2012, 03:33 PM
Rumours have been surfacing that the source of the check engine light coming on and stalling of the 86 is related to the VVTI module.

TMCA have yet to issue a recall notice and are investigating the issue , but it is anticipated that a recall notice will be issued in the coming days.

AIROCOBRA
12th September 2012, 04:13 PM
Bugger !!!!! Off coarse this sort of thing would never happen to a AE86.

Dori_Dori
12th September 2012, 04:42 PM
I wonder what the field/component repair will be like....

ae71
12th September 2012, 08:07 PM
It's scary how many recalls happen, most of them without the owners even knowing if it's for non safety things. This is a new car so I would expect some recalls with it.

Nikkojoe
13th September 2012, 12:31 AM
here is what the guys in the USA are having done (stability warning light and check engine light come up - related to idle dip, rough operation even if no light does come up). CEL is related to cam positioning issues with some major cases of complete engine failure being reported. Most of the issues are in the USA due to it being the largest market, with some cars failing with less than 20miles on the odometer! Any BRZ or 86 (AT or MT) are affected.

Got mine back today. Total of 12 days in the shop. Still waiting to hear on an extended warranty/compensation. Everything seems great so far. *Knock on wood*

Cross posting this with the other thread just so it's referenced:

Parts:
SU003-00285 SPKT AY-CMS, EXH RH
SU003-00096 VALVE AY-OIL CONT
00295-00103 FIPG OIL PAN
SU003-04522 UNIT-EGI CONTROL
AR2 BRAKE CLNR
00272-GTBC1-01 SUPER LONG LIFE COOLANT BLUE

101 REMOVED TIMING COVER AND VVTI GEAR AND SENSOR WITH ECU PER TAS. AFTER INSTALLING GEAR AND SENSOR ROAD TESTED. OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME.

Initial Diagnostic:
101 CHECK ENG LIGHT 140021 7.00 CHECK CODES FOUND P0017 OPEN CASE WITH TAS TRYING TO GET THROUGH TO TAS 3 DAYS ON AND OFF HOLD TIME WROTE ON RO TAS REC BANK1 OCV SENSOR VVTI GEAR ECM ORING S TEAR SEALER TEAR DOWN AND INSTALL NEW PARTS ROAD TEST AND INSTALL ECU REROADTEST FOUDN NO COAD CLEAN ENG AND SHIP GET PART STAMP TECH 108

I have seen a flow chart of the BRZ bulletin. It pretty much will swap the sensors from left to right to see if the issue is resloved (99% of them it seems dont work still - ie the problem still exists on the same bank as before). After replacing and swapping of all sensors, sprockets, solenoids etc; if still displaying CEL the ecu is replaced.... which seems to fix 99% of them. If issue still there it goes into an infinite loop of repairs (looking at the flow chart).

japman2202
13th September 2012, 01:06 AM
All cars have recalls, just some are more major.

Haven't seen any come into work yet.

jakel
13th September 2012, 01:44 AM
No bulletins on SARIS yet about it, ill have a look tomorrow at work if there's any. Toyota's are going to shit, not as good as they used to be, new recall on diesel hiaces, injectors on 19 odd thousand cars and egr pipes as well on others, camry/aurion fuel lines, all the shitty hilux tailshaft center bearing crossmembers, and they're only some of them!

Nikkojoe
15th September 2012, 08:22 AM
Ecu reflash seems to be the fix in USA for these as of today. Some people have started receiving the update but not sure what results are like yet.

Haven't seen anything on the Australian front yet...

Matt
17th September 2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/3/4/9/538293.jpg

So there you go... Looks like Toyota needs more information before being able to fix it...

Matt
9th October 2012, 03:10 PM
The official response is: “It does involve the variable valve timing, but it does not involve a mechanical repair,” Lyons said. He said the rough idle is the result of the ECU’s attempting to work around its detection of the anomaly, rather than what is triggering the fault code. The reflash “broadens the tolerance of detection [. . .] This is not a mileage-dependent condition. No replacement of the ECU is needed at any mileage to rectify the issue. The ECU re-flash is the fix. There is not a defect concerning the ECU.”

Nikkojoe
10th October 2012, 11:39 PM
My mate just received his WRB BRZ today (No. 167) and it's back at the dealership after throwing a CEL (with rough idle) at 16km on the odometer (car delivered with 8km).

Checked the pending code (was not stored) and it threw a P0300 (multiple missfires detected) and P0019 Camshaft position Bank2. Took it back with 29km on the car and will be checked first thing in the morning, however CEL was gone and no codes stored). TCS lamp was not lit.

jakel
11th October 2012, 01:43 AM
Wow, give you confidence in new cars, haha.

Matt
29th November 2012, 06:45 PM
With the world wide market it is expected that ECU tweaks will be required as the cars head out into the wilderness as such....

There has been a technical bulletin released that indicates that any Toyota car that was manufactured mid October will have a different tune on it which doesn't have the Check engine fault the early edition 86's have.

Anyone experiencing the issue can take their car into their nearest Toyota dealership for a reflash of their ecu.

Good luck to those who are running ECUTEK tunes... But I anticipate it wouldn't be hard to merge the changes into the ECUTEK tunes.

Vance
29th November 2012, 10:31 PM
my car was made july/sept with a sept build date. i havent had any problems anyone on the internet is saying theyre having..... im either very lucky, or i didnt thrash my car straight from the dealership and let the adaptive computer do its thing.

i will however get a "new" ecutek tune when they have merged said changes into them. i dislike how it leans out for emissions and fuel economy between 3k and 4k. i dont rev it over 3k max (usually 2.5k or less shifts) for everyday driving so i dont need the lean section. when i rev it higher than that im reving it out.

ae8zn6
4th December 2012, 10:03 AM
Don't think it has anything to do with thrashing it from pickup, there have been cases of CELs with less than 30 miles on the clock (ie at pickup) and the most noticeable problem is at idle.

Even with all the cases though, it is still a minority of cars that are throwing this problem.

rthy
5th December 2012, 01:36 PM
fyck it, engine swap!

sprinter666
11th December 2012, 12:17 PM
2jz?

Matt
8th January 2013, 09:00 PM
Anyone else had check engine lights come on?

Nikkojoe
9th January 2013, 09:32 PM
Happy to report no CEL on the new revised/fixed ECU (November built, ~650cars after fix)

However I did have a slight idle glitch where the idle was dancing around between 550 and 750rpm @ the 150km mark. A quick stab of the throttle fixed this and no issues since (rock solid smooth idle). Idle mapping is a little bit poor in places but can be fixed later if you tune it yourself.

Saikou
12th January 2013, 07:19 PM
Nov Built as well no CEL issue or any other issue to report. 700km on the odo now. still doing break-in procedure. Had it since New Year's Eve.