PDA

View Full Version : torque wrench cheap but good?

egg_83
13th June 2009, 09:04 AM
Im looking at getting a torque wrench and wondering what others have used, I want something that is going to accurate but cheapish also.
If prices, brand and where you puchased can be posted it would be great.

Mickey H
14th June 2009, 03:42 PM
What do you need it for? if you are doing engine rebuild's I would recommend you get the best one possible. I have a 1/2 inch T&E torque wrench, works fine for head gaskets but When I do my rebuild I'll probably buy a better one

egg_83
14th June 2009, 05:44 PM
What do you need it for? if you are doing engine rebuild's I would recommend you get the best one possible. I have a 1/2 inch T&E torque wrench, works fine for head gaskets but When I do my rebuild I'll probably buy a better one

That is the question im asking bud, as the one that costs the most isnt always the best.
Im not going to fork out $1000 for a torque wrench and only use it a few times.

I did read on the old forum about a wrench that was a cheapish one but made by the same factory as a top brand name one. Anyone know?

ae71
14th June 2009, 09:10 PM
king chrome?

the type that have the push in button then "clicks" off are hell easy to use and dont really go out of calibration. some other more complex types can go out of calibration. remember never use it as a breaker bar.

those couple of times that you use it maybe worth while spending more getting a good brand name one. if you where putting 10k into a motor and using a $15 toque wrench... that wouldnt make sense to me.

dave2221
14th June 2009, 09:35 PM
i have a total tool one, seems to be good quality

pen15
14th June 2009, 10:13 PM
supercheap have them on sale every so often and they go for around 50-100 doll hairs and are the shit as i have used a few now and bang for your buck they are the go sorry as i don't remember the brand but just go ask em when they have sales on hope this helps u but as said before the more basic the wrench the better it will be

egg_83
15th June 2009, 03:28 PM
king chrome?

the type that have the push in button then "clicks" off are hell easy to use and dont really go out of calibration. some other more complex types can go out of calibration. remember never use it as a breaker bar.

those couple of times that you use it maybe worth while spending more getting a good brand name one. if you where putting 10k into a motor and using a $15 toque wrench... that wouldnt make sense to me.

I totally agree but im not putting 10k into a motor, more like 400 so i dont see the need for a expensive one.

Prewer
16th June 2009, 11:21 PM
Head to repco, ask for a price on a warren and brown one, 1/2 inch drive.

Price should be around $330 inc gst and postage.

I work at one of the stores in Tassie, sold a couple only last week, great wrench and can be re-callibrated, even though its suggested to be done every two years.

Quality workshop Tension Wrench.

Hope that helps,

Prewer

--Redwork--
16th June 2009, 11:44 PM
super cheap ones are SHIT... as too are the king crome ones that look exactly the same...

The ones that have the twisty handel to set the torque are all rubish... Stay away at all costs... You may save moeny when you buy one but when you snap bolts or your engine falls apart or spins a bearing cause the tensions aren't right it will cost you HEAPS MORE.

As AE71 said... The deflection beem ones with the button are the go..
Just remember to push the button everytime...

Was doin a job not long ago to 850flb.. took three of us pushing VERY HARD on a torque rench that was about 1700 long, and old mate forgot to push the button.!! pushing pushing pushing.. WHEN THE FUCK IS THIS GUNNA CLICK.. LOL

But a good quality rench that you will keep pretty much forever wil set you back around $300 I just bought a Sidcrome one not long ago. Was $330. Would have preferd a warren and brown one, or a moore and wright... But was in a rush and Sidcrome was all I could get hold of.
PS... I don't rate Sidcrome tools.... Since they were bought out and the tools market has been flooded with good quality cheap tools I don't see the point in spending double the money on a product thats not really any better... That is regarding normal ratchets, spanners ect... NOT TORQUE WRENCHES.. SPEND THE MONEY and get a good Brand name wrench.

egg_83
17th June 2009, 08:54 AM
Warren and Brown dual signal deflecting beam tension/torque wrench 20ft/lb to 200ft/lb

So something like this will do the job for a rebuild?

af300e
17th June 2009, 11:25 AM
PS... I don't rate Sidcrome tools.... Since they were bought out and the tools market has been flooded with good quality cheap tools I don't see the point in spending double the money on a product thats not really any better... That is regarding normal ratchets, spanners ect... NOT TORQUE WRENCHES.. SPEND THE MONEY and get a good Brand name wrench.

The sidchrome deflectin beam torque wrenches are Warren and Brown jobbies. Ie. One of the best.
Quote (from Tools Unlimited website): "The torque wrench is made by Warren and Brown in Australia, exclusively for Sidchrome. Spare parts, repair and re calibration service is available through Stanley Australia (Sidchrome)."

I have 3 torque wrenches. A Warren Brown, a repco branded Norbar and a repco branded chinese one.

The chinese one i suspect has become slightly less calibrated after very little work (one motor) hence i bought the WB to replace it.
The Norbar is very very good. It gets a lot of use (0-20Nm) on dirtbikes and cars and is still very accurate.
The WB is also excellent (5 -120Nm)

The WB was around $200 (ebay) and the two repco ones were each $200 so obviously the small Norbar is a much dearer wrench than the larger one even though the two are Repco branded.

Get a decent one. As long as you don't go for a snap-on (pay $200 for name $200 for wrench and no better than WB) you are getting excellent value for money especially in a $250 WB.

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod4534.htm
VS
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=55372&group_ID=955&store=australia&dir=catalog $540!!!!!!!!

egg_83
17th June 2009, 12:53 PM
What torque range will i need to do a 4a rebuild?
10-160Nm
0r
30-270Nm

biggo
17th June 2009, 09:13 PM
10-160nm

i use repco. They have a lifetime warranty. Used mine ahandfull of times, cant complain yet.

Come to think of it, all my tools are repco except for a few specialty tools, man im weird

--Redwork--
17th June 2009, 09:28 PM
Cool I never knew my toque rench was made by warren and brown... That makes me all warm inside to know that... :)

Biggo... Repco tools..??
Are you aware of what repco stands for.?

R ip
E very
P oor
C unt
O ff

I shop at trade tools... Allmost 90% of my tools are either their own branded tools or Force.. Haven't broken or damaged a single one yet... Even hitting ratchet spanners with hammers and so on... still all perfect condition.

af300e
17th June 2009, 10:50 PM
How's this for interest's sake.

I was just looking at comparable Snap-on and Norbar wrenches:

Snap-on: 20-120Nm, accuracy +/- 4% $540
Norbar: 20-120Nm, accuracy +/- 3% $319

So, pay less, get more accurate wrench.

Fuck snap-on pricing shits me! It's only dear because fanboys want the sticker on their tool boxes.
In many cases their tools are less engineered and lower quality, especially when compared to the german stuff like stahlwille.

I do have some snap-on stuff but only the odd thing that I've picked up cheap on ebay (ratchets, impact sockets etc). I wouldn't own any of their stuff if i had to pay retail for it.

pen15
21st June 2009, 04:25 PM
10-160nm

i use repco. They have a lifetime warranty. Used mine ahandfull of times, cant complain yet.

Come to think of it, all my tools are repco except for a few specialty tools, man im weird

out of interest biggo how much was it and what type

lo_rolla
3rd July 2009, 03:25 PM
You know that technically every bolt on the car should be torqued? But who's gonna bother with that. My work wheels warranty paper says I should torque 'em.

I've used a few over the years working as an Engine reconditioner and have found by far my favourite type to be Deflecting Beam type (Warren& Brown etc etc) - http://www.warrenandbrown.com.au/PrecisionTools/ProductTree.aspx?From=Cat&ProductId=61
and have used KC Tools twisty handle ones, which had a ratchet - very tempting to use as a breaker bar as some fasteners (ARP rod bolts for example) need to be tightened and loosened 3 times, before final assembly - to stretch the bolt so it doesn't stretch under operating stresses. You just wanna do 'em up, hit the ratchet, undo 'em, hit the ratchet do 'em up again etc etc... Which isn't good for the torque wrench.

And I've used some biggens, done a rod bolt up to 300ft/lb for an industrial compressor.

Mickey H
18th September 2009, 12:06 PM
Got one of these: http://www.warrenandbrown.com.au/PrecisionTools/ProductTree.aspx?From=Cat&ProductId=61
So much better than the shitty T&E wrench i was using, I paid 250$ for mine but that might of been trade price. Deflecting beam>*

fantapants
18th September 2009, 08:56 PM
i just got a kingchrome one $125... is half inch and 250nm

stuartgze
11th October 2009, 11:06 AM
get a WB if you not using it much. I use a snapon 1/2 inch drive for work and it's good but cost $660. i don't really buy anything other than snapon. most of the other stuff is just a waste of time if you use it everyday. German stuff if also good but just as over priced.

lolwat
6th November 2009, 07:04 PM
buy a good one, it may seem expensive, but then think everytime you use that you know its going to be accurate because there is no such thing as an AWESOME good and cheap tool

Maciek
20th November 2009, 07:17 PM
go to cash converters, i once saw a torque wrench for 150 bucks so i went home and looked it up to see if cashies actually knew anything about tools, was worth $350

rthy
22nd November 2009, 12:12 PM
tengtools was selling one for $90 on sale
http://www.tengtools.com.au/

lolwat
26th November 2009, 11:03 PM
one thing my boss told me today, as i was using one to do up head bolts on a 2jz:D, is that you should always wind them back to 0(on mine 20nm) when you are finished as leaving it, leaves the spring loaded and will fuck it

housefull
22nd February 2010, 11:52 AM
i have a total tool one, seems to be good quality
supercheap have them on sale every so often and they go for around 50-100 doll hairs and are the shit as i have used a few now and bang for your buck they are the go sorry as i don't remember the brand but just go ask em when they have sales on hope this helps u but as said before the more basic the wrench the better it will be

kokopuffs
7th July 2011, 01:25 AM
sorry to bring this back but has anyone tried this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kincrome-Deflecting-Beam-Torque-Wrench-3-8-Dr-NEW-K8031-/320672290180?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa98ed584
kincrome 3/8 deflecting beam and its cheaper than wb

Nicko
7th July 2011, 04:43 AM
WB is "worth" getting re-calibrated when it gets older. That is $220ish to buy, but $80 to calibrate

Kincrome is worth $100 and $80 to calibrate, making it disposable.

I would pay the extra for the WB

McLEVIN
7th July 2011, 05:03 AM
Cash converters can be very good for picking up bargain tools...also very good for finding your stolen tools too